• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe I'm ready to quit IV Bupe. Tips and previous experience appreciated

Glock19x

Greenlighter
My friend has been on this poison for 5 years, and has IV'd it the entire time. Cotton swabs as the filter. He knows it's quite stupid and only now that his faculties have cleared and he has finally reached the point of not craving heroin (or opiates in general) anymore, is he interested in taking real steps to start coming off of it. He used to think that because it was taken IV, when he decides to come off, it will be in his system to a lesser degree and the W/D won't be as bad. He can only imagine the damage that's been done to his heart and circulatory system, he had a good vein he used for 8 months and now that it's dead, that was the last straw. Tired of poking and prodding looking for an avenue for the placebo effect to diminish. He knows a majority of this is addiction to the needle and the ritual of it, but he was wondering if there were any legitimate concerns. Should he stock pile extra before switching? I have some clonidine I could give him to help. He takes 2 8mg tablets a day, each tablet split into about 6 shots, taken every 2 hours as needed/desired, sometimes double doses after 6-8 hours depending on work.

That being said, having actually found God has been a big help and he thinks he has the ability to take two months to himself and get clean. He has cut out all of the bad people and has no way to contact them, no desire to (which is a pretty big deal) but does occasionally take benzos that are prescribed, should those be stockpiled and used to fight the severity of withdrawal?

Would it be better to detox from the IV roa, or intranasal/oral? I don't think a taper will work very well for him he still has addictive issues and has problems cutting himself down. He expects it to suck regardless but is worried about self harm if the withdrawals are as bad as when he would come off H and had to deal with something that severe for weeks on end. Looking forward to hearing anybody's similar experience or tips/advice. He's pretty sure moving from the needle to snorting or oral won't be terrible but some reassurance always helps. Thanks

Hey, well done for deciding to quit! To avoid further harm I would recommend switching to sublingual use and taper that way. Then when the taper gets hard, you could try pregabalin, just for a few days each time you drop whilst you adjust to the lower dose. You could also try it for switching from IV to sublingual use, as you're only gonna be getting about half of the bupe into your system this way. Or just increase your dose temporarily. It's very doable. The benzos will help a lot too. Good luck!

It’s going to be a brutal withdrawal at 16 mg per day. I could never do that without tapering down first.

Definitely stop shooting it that drug is known for fucking up viens badly

Last edited:
I guess I was asking for some tips on dosage reduction for differing ROA. Was hoping there would be a couple people that IV'd the pills and went back to oral or intranasal. I know the bioavailability differentiates, but because of how bupe acts and a relatively low dosage being able to saturate enough of the receptors to prevent withdrawal, I was hoping my friend could stockpile an extra 10 pills and just dose if he felt some type of way. I've withdrawn from an insane H habit before, I had a connection to something relatively pure and was doing more than 4 grams of that a day, I recall the water being so black even after being filtered a couple times that it was hard to distinguish the blood plume from the hit, just had to go off the water swirling differently. So I am familiar with the struggle and some of the basics.

I agree the goal is to get down to at least a single tablet a day which I think is doable but what I meant was I do not believe my muchacho is going to be adept at cutting down the dose to what I've seen many people get to which is 2, 1, .5mg type stuff.

I've lurked for many years and used to have quite a bit more knowledge on the subject but this shit has been frying my brain, combined with age it's super noticeable. I'm almost in my mid thirties and while thankful for subs because they saved my life undoubtedly, I'm interested in hearing other's stories.

Thanks axe, yeah I was thinking I'd be losing about half the dosing but as a positive I thought the frequency of the dosing could be curtailed due to changing. Which would probably lead to less mg's throughout the course of a day. I have never used pregabalin nor have I heard much or read much regarding it, I will have to see how difficult it is to acquire, but what does it assist with mainly? Is it like the clonidine, helping the restlessness and shaking?

I do have an exceptionally high tolerance to benzos and I think I might of gotten addicted once a couple years back with just playing a little too loose and fast with the length of time (maybe a 3 week period after acquiring 1000 pills as payment for a job. Still in their prescribed bottles. writing this out I hear "1 is too many" ringing in my head lol). I get 30 1mg tablets a month and if I want to have a day where I "party", I can take the entire 32 diazepam or clonazepam throughout the day without too much issue (I would dose 5-7 1mg tablets at a time).I would be able to interact with individuals in a rather decent manner being told I seemed like I had a mild buzz or had a few beers at worst. Which is important information because you never feel like you're fucked up when you're fucked up lol. I had taken 3 months off and was able to eat 6 2mg xanax bars. High euphoria, memory loss but no black out or anything. I'm able to not take any extra for the rest of the month and do the same thing when the prescription is ready for pick up if I so desire, so 30 in a day again, after not using them for 29 days. Not standard practice but I have done it as the one outlet/release I still have. I never use benzos more than 2 days in a row regardless of dosage and I don't do the high dosing back-to-back like that. I am aware of the compounding issues that start to arise with half-life and the concentration in the blood combined with the opiate. I don't fuck with street pills these days, nor have I ever much. I assume that's the long half-life but I'm not sure why I had the same reaction after waiting 90 days + before.

Benzos were always something that helped a legit issue I had (seriously stupid over-active fight or flight response) so I have not abused them to even a remote degree I did opiates/opioids. I'm not able to feel anything less than 4mg's if I'm not trying to get a buzz, never have been even when a benzo virgin. But just trying to come out of a freakout or PTSD moment anything less than 4mg of whatever the acting chemical is doesn't work, have tried various experiments on myself xanax is the most effective but I can't get it prescribed to me if it was dependent on saving my life lol. I suppose I could post this portion on the Benzo part of the forum but I imagine there is plenty of crossover of Bupe use and Benzo use.