• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Inhaling oil contaminants in nitrous oxide chargers?

I humbly submit the below for your constructive criticism before I begin to disseminate
-------------
N20 has been used for over 170 years and it's safety has been established, most notable danger is the (serious) ability to absolutely devastate your B12 levels should you not supplement with it proactively.

however there are plenty of ways to mess yourself up with it, as with most substances use not abuse, respect your body and the substance!

Here are some more appropriate non nuclear tips if your going to use N20.

1) Take B12 supplements. Methylcobalamin. Do not pass go. Do not skip this step. Get your ass on amazon and order this now. 

2) CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF. Do not dump empty whippets. These are steel and recyclable. I don’t care if a dolphin wont choke on it, your fellow citizens will think less of nitrous users everywhere thanks to your lazy ass if you don’t!/

3) Do it from a ballon, or LET THE DISPENSER WARM UP well after you crack it (10-15sec minimum) and take at low pressure. Frostbitten lungs suck and the charger holds the gas at 3 x atmospheric pressure.

4) Be aware of the pressure danger on your lungs taking it from a dispenser, balloons are safest but loading them can be loud. Respect your neighbours.

5) DO IT SITTING OR LAYING DOWN. Don’t let someone do it standing unless they are +10 lev pro. DO NOT HAND THE CRACKER TO A NOVICE AND LET THEM TRY IT STANDING, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR INJURY!
If a friend DOES try it standing or insist, get behind them ready to catch them. I’ve caught 4+ people counting. Each one can be a death with a head hit in the wrong place.

6) Best Brand / Filter for residue / clean cracker regularly (All of the above sunshine!)If your going to do more than 100 in a few day period, get the best brand possible Isi professional (purple), Ultrapure, Isi, Mosa. That order (subjective!) and use your t-shirt over the cracker dispenser!
Clean the inside of the dispenser regularly and be aware of the residues and cold and the effect of both on your lungs. The residue is oil used in the injection/manufacture process. The new Isi professional purple chargers are WAY cleaner, like unbelievably so, but more expensive. You can filter pretty well with a layer of cotton fabric (i.e. your t-shirt etc) DO NOT DO NOS WITHOUT DOING THIS. Erowid tested this and it eliminates over 90% of the residue/oils. Take it from a long time user, your lungs will appreciate this, be diligent about it.

7) Take B12 and some folic acid! Yes, this is point 1 as well. Don’t skip it bitch. (not together, b12 and folic acid next day. L-Methoine may also be an advanced asset here)
Nitrous oxide inactivates the cobalamin form of vitamin B12 by oxidation. Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency, including sensory neuropathy, myelopathy, and encephalopathy, can occur within days or weeks of exposure to nitrous oxide anesthesia in people with subclinical vitamin B12 deficiency.
DO NOT SKIP THIS POINT, you can end up with spinal degradation, temp or longer (permanent if your a fucking NOB who wont listen to your body and stop). If your a real NOS head take liquid b12 shots or level up and learn how to do intramuscular injections of B12, learn about whats going on. Medscape article about occupational exposure of nitrous on dentist assistants and midwifes is a goldmine. Methionine might also help your DNA synthesis continue (a good thing, trust me)

8) Take several deep and fast breathes before doing the nitrous. Take some nitrous, and some air. Don't hyperventilate into a balloon for as long as you can! Don't hold your breath for as long as you can. The nitrous interupts the normal C02/oxygen flow and you can hold you breath a lot longer than normal without the normal urges. Danger this way lies my friend. 20 secs is good. Longer is danger.
Rebreathing the nitrous in a balloon is useless. It's mostly absorbed first breath. Respect your bodies requirement for oxygen. The displacement of air from your lungs with an inert gas can dull the sense of NEEDING to breath. Approach it like free-diving or Wim Hof method. Pre load with oxygen.

9) Oh and if your doing 'doubles' or two chargers worth at once: Lay down and have a trip sitter. Nitrous very temporarily restricts bloodflow to extremities and your blue lips while laying unresponsive on the floor can be distressing to others and event security.
Ask yourself if doing this on the side of the dance floor is really worth it or whether a trip of this intensity (however brief) is perhaps best done is a safe, comfortable place with your friends watching over each other.

So, why you may ask, do people do chargers? Because when on psychedelics they act as a temporary amplifier, magnifying the trip by several multiples for 30-60secs, gifting some absolutely gorgeous visual and auditory hallucinations and deep personal revelations and fading away with an anaesthetic like body glow which is very pleasant. 

This can also make alcohol suddenly VERY UNPLEASANT. Alcohol and Nos don’t work well. It can also make mushrooms or other exotic recreational chemical suddenly very instense. BE AWARE, Look out for you mates!

However this strong effect can be used for good. Someone who is having a sideways trip can sometimes be knocked into a fresh path by a charger of NOS. 

Sharing is caring. No one is attracted to a NOS fiending crack whore of charger hog. I know they’re fun, let it go, they don’t get better and you can get more later. The friends you make could be for life ;-)

As with everything, responsible, respectful imbibing is key. Same goes for alcohol, tobacco and all recreational substances. Don't be a burden on those around you. Don't spread misinformation. Be a source of harm reduction to your friends and those around.
<3

http://justsayn2o.com/nitrous.donts.html

“Nitrous oxide is thought to be relatively harmless. It is only addictive in the psychological sense - in the same way that theme park rides or cheeseburgers are addictive because we like the effects they produce - and it isn't poisonous. Nevertheless it has produced at least one death from asphyxiation - if your lungs are full of nitrous oxide, you aren't getting any oxygen - and the way that a small amount of the gas can render someone semi-conscious makes it easy for a user to get into danger.”

https://www.chemistryworld.com/podcasts/nitrous-oxide/3005880.article

Bonus for those doing hundreds a day. Day after day. Ok this is next level and getting into abuse rather than use. You need to not only be very on the B12, you MUST take breaks of many days between such sessions or risk various effects including unusually high methylmalonic acid and homocysteine levels as well as risking motor neuropathy or neuronopathy which is no joke. See below studies. Be honest with yourself <3 Inject b12 and realise this drug has a huge potential for psychological addition (not physical, no withdrawals!)

Methionine depletion is also implicated in the neurological deficit which has been clearly shown to be a complication of chronic nitrous oxide abuse.

Random unsorted bonus notes for geeks below

Other practical methods might reduce the amount of residue in the output stream, such as placing a loose cloth inside the WCM, though this could propel cloth fibers into the output. A long, flexible tube on the WCM output nozzle might capture more of the residue and/or lower gas velocity enough to reduce the amount of inhaled particles.

all traces of the gas are excreted from the body within an hour after cessation of use

Nitrous oxide will dissolve out of blood into air filled spaces eg the intestines, the middle ear. N2O in the gut will just give you a gut pain, but if you have ever had middle ear disease, or damaged ear drums, you could be in for permanent hearing loss. There are also some cases of transient hearing loss, but I don't know much about this.

methylcobalamin is B12

This is almost certainly the cause of the megaloblastic anaemia and leucopaenia which follows prolonged administration, and it could well explain the foetotoxic effects of nitrous oxide

Methionine depletion is also implicated in the neurological deficit which has been clearly shown to be a complication of chronic nitrous oxide abuse.

Markers such as deoxyuridine suppression (dU-suppression), red cell folate, serum folate, Vit B12 and homocysteine levels have all been used to monitor for effects of N2O exposure as well as direct measurements of MS activity. Serum Vit B12 seems to be unaffected by N2O exposure. Studies have shown a good link between depletion of MS activity and both serum homocysteine levels and increased rates of dU-suppression and in the recovery of both to normal levels. These are generally the preferred markers of Vit B12 deficiency.

Because of that detoxification process, cyanocobalamin usage could potentially deplete glutathione (GSH), an important anti-oxidant that helps decrease lipid peroxidation associated with oxidative stress. Once glutathione stores are depleted, high dose cyanocobalamin might theoretically cause cyanide toxicity, especially in renal failure patients.
Because of that detoxification process, cyanocobalamin usage could potentially deplete glutathione (GSH), an important anti-oxidant that helps decrease lipid peroxidation associated with oxidative stress. Once glutathione stores are depleted, high dose cyanocobalamin might theoretically cause cyanide toxicity, especially in renal failure patients.
Also, some people may have clinical or sub-clinical conditions which inhibit them from being able to convert this form of B12 to the active forms, and eventually absorb it. In these cases, you will see your serum B12 levels increased (it counts both active and inactive B12), but you’ll have a functional deficiency of AdeCbl and MetCbl in tissues and other body fluids.

Besides, it takes more than 48 hours for cyanocobalamin B12 to eventually convert to usable methylcobalamin, and even then

Thus, it became apparent that N20 impairs DNA-synthesis through inactivation of the cob(1)alamindependent enzyme methionine synthase, which catalyzes the methylation of homocysteine in the generation of methionine under simultaneous demethylation of methyltetrahydrofolate to tetrahydrofolate (THF) (Fig. 1). Deficiency and inactivation of methylcobalamin both lead to a functional deficiency of folates by the “trapping” of metabolically formed methyl-THF and by the decreased potential of utilizing plasma folate, which is transported as methyl-THF after intestinal absorption [l l-131. N,O may provoke subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord in vitamin B,-deficient subjects [ 141. Analogous neurological complications have followed interrupted N,O breathing in addicted dentists [15] and continuous exposure in cynomolgus monkeys

Last edited:
The good/bad thing about that machine is how easy it is to load a new cart. I can go through 100 in less than an hour if I want to. It is like going from a muzzle loader to a falling block rifle. I have plans on the bench for a magazine fed loader (analogous to a bolt action) I also have a plan for an all electric version that keeps the bottle full. (pressure switch and a linear actuator) but I use too much gas now. ;)
Life was easier when they would fill a 20# bottle at the welding store. I have electric solenoid valves and a regulator for that.

Funnily enough, I had my first experience of N2O from balloons via the whippets canisters this afternoon.

Hippie crack? More like Hippie shit imo.

I've had nitrous before but only in hospital settings when the wife was in labour and it was alright, but nothing to shout about. But these fuckin canisters are wank. I couldn't believe you only get one balloon full per canister. One lungful. My daughter told me you're supposed to inhale then exhale back into the balloon repeatedly. But surely that's just depleting oxygen levels and increasing CO2 - aka suffocating. Perhaps there's a technique to it that I've yet to master, but I don't think it's worth bothering unless you've got a proper gas and air setup.

I know this is bad HR and can actually be lethal, but the buzz from huffing butane lighter fuel is far superior...

Last edited:
Nitrous on psychedelics is what you want to do. Nitrous by itself is just a buzz, for me. On psychedelics it's the most incredible thing.

^Exactly Nitrous Oxide is incredibly unbelievably enjoyable alongside other substances but alone it's not much fun at all...

Obviously small percentages of the oil must be acceptable for oral administration otherwise I'd expect the FDA up in arms over this.
Hmm

I'd be concerned with the metal shards described in one of the erowid posts

I was going to switch from xenon to nitrous until I realized all of this crap about contamination in the food grade nitrous. . Had a couple balloons and worried about permanent damage. Which I dont worry about with tanks of xenon

You just need a decent filter and all of that stuff is gone.
I tried using a t shirt as a filter but haven't noticed any residue either way --on the filter or not.

By the way guys , do they sell any of these brands of whipits at regular stores and what not

I tried using a t shirt as a filter but haven't noticed any residue either way --on the filter or not.

By the way guys , do they sell any of these brands of whipits at regular stores and what not

Well, the best way to find out how well it works would be to fill up a balloon and see how much residue is left in it.

I believe they also recommend using cotton balls in the nozzle I could be wrong. Someone mentioned putting it inside the WCM itself but I don't know if that's a good idea.

I assume the nitrous oxide is not getting lost from any of it getting slightly absorbed into these very important harm reduction filter methods that remove the harmful contaminants... that cause potential health effects without knowing how severe the short-term and long-term health problems r causing infrequent and or frequent users. It's an alarming fact that more people should be made aware of. Including how to prevent things like B12 deficiency & more caused by nitrous oxide use.

It's only the small number of responsible users that actually care to go about researching harm reduction facts that find out things like this or stumble upon this post.

I am getting ready to do a rebuild of my nitrous rig and I plan to see exactly how much did get collected in the soda bottle after over 12,000 carts. I will let you know. I can report the valve in the Ico bottle is still working but that plastic lever won't last more than a few hundred. The metal one I made is still doing fine

cart%20loader%20closed.JPG

I am getting ready to do a rebuild of my nitrous rig and I plan to see exactly how much did get collected in the soda bottle after over 12,000 carts. I will let you know. I can report the valve in the Ico bottle is still working but that plastic lever won't last more than a few hundred. The metal one I made is still doing fine

cart%20loader%20closed.JPG
@Gary White Did you manage to find out how much residue is collected yet? I'm curious as it's been almost a year since this post.

I hope your doing good btw.

When I dumped that container there was 20-30 CC of oil in it. (Not including what was on the sides) That was maybe 10 cases of carts (6000). I did swap rigs a while ago and just chucked the old stuff but there was a lot of oil in it. I don't know how much got out of the container and into the filter. I change the oil absorber occasionally and the only way I could tell would be to weigh it. It really didn't seem very discolored. I suspect most of the oil stays in the container. If you have it base down the siphon hose could pick it up and shoot it right at you tho. If you are using a hand held soda bottle, I would cut about half of that siphon hose off so it is not picking up oil from the bottom.