• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Is Ibogaine worth seeking out?

I have a friend who lives down south they do kambo treatments regularly and also do rattlesnake venom. I suppose the rattlesnake venom has been used for hundreds of years in small doses but I cannot find any info on it. Apparently they lightly burn about a cigarette sized hole on their arm or leg then drop about 10 units of rattlesnake venom on the burn. Apparently it's very healing and revitalizing.

I’ve done Kambo a few times and while it’s not for the faint of heart it definitely has this revitalizing property to it. You’ll feel more awake/alert than you have in a long time, like a cloud has been lifted. Not really psychedelic but mind altering still in a positive way.

-GC

I have no ibogaine experience but the things about wanting to change who you are and give up drug addiction are said about most psychedelic drugs. There are even clinical trials of psilocybin for meth and other drug addictions.

I would never bother trying ibogaine to quit drugs because I've tried every other psychedelic and while I usually get the enlightenment that drug addiction is wrong and I need to stop I'm usually doing some dope by the time I'm on the tail end of the comedown and all that "change my life" insight fades with the psychedelic drug high.

I don't beleieve there is any cure for being a drug addict. Very long periods od sobriety are the most likely thing to cleanse you of the obsession but even then I've head plenty of addicts with decades clean say they still think about using when life gets hard.

Ibogaine is not a psychedelic, really. It's got a completely different mechanism of action, and is very unique. It's definitely different and more effective for addiction than anything else I've tried by a huge margin. It seemed, for me, to work on a deeply subconscious/dream level and my patterns of behavior, not just in addiction but in every area of my life, were different afterwards. Completely different from serotonergic psychedelics. But it's not a miracle cure, there is none. I did a lot of work on myself afterwards which was a big part of it. After my flood dose, I had 2 years of near-constant amazingness and energy and vibrancy, but of course I was already in the process of changing myself life and ibogaine gave me a big push. I did relapse on opiates eventually when I experienced a set of really intense tragedies and have been struggling since but my life and perspective on myself have been different and better since my flood dose, even though I am struggling again with opiates. For whatever that's worth.

I posted about it last year earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
I think if someone as simple as spirituality can cure addiction(it has for me) Then I have no doubt about ibogaine. It is far different than any other psychedelic. They can hardly be compared. Not to mention ibogaine has a mechanism of action that we don't fully understand. It is very complex. I think the difference is ibogaine is far far more powerful and long acting than traditional psychedelics(even aya) and most importantly directly interacts with addiction issues on a physical chemical level while other psychedelics just give you incredible insight but have no effect on 'resetting' or upregulating receptors.

My obsession to use lifted long ago. I haven't done meth or had a desire to in years and same for heroin. My issue is 100% physical dependence on opioids. I made it 16 months without methadone and still experienced significant PAWS. I went to a low dose of bupe. If ibogaine can negate PAWS and it seems it can them im fully invested.

Yeah that's true about ibogaine, it directly works on the opioid receptors. it blocks withdrawal during the experience and for me it seemed to perform some sort of reset, it truly felt like I hadn't spent years being addicted to opiates. I did it while I was still in withdrawal, but I had tapered down and switched to kratom and was most of the way through withdrawal already. I came out of it feeling no withdrawal for days, and then I felt mild lingering symptoms but I just didn't care, the thought of doing opiates to deal with it seemed like the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It did something really profound on a very sub-conscious level. The whole experience was a series of dreams, it felt like I got a deep reorganization of my brain. I came out of it ready to make big changes and I did make them. I realized I have the power to do and be whatever I want. It wasn't through some revelation either, like I said it wasn't really happening on a conscious level. It wasn't an epiphany, it was something deeper. The entire way it works is extremely different from classical psychedelics.

It's certainly worth a try if you've tried everything else. But be prepared to make some changes in your life afterwards because otherwise you'll probably fall right back into old patterns after a while. For me, I left a toxic relationship, and started doing things that made me happy. I rediscovered music and immersing myself in a band and playing live music gives me that deep satisfaction that we need in life. Without those changes, I don't think I would have had 5 years clean without even having cravings.

I relapsed eventually when my dad was sick and suffering, I made a mistake and unfortunately the addiction is back. But my life is still much better. Ibogaine was profoundly positive for me.