• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Isopropanol extract of cannabis

i also made a butane extract, what they nowadays use for dabbing (idiotic imo). got a golden oil out of it but without an activity. this was confirmed by someone else who also used critical butane for this. did i do something wrong? suppose so. it was years ago and i went by instructions from the web...

If you ate it it wouldn't have activity because BHO isn't decarbed. If you smoked it and it had no activity I don't know what to say. That doesn't sound like weed.

smoked it, the IPA extract of the same weed was active and as said rather a knockout drug. so the mix of cannabinoids in the plant plays a crucial role when you want a good high. pure d9-thc seems disguisting. but hexahydrocannabinol is a different story. its strange but you can take it in its pure form without feeling more like stoned almost braindead.

These extract methods (IPA and BHO) are not selective when extracting cannabinoids. It's more expensive and time consuming to separate the individual noids than it is to just pull them all.

as said, some crucial (and also slightly active) plant chemicals get not extracted with IPA. some of these seem relevant for the recreational high that canabis produces. without them you just feel stoned and somehow disguisting weird and cannot enjoy anything, be it eating, listening to music, sex or even babbling the usual stoner stuff (nike shoes, the new iphone, how funny it was when steven stumbled etc).

about the butane extract i have no idea why it wasnt active.

I’ve had plenty of high quality BHO and it’s anything but disgusting. I’ll agree pure d9-THCA isn’t all that great, missing the body and purely mental. But Butane isn’t selective as already been said. Quality BHO should blow you’re head off in a good way.

-GC

Different parts of the plant have different effects, different cannabinoid mixes most likely. You extracted the trim from your bud. Extracting the bud might give a different high.

The fact that it's an extract will change things too, as you are selectively extracting some cannabinoids more and some less. Actively degrading some cannabinoids as well.

However, I used to do isopropanol extracts a lot, and you get very different effects from extracting different plant parts. If you extract fan leaves you will get something that will get you plenty high, but it is a concentrated version of a fan leaf high.
Not "up" or "happy", it tends toward a dull high which can cause a headache if you smoke too much.
I always smoked fan leaf resin in conjunction with something more desirable. To take away that tendency toward headache and brighten up the buzz.

Extracted bud gives a hugely different effect. Much more gooder.
Interestingly, stems associated with the bud have a great cannabinoid profile as well, just not much resin in them.

Different parts of the plant have different effects, different cannabinoid mixes most likely. You extracted the trim from your bud. Extracting the bud might give a different high.

The fact that it's an extract will change things too, as you are selectively extracting some cannabinoids more and some less. Actively degrading some cannabinoids as well.

However, I used to do isopropanol extracts a lot, and you get very different effects from extracting different plant parts. If you extract fan leaves you will get something that will get you plenty high, but it is a concentrated version of a fan leaf high.
Not "up" or "happy", it tends toward a dull high which can cause a headache if you smoke too much.
I always smoked fan leaf resin in conjunction with something more desirable. To take away that tendency toward headache and brighten up the buzz.

Extracted bud gives a hugely different effect. Much more gooder.
Interestingly, stems associated with the bud have a great cannabinoid profile as well, just not much resin in them.

Yea I used to save stems and then run acetone over them fairly quickly in a process somewhat similar to making BHO. The acetone quickly dissolves the trichromes on the outside, giving a nice honey amber oil as a result. Not quite BHO but definitely better than iso in purity. Also safer and easier for most people to perform.

Nowadays I just use them with scraps of weed in making butter. Just have to wash the butter a few times with water to clean it up.

I’ve also had extracts from various parts, bud run is advertised as such for a reason.

-GC

It was old weed. You basically made rso/feco with higher levels of CBN(cannibinol)

Tinctures and isolates is where it's at. Much more potent/efficient than flower. And the high usually last 6-8 hours

Yea I used to save stems and then run acetone over them fairly quickly in a process somewhat similar to making BHO. The acetone quickly dissolves the trichromes on the outside, giving a nice honey amber oil as a result. Not quite BHO but definitely better than iso in purity. Also safer and easier for most people to perform.

Nowadays I just use them with scraps of weed in making butter. Just have to wash the butter a few times with water to clean it up.

I’ve also had extracts from various parts, bud run is advertised as such for a reason.

-GC
Not exactly related but, I've noticed that eating pot will make the various highs from differing parts of the plant (and also the "Indica/Sativa difference) tend to converge... as in more resemble each other. It doesn't make them identical, just makes them more similar. Butter made with fan leaf is actually the best use for it since the high is a little nicer. You can water wash it as well.

When I've had a smaller amount of stems, I have steeped them in whole milk for a while, then added some Hershey's syrup for a cup of pot chocolate. :)

Back when outdoor growing was king, you could get fan leaves for a song. Not so much nowadays. I miss being able to get fan leaves and trim very easily. Trim was a great "morning smoke". IMO, those are all used in edibles now.

Last edited:
Thinking about making some cold quick wash iso with some of my flower. Was able to get 1/2 of shake of various strains mixed from the med shop for less than what they charge for an 1/8th of top shelf. It's kinda dry and doesn't have the best taste but is loaded with crystals. Last time I made some out of a decent amount of kief after I was done making it I was holding to biggest piece had a hand spasm and dropped 90% of my yield and was unable to find it. What I did have left didn't look very pretty but smoked really nice in a bowl. Also I did get some crystal precipitant on the sides.

i dont get dabbing. they do it. it seems ok for them. but why. you get and need a rediculous high tolerance for it. it makes no sense. dabbing is dumb.

Here’s how I made an ISO extract.

-Ratio is 7 g coarsely ground bud to 100 ml of either 99 or 100% ISO.
-I get 99% ISO from any pharmacy. I ask for it b/c I do home dialysis.
-So with 1 oz (28g) weed, that would be 4 100,l bottles of 99% ISO.
-Put the ground weed in a tupperware container, burp it and place it in the freezer.
-Put the ISO bottles in the freezer also, or better, add all the ISO to the mason jar below.
-Put a 1L mason jar + sealable thingy in the freezer. Also a kitchen funnel with a prefitted filter paper goes into the freezer. A craft store should have filter paper, perhaps a home hardware store, or fast flowing filter paper from Amazon.
-Everything sits in the freezer overnite.
-Have a second mason jar ready, but not in the freezer

-Next morning have a spanking clean glass baking dish ready on the counter.
-Wearing gloves, take the mason jar/ISO, weed/tupperware and filter paper/funnel out of the freezer.
-Put the filter paper/funnel on top of the second mason jar.
-Open the tupperware/weed and dump the entire contents into the freezer temperature ISO/mason jar and cap it.
-Shake vigorously for 20 seconds only.
-Start filtering after the 20 second shaking.
-Pour as quickly as possible, taking care not to overfill the filter paper. probably a good idea to test the filter paper out unless you’re lab comfortable.

The filtering process should go quickly. At this point, transfer the contents of the mason jar to the glass baking dish. Take outside/no smoking. I place the. Baking dish on a table and have a strong fan blowing over the dish from a few feet away. Once the ISO is all evaporated (99% should go quickly) you should be left with a clearish residue, scrape with a razor blade, etc.

By keeping everything as cold as possible you’re reducing the solubility of chlorophylls and plant pigments. You might have to warm the bottom of the glass baking dish to make scraping and collecting easier. Glass baking dish will fit inside of a bigger glass baking dish with warm-hot water if needed.

Some people call it QWISO (quick wash ISO). you can cheat by not using freezer temperature materials but your resulting product will be darker and proably harsher taste.

Tom

So I’ll be honest guys, I’ve tried a quick wash with ethanol (96%) before and was disappointed with the results. It felt like a lot got left behind. Maybe isopropyl being less polar changes things up?

Either way I suggest people don’t use ethanol or methanol for the process.

-GC

Ethanol can work just not in a quick wash scenario. I used to extract hemp with methanol or ethanol, isomerize the CBD to Delta 9 (and probably some D8 too) and then flood the alcohol/extract solution with an equal amount of h2o. Often times there will be separation but not always, as the oils become less soluble in the alcohol/water solution.

Then I’d extract the resulting oils with toluene, evaporate that and get some pretty potent oil.

If one just manually separates without solvent, make sure to wash the extract with some fresh water.

-GC

Ethanol can work just not in a quick wash scenario. I used to extract hemp with methanol or ethanol, isomerize the CBD to Delta 9 (and probably some D8 too) and then flood the alcohol/extract solution with an equal amount of h2o. Often times there will be separation but not always, as the oils become less soluble in the alcohol/water solution.

Then I’d extract the resulting oils with toluene, evaporate that and get some pretty potent oil.

If one just manually separates without solvent, make sure to wash the extract with some fresh water.

-GC
would you say that if you had the choice between using Iso 99.9 or Non- denatured Ethanol which would you choose ? isnt ethanol less toxic

would you say that if you had the choice between using Iso 99.9 or Non- denatured Ethanol which would you choose ? isnt ethanol less toxic

Well I’d choose the isopropyl almost purely due to cost, but I do also feel it grabs the cannabinoids a bit better too. Isopropyl isn’t toxic enough to be of any worry assuming nearly all of it will be evaporated prior to consumption. People occasionally try to get drunk off the stuff. Also ethanol can’t reach 99% since it forms an azeotrope with water so that ~4% water probably further reduces solubility.

The only benefits to using ethanol is if you want to keep it as a tincture.

-GC

You could probably throw some 3A molecular sieves in with the EtOH and be gucci on the water content just keep it sealed

Do you think EtOH or food oils work better for tinctures? I've used mainly food oils in the past for cannabiboids

-GC
I used to have one of these.

IMG_0364_master.jpg

I would isomerize and then put the oil back onto some pot, make a 2x (or 4x or 5x) enhanced leaf thing.
Then I could water wash the enhanced leaf. The oil was all through the pot instead of in resin glands by then.
Then, I could re-extract or use as is.
I sometimes drank the water I had washed the pot with and never got more than a mild buzz. So I wasn't losing much but the water did come out dark, so I was getting rid of some undesirables.

That's all I smoked for 3-4 years. Got away from it when 'lumbo dried up and sinse became the norm.
One thing about it, I noticed that the high always seemed to be the same and that many of the "lighter and airier" effects got lost.
Sinse wasn't as strong, but it was nicer in a way.