• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Klonopin substituted for Xanax

The Holy Quadruplty

Bluelighter
I've been taking Xanax every day for 15 years, and haven't gone a day without atleast a milligram since! I only have ten .5mgs of Klonopin and plan to take 2mg to substitute for the Xanax. Do you think I'll have any withdrawals at all, or will the Klonopin completely make me feel fine? Please someone let me know quick please, and thank you very much! 🙂💜

Also I did a 100mg Gabapentin this morning, and I never do them. I'm also in Chlorpheniramine, Subutex, Nicotine, and good weed. I'm out of my Promethazine's for another day or 2, but the Chlorpheniramine is pretty much the same thing as promethazine anyway.

Last edited:
Xanax and klonopin are on pair potency wise, I think, so if you are used to 1mg of xanax, then 1 mg ( more or less) of klonopin should cover you, and it has a much longer half life so you should be fine.
Keep in mind that klonopin is not as in your face type of benzo, you shouldn't expect exactly the same feeling. Similar, yes, but not 100% the same.
If you only have 10 × 0,5 mgs pills you can mantain yourself for a few days, no much more, tho.
I really hope you can refill your script or do whatever you do to get the xanax, 15 years on alprazolam is no joke. Like no joke at all.
But yeah, klonopin will keep you out of wd at a similar dose, or at least I think so

There's no definitive answer to your question as it varies from person to person. But Benzo's were never intended to be taken for 15 years. Clonazepam has a longer half life, but may take a bit of time to build up in your system. Senor Moreno is correct in terms of dosage equivalency, but your body may metabolise the Clonazepam a little differently. When switching from a short half life benzo to a long half life benzo, it's generally better to do a gradual transition as opposed to a sudden one. This will allow the longer half life benzo time to build up in your system before the Xanax withdrawal kicks in. Because Alprazolam has such a short half life, withdrawal can hit within just several hours of the previous dose while the Clonazepam still requires more time to accumulate.

Xanax and klonopin are on pair potency wise, I think, so if you are used to 1mg of xanax, then 1 mg ( more or less) of klonopin should cover you, and it has a much longer half life so you should be fine.
Keep in mind that klonopin is not as in your face type of benzo, you shouldn't expect exactly the same feeling. Similar, yes, but not 100% the same.
If you only have 10 × 0,5 mgs pills you can mantain yourself for a few days, no much more, tho.
I really hope you can refill your script or do whatever you do to get the xanax, 15 years on alprazolam is no joke. Like no joke at all.
But yeah, klonopin will keep you out of wd at a similar dose, or at least I think so
Yea I've taken Klonopin a bunch of times, but I've always had Xanax in my system though as well ofcourse. This is the first day in 15 years I haven't taken any Xanax like I haven't missed not one day until today. I took 2mgs if Klonopin, and I usually take 1mg of Xanax a day in two half's at different times.

Frazzled is 100% right about the building up thing. But it will work to avoid the worst of wds if we are talking of a few days until you fix this situation.
Yes a few days until I fix the situation I'm in. I'm not feeling like I'm withdrawling though, but I did take 100mg of gabapentin as well, and I never take those besides once in a blue moon. Like I said I do feel good, but I can tell the Xanax isn't in me today, but I took my last 1mg of Xanax until the next few days yesterday.

Yes, sure you can tell you have no xanax.
The longer you go without xanax the bigger the metabolization issues Frazzled pointed will be, I hope you can get it as son as posible.
Another thing Frazzled said is very true: 15 years on alprazolam don't ( doesn't?) seem very terapeutic, in my layman opinion

Yes a few days until I fix the situation I'm in. I'm not feeling like I'm withdrawling though, but I did take 100mg of gabapentin as well, and I never take those besides once in a blue moon. Like I said I do feel good, but I can tell the Xanax isn't in me today, but I took my last 1mg of Xanax until the next few days yesterday.

I think 100 mgs of gabapentin is very few, don,'t really know if it would even touch the edges of a 15 years sudden xanax discontinuation(sp?)
Sorry about my English, man

Yes, sure you can tell you have no xanax.
The longer you go without xanax the bigger the metabolization issues Frazzled pointed will be, I hope you can get it as son as posible.
Another thing Frazzled said is very true: 15 years on alprazolam don't ( doesn't?) seem very terapeutic, in my layman opinion
Yea, but I take the Xanax with Chlorpheniramine, promethazine, Subutex, Nicotine, and potent Marijuana everyday as well, and it potentiates the Xan like crazy!

You said you never went a day without 1mg/ day mimimum, but how much do you take daily?
Usually 1mg still, but would go up to 6mg atleast once a week. Sometimes more, but not more than 4 bars anymore. Back in the day I would take 12 bars in a day, and one time I legit ate 20 white Xanax bars all at the same time a long time ago as well, and my mom had to help me pee even though I have no idea if I did, and/or how she got me in the bathroom I just magically appeared there. Thanks mom for being a good mom, keeping me alive by trying to keep me awake threw that or I'd probably be dead. I probably told her I had to piss or something. Love you Mom!

Last edited:
Yea, but I take the Xanax with Chlorpheniramine, promethazine, Subutex, Nicotine, and potent Marijuana everyday as well, and it potentiates the Xan like crazy!
You'd be as well taking an axe and hacking away at your GABA-A receptors. That potentiation isn't going to last forever. You're going to have to start working backwards to get yourself safely off the Benzo's, otherwise you're going to be chasing them your whole life and losing your mind whenever you don't know where the next benzo fix is going to come from.

You'd be as well taking an axe and hacking away at your GABA-A receptors. That potentiation isn't going to last forever. You're going to have to start working backwards to get yourself safely off the Benzo's, otherwise you're going to be chasing them your whole life and losing your mind whenever you don't know where the next benzo fix is going to come from.
I've been getting them from a loved one the hole 15 years that's prescribed to them. I only ran out of a few, because I took extra.

I've been getting them from a loved one the hole 15 years that's prescribed to them. I only ran out of a few, because I took extra.
Yes, but you need to ask yourself why you felt the need to take extra. If you've hit tolerance, then taking more isn't a viable option, otherwise you're going to keep coming up short before each new prescription. Because you've been taking them for so long, a cold turkey situation is something you'll have to avoid.

Also would 3mg of Klonopin threw out the day with a half a milligram of Xanax in you get someone (me) a nice recreational high if they took 1mg a day of Xanax for fifteen years, and this be the first day not having a full mg of Xanax just a half of a mg?

Actually yesterday, and today I only did 2mg Klonopin with only half a milligram of Xanax (after taking no less than 1mg of Xanax everyday for 15 years without any breaks) then realized I was fucked up! Like I did 3mg of Xanax if not more, and actually got a strong benzo high. I was nervous only being able to do half a mg of Xanax even though I knew I had kpins, but yea I'm fucked up kinda.