• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom ban possible…

"Kratom has been a huge boon in my life.

I am a recovered heroin addict and alcoholic and I can singlehandedly point to kratom as being the largest factor in how I was not only able to get sober but also to stay sober.

In the midst of a fentanyl crisis in my country it would be illogical and devastating to ban a plant which has been demonstrated to help addicts cease opioids.

The plant is relatively harmless when compared to all other opioid drugs.

I pray that the WHO can see how vital a role kratom plays in harm reduction from the impact of drugs on society.

Sincerely,"

That's what I wrote :)

Not necessarily, I'm sure the recreational Cannabis states will be quick to pass bills to legalize it. And just like Cannabis, it will be mailed across state lines to the redneck areas.
How does the law work? Can states bypass international law?

I don't even know what the WHO can even do 🤔

Or is it if WHO makes it banned that gives the FDA authority to make it illegal?

Thank you everyone who voiced their opinions for the Kratom cause. They think theres a drug problem now?? Watch what happens if kratom is banned.
If it’s banned then the private prison industry will make more money too :/, there just to many ways to Benefit from the ban…but how fucked up is it even that the states have private prisons, like couldn’t that create conflict of interest

Can kratom not be grown in North-American greenhouses?? Or even Mexico or other Latin-American countries??

Can kratom not be grown in North-American greenhouses?? Or even Mexico or other Latin-American countries??
Well it's a tree so yes you could grow it in Florida or California, or wherever warm climate tree orchards are. I think anyway. Not sure how long it takes it to grow from sapling to maturity. There are probably trees growing as we speak. They are pretty benign looking and I could walk into one and wouldn't know what it was. There could be a massive kratom farm out in California for all we know. Mmmm. Sure hope there is.

Well it's a tree so yes you could grow it in Florida or California, or wherever warm climate tree orchards are. I think anyway. Not sure how long it takes it to grow from sapling to maturity. There are probably trees growing as we speak. They are pretty benign looking and I could walk into one and wouldn't know what it was. There could be a massive kratom farm out in California for all we know. Mmmm. Sure hope there is.
I'll start trying to sprout some seeds in late winter. I dont know how well it'll grow at altitude, but I'm going to find out. I'll start a thread once I get them sprouting...

Kratom has been a target of federal agencies here in the USA for a while. I know that the DEA moved to emergency schedule it a while back and did a public comment period too, right? The FDA doesn't like it either. The idea of kratom being banned has been in the wind for a while now, like several years at least. I don't think it's necessarily inevitable that it will get banned, as it still isn't really that popular and, lets face it, a pretty benign thing...but, on the other hand, the level of hysteria surrounding anything related to an opioid is pretty intense, so who knows

I know that when I first heard that the DEA was looking at it, I thought that's it, they were just gonna ban it by making it Schedule 1 via emergency scheduling, and there it'd stay forever. But it's still around, and it seems to be easier for the consumer nowadays to access high-quality stuff than it was when kratom was first being noticed, so maybe there is hope

If kratom has helped you then I'd urge you to at least take the time to comment something to that effect...it can only help imo. Kratom is a wonderful plant that's helped many people, and if it were to be banned that'd just be another bit of sad, misinformed injustice in a drug war characterized by that sorta thing"''

when it comes to this post of the post: level of hysteria surrounding anything related to an opioid is pretty intense, so who knows...

we'll they're have been huge wars fought over opiates and immense amounts of lives ruined from our alone. Right now stamp bags have carfentanyl in them. I got caught with 4 bags of "orange crush" labeled glassine stamp bags. I got caught with four because I bought five and the dealer actually said hey man, don't you need taking more than a half of one of deez joints bro I've scene people ten times your size fall out on less than that.
we'll when I was a hard headed for head I didn't give a duck ! that actually sounded enticing. I was going to do two but when I dumped one into the spoon with water I saw a cop drive by and I knew they saw me so I put up the window and jammed it in the biggest vein I could find. I started pushing down the plunger just like a couple millimeters and next thing I remembered was waking up on the hospital feeling like hell. There was a nurse in my room and I was trying to form the words where is my sht? nurse said " don't worry you'll get your things back (a wave of hell yes went over my body), I'm sure Officer B---y will keep them safe until he has a chance to talk to you, right?

awww shhhhhhhttttttt! I automatically felt sick I'm this is the kind of sick that all of the red vein in the world wouldn't touch.
To make a long story shorter, I was more foreshock than usual that's for sure.. The point is the carfentanyl in bags thing is no urban legend. I got my bags test results in court, it said 1/4 heroin #4 1/8 carfentanyl 1/2 phenobarbital +/-1/8 various inert substances.

Basically the paranoia that surrounds anything that touches the mu opioid receptor will always cause paranoia in the hearts of politicians, dealers, war hawks, etc.. Unless they intend to raid an area like Afghanistan to pillage the opium Farmers so that our own government can synth it into heroin that will be cut to hell with car fentanyl. this is worth more than gold by weight exponentially! You better believe that all of your friends and family that died of overdose died at the hands of our sickened government of fallen angels so they could make money off the souls of the young and naive..
You better believe Paco isn't smuggling enough heroin across the Rio Grande to satisfy the appetites of all of the assists in America! This is something only a nation state can do, much like a nuclear weapon. Opiates are a weapon of mass destruction. You better believe they'll can kratom if the number of heroin addicts in America serious enough because of it! they want you to spend every last penny you can find plus the sheckles of every family member within your entire gene pool. Once all of that is dry, they want the addict to the up dead, or a slave to methadone or Suboxone where they will milk your insurance until your heart stops from qt interval prolongation or tors de pointes. if they find some crusty tree like kratom freeing slaves from their dope, methadone, or Suboxone, you better believe they will burn receive tree in Indonesia until red vein or mang da is extinct except for as memories on forums this I've or people saying things like "remember when you could buy a pound of kratom from Walmart for a handful of nickels".
The thing is kratom isn't that great anyways. I had a girlfriend who was the sweetest prettiest girl and we were together for 12 years. This last year got so bad. she spent all of her time filling capsules with leaf dust and then she wouldn't let us eat for 2 hrs before or after interesting the kratom She started to become extremely mean to me . It got to the point where she started getting violent with me for no reason! I know it had to be the kratom because I've always been good to her. Also she wasn't doing any other drugs except for gabapentin which we could both eat bucket loads of. her gabapentin me pregabalin.
I have an arthritic/degenerative joint disorder asking with cervical spine kyphosis.) It's really painful but it sounds a lot worse with that title! anyhow my point was I was sitting in the floor reading an article and she just came running into the room and kicked me in the spine. my brain felt like when you turn off one of those old tvs with the knob and it got all snowy . I woke up with cops loading a syringe with naloxone.
I was like wish woah woah I'm not high she kicked me in the spine!
The cops pulled me aside and were like I would re think that.. all she has to do is say you hit her and the judge always believes the female, you could end up doing hard time while you're girl relaxes on your couch.
Ok sorry for the tangent but it came down to our twelve year relationship coming to an end and I had to kick her out. I miss her so bad. Not the girl that was kicked out, but the girl prior to turning into a kratom goblin!
Had anyone else had a similar experience with a significant other, or family member or something? The only thing I could think of is too much norepinephrine in the synapses and my second guess is wherever brand of kratom she was using must have been soaking up heavy metals or something. The kratom tree must have been growing straight out of a lake of mercury, lead, and cadmium! I'm not very familiar with the pharmacology of kratom, I know the basics but not the stuff you don't read on a pamphlet for children. I wish I could just find a straight answer on whether it's a mu partial agonist or not. I have a feeling it is but I can't take chances because I'm on 115mg a day of methadone! Anyone that has ever want through withdrawal from methadone knows why you don't want to take chances with mu partial agonists or mu antagonists with methadone in their bodies.
Withdrawing from methadone is comparable to withdrawing from methadone. The only thing harder than withdrawing from methadone is withdrawing from more methadone. I mean I guess benzos are actually way worse but believe me guys, if you are putting 115mgs of methadone down your gullet day after day for years, you are going through chemical torture if you are forced to withdrawal without a long and slow taper with doctors and nurses monitoring your fluids and vitals. I have to go to the clinic guys. sorry for the long winded post but I just wanted to remind everyone of how messing with your mu opiod receptors is going to cause you and your family hell on earth. Don't even toy with kratom, it's not worth it please believe me. live is very hard without virgin opiod receptors!

Can states bypass international law?

Yes. Case in point: cannabis.

You better believe they'll can kratom if the number of heroin addicts in America serious enough because of it! they want you to spend every last penny you can find plus the sheckles of every family member within your entire gene pool. Once all of that is dry, they want the addict to the up dead, or a slave to methadone or Suboxone where they will milk your insurance until your heart stops from qt interval prolongation or tors de pointes. if they find some crusty tree like kratom freeing slaves from their dope, methadone, or Suboxone, you better believe they will burn receive tree in Indonesia until red vein or mang da is extinct except for as memories on forums this I've or people saying things like "remember when you could buy a pound of kratom from Walmart for a handful of nickels".

Oh, is that what THEY want, huh?

Personally I usually try to err on the side of giving people the freedom/liberty/whatever-you-want-to-call-it to lead their own lives as they see fit, to the greatest extent possible. If you give someone freedom, there's always a chance that they will choose to use that freedom in an irresponsible or reckless manner, and there's no way to eliminate that risk other than to take away that freedom...a cure worse than the disease imo. So, could someone use kratom and just go completely overboard with it, maybe even become addicted or behave in a negative or irresponsible way (i.e. become a "kratom goblin")? Yes. Is that a reason to remove it from the public? No.

But, that's just like, my opinion maaan. I also can't really relate to what others have said about seeing kratom advertised everywhere...in the last city I lived in (a city of several hundred thousand residents) you could find it in maybe one or two headshops, that was it as far as retail locations selling it.

But, that's just like, my opinion maaan. I also can't really relate to what others have said about seeing kratom advertised everywhere...in the last city I lived in (a city of several hundred thousand residents) you could find it in maybe one or two headshops, that was it as far as retail locations selling it.

In my city most of the gas stations around me have it displayed at the register, and every head shop sells it. There is a kava bar and sells kratom brewed and in bags of powder. Some of the gas stations have neon signs saying "we have kratom!". Also vape shops have it. Delta-8 THC is also almost as prominently featured. It's in my face everywhere I go.

In my city most of the gas stations around me have it displayed at the register, and every head shop sells it. There is a kava bar and sells kratom brewed and in bags of powder. Some of the gas stations have neon signs saying "we have kratom!". Also vape shops have it. Delta-8 THC is also almost as prominently featured. It's in my face everywhere I go.
This one vape shop I go to is essentially a legal weed store. They have like 75 different strains of d8 carts, edibles, etc a whole wall. They also have signs like comparing the products to d9 and a menu of all their d8 and THC-O products. They aren't shy about it. I'm surprised the DEA hasn't nuked them.

I put a link to where the American Kratom association was collecting comments to oppose the ban in a different thread. The deadline for submitting them was 9th of August although the AKA sued the FDA for a deadline extension I haven’t been emailed about whether it worked. So my guess is it didn’t

Kratom is addictive but in my opinion it's one of the least harmful addictive drugs out there, I would rate it less harmful than marijuana and actually less addictive too at least psychologically (it is more physically addictive than marijuana). Seems strange to me that we are legalizing marijuana now but banning kratom.

Kratom is addictive but in my opinion it's one of the least harmful addictive drugs out there, I would rate it less harmful than marijuana and actually less addictive too at least psychologically (it is more physically addictive than marijuana). Seems strange to me that we are legalizing marijuana now but banning kratom.

Your mileage may vary. I find kratom WAY more addictive than marijuana (mentally as well as physically). I have weed and rarely use it, I haven't bought it in like 6 months and still have some. Every time I dose kratom once, I fall back into multiple times a day dosing and full blown addiction. Not everyone is going to be like me, plenty of people use kratom responsibly, but to anyone else reading this, I wouldn't take this opinion as a sign that kratom is safer than weed.

I still don't think kratom should be banned though, because it's much safer than other opiates and it has saved many peoples' lives and continues to do so. If kratom is banned a lot of people will turn back to other opiates. It would be insane to ban kratom given the opioid problem we have.

Your mileage may vary. I find kratom WAY more addictive than marijuana (mentally as well as physically). I have weed and rarely use it, I haven't bought it in like 6 months and still have some. Every time I dose kratom once, I fall back into multiple times a day dosing and full blown addiction. Not everyone is going to be like me, plenty of people use kratom responsibly, but to anyone else reading this, I wouldn't take this opinion as a sign that kratom is safer than weed.

I still don't think kratom should be banned though, because it's much safer than other opiates and it has saved many peoples' lives and continues to do so. If kratom is banned a lot of people will turn back to other opiates. It would be insane to ban kratom given the opioid problem we have.
Well said.

i found kratom to be an opioid that has not the inherent pleasentness of many other opioids, in other words its not so good that you keep dosing it all the time without thinking twice but its still an okayish opioid nonetheless. i dont appreciate it beeing banned but that is so with any other drug i know.

Well, a lot of people (myself included) are like that with weed. If we have weed we tend to smoke it.

I'm not really disagreeing with you in the sense that kratom is an opioid and is quite addictive and more physically addictive than marijuana for sure. However, if you look at society today I would argue there are far more daily cannabis users than daily kratom users. I would argue that cannabis is having a negative effect on the lives and emotional development of far more teens and young adults today than kratom is.

Of course partly this is due to cannabis being more popular but given that kratom is legal and has been around long enough now that most young people with any interest in drugs know about it and there is no huge stigma about it keeping people away from it, why is cannabis so much popular?

My overall point is that I see cannabis as a greater threat to the health of young people today than kratom. It's amazing how many young people I see today smoking weed every day and even taking dabs like it's just a normal thing to smoke weed/ dab every day. Personally I don't think it's normal or healthy and I think there is a greater risk for heavy marijuana use effecting emotional and psychological development.

That's not to downplay the risks of kratom, but like I said I don't think young people are abusing kratom to anywhere near the level they are abusing cannabis right now, hence the irony of the increasing legalization and promotion of cannabis while simultaneously banning kratom. If I get in my car I can't drive more than 5 miles without passing a billboard advertising legal cannabis. When I walk in the woods I find empty cannabis containers. If I ride my bike downtown I smell marijuana smoke. It didn't used to be like that, even 10 years ago it wasn't the norm to smell marijuana smoke in public on a regular bases.

Well, a lot of people (myself included) are like that with weed. If we have weed we tend to smoke it.

I'm not really disagreeing with you in the sense that kratom is an opioid and is quite addictive and more physically addictive than marijuana for sure. However, if you look at society today I would argue there are far more daily cannabis users than daily kratom users. I would argue that cannabis is having a negative effect on the lives and emotional development of far more teens and young adults today than kratom is.

Of course partly this is due to cannabis being more popular but given that kratom is legal and has been around long enough now that most young people with any interest in drugs know about it and there is no huge stigma about it keeping people away from it, why is cannabis so much popular?

My overall point is that I see cannabis as a greater threat to the health of young people today than kratom. It's amazing how many young people I see today smoking weed every day and even taking dabs like it's just a normal thing to smoke weed/ dab every day. Personally I don't think it's normal or healthy and I think there is a greater risk for heavy marijuana use effecting emotional and psychological development.

That's not to downplay the risks of kratom, but like I said I don't think young people are abusing kratom to anywhere near the level they are abusing cannabis right now, hence the irony of the increasing legalization and promotion of cannabis while simultaneously banning kratom. If I get in my car I can't drive more than 5 miles without passing a billboard advertising legal cannabis. When I walk in the woods I find empty cannabis containers. If I ride my bike downtown I smell marijuana smoke. It didn't used to be like that, even 10 years ago it wasn't the norm to smell marijuana smoke in public on a regular bases.
Yup.