• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Kratom & Respiratory Depression

Elicious

Greenlighter
Hi all, I've taken a few low doses of Kratom the past couple days, I'm new to it, and today, after having an ~2.5g dose with some food, my breathing has slowed and I'm wondering If this is normal for other people. I have a history of asthma, and as an infant my lungs collapsed and I almost died of pneumonia. I have a very short history of smoking pot, but quit about a year ago and only use edibles since. I know I have weaker lungs, but it's nothing that bothers me on a daily or weekly basis.

2.5g is a very low dose, It's been hours and I barely feel any effects besides a little euphoria and increased focus, decreased appetite. I'd like to take more later tonight, but I kind of worry that it'll cause my breathing to be even slower. I'm not feeling anxious or too worried about it or anything, I can breathe fine right now and, in case I even need it, I always have a small handheld athlete's oxygen tank with mouth piece thing plus my inhaler at home with me. I kinda wonder if using Kratom isn't a good thing for me, which would really suck cuz I just spent some money for quite a bit of it and I've hardly touched it.

I also wonder if different strains would be different or if the quality of the company I bought from is poor. I did research and know the company I purchased from is reputable, lots of great reddit reviews vouching for their excellent quality and customer service. Yesterday I had probably 3g total, in smaller doses, of Green Malay, didn't actively notice that my breathing was affected. Today, just the 2.5 of some White Thai. I also have some Red I'm wanting/planning on trying possibly tonight. I kind of doubt different strains or colors make a huge difference as far as the side-effects/respiratory depression go, but I'm curious if y'all have any input or advice for me.

cdin

Bluelighter
respiratory depression is really not an effect of kratom, especially at that low of a dose. I would be way more likely to read this as a histamine response to the kratom itself. opioids in general produce histamine reactions. maybe try it again an hour or so after some claritin or something and see if that has an effect? Other than that, could be contamination of some kind, though i lean heavily toward my other explanation.

Negentropic

Bluelight Crew
7-OH-mitragynine does technically have a mild respiratory depression effect, but it is very limited and has a ceiling effect, it's not really a thing or normal concern. It may potentiate other respiratory depressants but this is debated.

But no it should not slow your breathing by a detectable amount especially at such a low dose

Something else is probably going on here.

All kratom strains have basically the same amount of mitragynine and 7-OH so there shouldn't be a difference between them in this regard.

There is definitely low quality kratom out there, but this typically results in lack of effect, possible headache, nausea and not much else.

Last edited:

Elicious

Greenlighter
respiratory depression is really not an effect of kratom, especially at that low of a dose. I would be way more likely to read this as a histamine response to the kratom itself. opioids in general produce histamine reactions.
Perhaps you're right. I actually have allergies to many things (dairy, eggs, nuts, gluten, seasonal shit), maybe this kratom is causing a histamine reaction in me. With all the components in Kratom, and with my laundry list of allergies, I may just be allergic to a couple small chemicals or something. IDK I'm def not having a full blown reaction, maybe slightly itchy but that could be from other things too. Hoping that maybe my body just needs to adjust or get used to it in my system, and over time I won't experience this. I don't know.
I'll probably take a Zyrtec and see how I feel.

falsifiedhypothesi

Moderator: BDD, OD, Music
Staff member
Like others have said, CNS depression isn't a huge issue with kratom. That's not to say it can't cause depressed breathing, but on its own it doesn't seem to be dangerous in that regard. The amount of leaf you'd have to take to get to that point would have you vomiting uncontrollably.

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
Interesting, I gave my girlfriend 3g of kratom earlier today and she noted a similar phenomenon, whereby she said she had to be more conscious about breathing. I actually witnessed it and asked her what was going on. Apparently it has happened when i have given it to her before.

My guess is that it is more related to the sympatholytic properties of kratom associated with its alpha 2 adrenergic agonism than its opioidergic effects. What is also interesting is that both you and my girlfriend consumed low doses, which don't contain enough mitragynine to strongly activate the opioid receptors. A higher dose of kratom might even reduce this sense of labored breathing since opioids are actually used to treat dyspnea (labored/difficulty breathing).

Kratom doesn't cause much respiratory depression though. It might cause some dyspnea perhaps, probably moreso at low doses, but dyspnea can occur in the absence of respiratory depression (for example someone might experience dyspnea during an panic attack but will invariably have normal blood oxygen levels).

Elicious

Greenlighter
nteresting, I gave my girlfriend 3g of kratom earlier today and she noted a similar phenomenon
That is interesting, I wonder what it is about both me and your girlfriend that caused this for us. Does she have a history of asthma or anything? Maybe its the type/company/batch of kratom specifically?

Also, I did not know opioids are used to treat dyspnea, that's interesting.

I'm drinking another dose atm, curious if I'll have the same issue... Maybe like you said, a higher amount in my system might reduce that feeling/trouble?? Not sure. 🤷‍♀️

cdin

Bluelighter
like, science has been done on this. specifically surrounding g-protein stuff. kratom lacks the g-protein affinity other opioids have that causes respiratory depression. could be also - you guys are tense af and just relaxed for the first time in a while.