• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Kratom & Respiratory Depression

Elicious

Greenlighter
Hi all, I've taken a few low doses of Kratom the past couple days, I'm new to it, and today, after having an ~2.5g dose with some food, my breathing has slowed and I'm wondering If this is normal for other people. I have a history of asthma, and as an infant my lungs collapsed and I almost died of pneumonia. I have a very short history of smoking pot, but quit about a year ago and only use edibles since. I know I have weaker lungs, but it's nothing that bothers me on a daily or weekly basis.

2.5g is a very low dose, It's been hours and I barely feel any effects besides a little euphoria and increased focus, decreased appetite. I'd like to take more later tonight, but I kind of worry that it'll cause my breathing to be even slower. I'm not feeling anxious or too worried about it or anything, I can breathe fine right now and, in case I even need it, I always have a small handheld athlete's oxygen tank with mouth piece thing plus my inhaler at home with me. I kinda wonder if using Kratom isn't a good thing for me, which would really suck cuz I just spent some money for quite a bit of it and I've hardly touched it.

I also wonder if different strains would be different or if the quality of the company I bought from is poor. I did research and know the company I purchased from is reputable, lots of great reddit reviews vouching for their excellent quality and customer service. Yesterday I had probably 3g total, in smaller doses, of Green Malay, didn't actively notice that my breathing was affected. Today, just the 2.5 of some White Thai. I also have some Red I'm wanting/planning on trying possibly tonight. I kind of doubt different strains or colors make a huge difference as far as the side-effects/respiratory depression go, but I'm curious if y'all have any input or advice for me.

respiratory depression is really not an effect of kratom, especially at that low of a dose. I would be way more likely to read this as a histamine response to the kratom itself. opioids in general produce histamine reactions. maybe try it again an hour or so after some claritin or something and see if that has an effect? Other than that, could be contamination of some kind, though i lean heavily toward my other explanation.

7-OH-mitragynine does technically have a mild respiratory depression effect, but it is very limited and has a ceiling effect, it's not really a thing or normal concern. It may potentiate other respiratory depressants but this is debated.

But no it should not slow your breathing by a detectable amount especially at such a low dose

Something else is probably going on here.

All kratom strains have basically the same amount of mitragynine and 7-OH so there shouldn't be a difference between them in this regard.

There is definitely low quality kratom out there, but this typically results in lack of effect, possible headache, nausea and not much else.

Last edited:
respiratory depression is really not an effect of kratom, especially at that low of a dose. I would be way more likely to read this as a histamine response to the kratom itself. opioids in general produce histamine reactions.
Perhaps you're right. I actually have allergies to many things (dairy, eggs, nuts, gluten, seasonal shit), maybe this kratom is causing a histamine reaction in me. With all the components in Kratom, and with my laundry list of allergies, I may just be allergic to a couple small chemicals or something. IDK I'm def not having a full blown reaction, maybe slightly itchy but that could be from other things too. Hoping that maybe my body just needs to adjust or get used to it in my system, and over time I won't experience this. I don't know.
I'll probably take a Zyrtec and see how I feel.

Like others have said, CNS depression isn't a huge issue with kratom. That's not to say it can't cause depressed breathing, but on its own it doesn't seem to be dangerous in that regard. The amount of leaf you'd have to take to get to that point would have you vomiting uncontrollably.

Interesting, I gave my girlfriend 3g of kratom earlier today and she noted a similar phenomenon, whereby she said she had to be more conscious about breathing. I actually witnessed it and asked her what was going on. Apparently it has happened when i have given it to her before.

My guess is that it is more related to the sympatholytic properties of kratom associated with its alpha 2 adrenergic agonism than its opioidergic effects. What is also interesting is that both you and my girlfriend consumed low doses, which don't contain enough mitragynine to strongly activate the opioid receptors. A higher dose of kratom might even reduce this sense of labored breathing since opioids are actually used to treat dyspnea (labored/difficulty breathing).

Kratom doesn't cause much respiratory depression though. It might cause some dyspnea perhaps, probably moreso at low doses, but dyspnea can occur in the absence of respiratory depression (for example someone might experience dyspnea during an panic attack but will invariably have normal blood oxygen levels).

nteresting, I gave my girlfriend 3g of kratom earlier today and she noted a similar phenomenon
That is interesting, I wonder what it is about both me and your girlfriend that caused this for us. Does she have a history of asthma or anything? Maybe its the type/company/batch of kratom specifically?

Also, I did not know opioids are used to treat dyspnea, that's interesting.

I'm drinking another dose atm, curious if I'll have the same issue... Maybe like you said, a higher amount in my system might reduce that feeling/trouble?? Not sure. 🤷‍♀️

like, science has been done on this. specifically surrounding g-protein stuff. kratom lacks the g-protein affinity other opioids have that causes respiratory depression. could be also - you guys are tense af and just relaxed for the first time in a while.

Hi all, I've taken a few low doses of Kratom the past couple days, I'm new to it, and today, after having an ~2.5g dose with some food, my breathing has slowed and I'm wondering If this is normal for other people. I have a history of asthma, and as an infant my lungs collapsed and I almost died of pneumonia. I have a very short history of smoking pot, but quit about a year ago and only use edibles since. I know I have weaker lungs, but it's nothing that bothers me on a daily or weekly basis.

2.5g is a very low dose, It's been hours and I barely feel any effects besides a little euphoria and increased focus, decreased appetite. I'd like to take more later tonight, but I kind of worry that it'll cause my breathing to be even slower. I'm not feeling anxious or too worried about it or anything, I can breathe fine right now and, in case I even need it, I always have a small handheld athlete's oxygen tank with mouth piece thing plus my inhaler at home with me. I kinda wonder if using Kratom isn't a good thing for me, which would really suck cuz I just spent some money for quite a bit of it and I've hardly touched it.

I also wonder if different strains would be different or if the quality of the company I bought from is poor. I did research and know the company I purchased from is reputable, lots of great reddit reviews vouching for their excellent quality and customer service. Yesterday I had probably 3g total, in smaller doses, of Green Malay, didn't actively notice that my breathing was affected. Today, just the 2.5 of some White Thai. I also have some Red I'm wanting/planning on trying possibly tonight. I kind of doubt different strains or colors make a huge difference as far as the side-effects/respiratory depression go, but I'm curious if y'all have any input or advice for me.
I haven't been having very good experiences with Kratom, I'll feel slightly euphoric as it kicks in, but on as low as ~3 gram doses, I'll quickly get nauseous, a headache, chills, hot flashes, and need to throw up. My breathing however, hasn't been affected anymore by it. That was weird how it did.

Honestly, after yesterday I told myself to just throw my whole stash away. I was out with friends feeling like the aforementioned, on a bumpy car ride in my friend's stick shift sports car, trying to hold my puke back and trying to get some Tylenols down.

I wonder if my Kratom is just bad quality or batch because 3 grams isn't that much, I feel a lot worse than I feel good from it. Maybe my system is just not used to it still? Has anyone here had similar experience with it? Or at least in the beginning?

Either way, I guess I'm kind of regretting getting it, but I had to try and see if it could help me out, im craving something new now since this seems to be like a flat fail. I'm still holding onto it, I have like 750 grams. I probably shouldn't cuz I know ill regret it if I get it out again later on, and if I have it, I'll always end up using it. 🤷‍♀️

I haven't been having very good experiences with Kratom, I'll feel slightly euphoric as it kicks in, but on as low as ~3 gram doses, I'll quickly get nauseous, a headache, chills, hot flashes, and need to throw up. My breathing however, hasn't been affected anymore by it. That was weird how it did.

I wonder if my Kratom is just bad quality or batch because 3 grams isn't that much, I feel a lot worse than I feel good from it. Maybe my system is just not used to it still? Has anyone here had similar experience with it? Or at least in the beginning?

I don't know if it's batch related, the build up of non desirable kratom alkaloids in one's system, or a result of certain diet's interaction with mitragynine, but I have been using kratom heavily for 4-5 years and I still get nausea, headaches, chills, etc from seemingly low doses for my tolerance.

Though usually those symptoms are only present when I overuse kratom or haven't gotten much sleep, it's still something that happens randomly from time to time.

Kratom is best used occasionally, otherwise the positive effects quickly vanish as tolerance creeps in. Don't forget that kratom still is an opioid and can cause addiction and withdrawal that can be fairly severe.

Kratom is Weird cause it's like a mixed bag of stimulant and depressant/narcotic effects as well as histamine provoking and serotonin modulating effects

Basically it can have any number of weird bodily sensations accompany the buzz, especially if you haven't found your preferred dose

I actually had to quit kratom partially cause it was making me break out in hives/heat rashes. At first it wasn't an issue, then it happened occasionally, then it was any time I showered, worked out or did landscaping work.

Was on kratom daily for about 3 years, would bulk order kilos of a preferred Red M.D. and just make tea every day. Had to toss it all when I quit cause kratom is delicious and lovely and it's hard to not just keep taking it. I'm surprised most kratom tastes awful cause the stuff I had settled on had a nice flavor as a tea I think. Maybe it's how its dried or something.

Mitragynine and its analogs have been established as Opioid agonists among potential other, auxilliary effects (it could be more than just an Opioid in terms of its effects profile). There doesn't seem to be a lot of conjecture left of the subject. People use Kratom (Mitragynine) and analogs like 7-Hydroxy Mitragynine to mitigate Opioid withdrawal or even as their drug/Opioid of choice. Kratom withdrawal presents as pretty straightforward, albeit relatively mild Opioid withdrawal comparable to somethiing like Codeine.

I have no doubt that Kratom is an Opioid and as such can and does produce dose-dependent respiratory depression as such. I am willing to be that there are many people out there who have died as a result of Kratom overdose. The most-likely scenario here would be Kratom combined with other CNS depressants like Alcohol or Benzodiazepines with the synergy leading to the all-too-common death by respiratory depression that we're all familiar with.

The day that the "media at-large" makes the definitive connection between Kratom and Opioid is gonna be the day Kratom is dealt its death blow. I think we need to treat Kratom as an Opioid like any other for the health, safety and well-being of our peers.

There are numerous studies on why kratom does NOT cause respiratory depression. From the lack of b.arrestin recruitment to the ceiling of opioid affinity.

Last edited: