• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Laymen Opinions on Straterra (Atomoxetine)

fyrehydrant

Bluelighter
Hi there
I have been prescribed Atomoxetine for my comorbid Bipolar/ADD
has anyone here tried it and what's the efficacy compared to say Ritalin ?

strattera was inferior compared to methylphenidate ime. i have Been prescribed both and if i had to describe atomoxetine with one word it would be brutal. i was in a constant state of tremor while on it and it made me sweat buckets. other than that it relieved my inner restlesness but it didn't help me focus at all. methylphenidate is better on every possible aspect.

Hi, I'm on Strattera, 60mg. I was on 80mg for a while which worked really well but it made my stutter 100x worse so I went down a little and it's all good now, but not as effective.

It's a fantastic little drug, but very subtle and it took like 4-5 weeks to start working for me and there were some adverse effects at the start. It's not Ritalin, it works all day, there's no comedown but also isn't as "effective", it just subtly increases your executive functioning in ways you don't always notice because it's so transparent. Hyperactivity is also way down. I actually combine it with 10mg of extended release methylphenidate because 60mg doesn't do too much.

It doesn't work for everyone but you gotta give it time, if it does work it can be a godsend.

Bit late in on this one ... I took Atomoxetine for a year or so combined with Bupropion, it was a good combo tbh. but it has some very undesirable s/e's for many men, delayed ejeculation was the most memorable and unpleasant :(

Last edited:
3rd month into atomoxetine and its working wonders, my life has completely turned around and its only getting better and better!

If finally get my diagnosis I would ask for atomoxetine better than ritalin, let's see what they say.