• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Learning Music to Aid Recovery

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I wasn’t sure whether to post here or the Music Discussion Forum - but has anyone tried learning to play an instrument as an aid to recovery? Or maybe getting back to improving old music skills you had?

I was teaching myself acoustic and electric guitar before meth got me. I would pick up my guitar once an hour or so for 20 minutes as a break from working on thesis. But I stopped the same day I had my first meth hit two years ago.

I’ve just started again as an end-of-day activity instead of TV. I’ve also added teaching myself piano.

To be honest, I’m fucking hopeless at both but I find working at it so interesting and engaging it totally distracts me from any craving or distraction. Even though I still have a pretty ginormous stash of all kinds of things I totally don’t even think about if I pick up an instrument and open my instruction app.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes! I posted in TDS the other day in the "Loss of a loved one" thread. After my fiancee died in a car wreck, I began spiraling out of control with heavy drinking and experimenting with cocaine on top of lots of weed smoking. Getting 2 DWIs three months apart was kind of a wake up call. Around the same time, however, I started playing acoustic guitar. In the beginning I pretty much became addicted to practicing. I would play 6 to 8 hours a day on the days I didn't have work. Just learning the chords in books checked out from the library and putting those fingerings on songs I'd download from the internet. Pink Floyd, The Who, John Prine, Bob Dylan, and eventually I found Townes Van Zandt. Today I can hardly play a lick of any of the cover songs I learned in the beginning because I asked myself, "Self, why waste your time learning all these covers when you can write your own words and make your own damn songs?"

To this day, I still don't watch TV. What a waste of fucking time letting some lit up box do your thinking for you. Several years ago I bought an open back banjo and started using that as a songwriting tool as well. Don't give up just because you are "hopeless." I used to bring my guitar to Christmas at my grandparents' house and sing Comfortably Numb, Brain Damage, and Squeeze Box for my family. And I totally sucked but I didn't give a shit either. lol.

When you think you suck, just tell yourself EVERYONE sucks while they are learning the ropes. Only the ones who stick it out, get their callouses, and keep going will have any success (whatever success means to you). For me, music has been very therapeutic. Some people write their thoughts in a journal as therapy. I write my thoughts in songs with meter and rhyming and share them with other people..... as therapy. The two things that kept me alive after my fiancee died were getting a cat and picking up the guitar. I was 24 years old when I got my first guitar and cat. 18 years later, my cat died but I still have two guitars and a banjo.

I used to regret not learning sooner, like at a younger age. But you can't let that hold you back. I don't know how old you are but IMO you are never too old to learn an instrument. There's a little known guy named Kevin Fore who started playing banjo in his mid thirties and now he has several albums out.

Yes! I posted in TDS the other day in the "Loss of a loved one" thread. After my fiancee died in a car wreck, I began spiraling out of control with heavy drinking and experimenting with cocaine on top of lots of weed smoking. Getting 2 DWIs three months apart was kind of a wake up call. Around the same time, however, I started playing acoustic guitar. In the beginning I pretty much became addicted to practicing. I would play 6 to 8 hours a day on the days I didn't have work. Just learning the chords in books checked out from the library and putting those fingerings on songs I'd download from the internet. Pink Floyd, The Who, John Prine, Bob Dylan, and eventually I found Townes Van Zandt. Today I can hardly play a lick of any of the cover songs I learned in the beginning because I asked myself, "Self, why waste your time learning all these covers when you can write your own words and make your own damn songs?"

To this day, I still don't watch TV. What a waste of fucking time letting some lit up box do your thinking for you. Several years ago I bought an open back banjo and started using that as a songwriting tool as well. Don't give up just because you are "hopeless." I used to bring my guitar to Christmas at my grandparents' house and sing Comfortably Numb, Brain Damage, and Squeeze Box for my family. And I totally sucked but I didn't give a shit either. lol.

When you think you suck, just tell yourself EVERYONE sucks while they are learning the ropes. Only the ones who stick it out, get their callouses, and keep going will have any success (whatever success means to you). For me, music has been very therapeutic. Some people write their thoughts in a journal as therapy. I write my thoughts in songs with meter and rhyming and share them with other people..... as therapy. The two things that kept me alive after my fiancee died were getting a cat and picking up the guitar. I was 24 years old when I got my first guitar and cat. 18 years later, my cat died but I still have two guitars and a banjo.

I used to regret not learning sooner, like at a younger age. But you can't let that hold you back. I don't know how old you are but IMO you are never too old to learn an instrument. There's a little known guy named Kevin Fore who started playing banjo in his mid thirties and now he has several albums out.
That’s really encouraging, though I am very sorry to hear about what you went through.

I’m 51, though somewhere around 35 in my own mind. I would absolutely love to be able to write my own songs and put them to music: just simple alt/folk style stuff. I really like guys like The White Buffalo or Paul Cauthen who tell a tale but manage to avoid sounding country.

I’m not very creative that way though- even though I write for a living.

Just about all my friends have some kind of musical skill and I can’t tell you how embarrassing it is when I go to parties or BBQs and after eating they kick off an impromptu jam with EVERYONE doing something even if it’s just singing or playing the spoons!

I so badly want to be able to participate in that.

That’s really encouraging, though I am very sorry to hear about what you went through.

I’m 51, though somewhere around 35 in my own mind. I would absolutely love to be able to write my own songs and put them to music: just simple alt/folk style stuff. I really like guys like The White Buffalo or Paul Cauthen who tell a tale but manage to avoid sounding country.

I’m not very creative that way though- even though I write for a living.

Just about all my friends have some kind of musical skill and I can’t tell you how embarrassing it is when I go to parties or BBQs and after eating they kick off an impromptu jam with EVERYONE doing something even if it’s just singing or playing the spoons!

I so badly want to be able to participate in that.
Thank you and no worries, I've cried all the tears I will cry over those things. It sounds like the impromptu jams are your motivation.

51 ain't that old, you still have half your life ahead of you. I jam once a week with a guy who's 49 I believe. We play 90% my songs with myself on vocals and a couple covers of his choosing that he sings. I can tell you from experience that playing in a group is difficult, especially as a newbie. But don't let that stop you from trying because each time you try you will incrementally get better. The fastest way to get used to hearing your own instrument in an ensemble is to play with one other person. Even if you're both on guitars, you can strum rhythm and the more experienced partner can play leads and fillers. I've been doing that with my friend for about 6 years now. In the beginning, I simply could not play and sing while someone else played along. I would get too distracted by hearing them and fuck up my own chords and rhythm. It takes practice. But playing with one person allows you to learn to feel where you should be and if they have better timing than you, it will help your timing improve. After a while, you should be able to go bigger and play with a group of people like when your friends jam out.

Another thing I've learned from playing with others is that other musicians have all been where you are now, so they are normally patient and understanding of your shyness and/or technical hiccups. As long as you aren't a dick about it, they will usually invite you back. And when you do make a mistake in a jam, it's best to smile and keep going rather than causing a train wreck and stopping altogether.

As for writing. I'm not too familiar with The White Buffalo but I've heard some Paul Cauthen. I'd look into Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, Steve Earle, and James McMurtry. Townes is more folky but with very raw subject matter, Guy Clark similarly has folky lyrics but country-sounding/bluegrass-ish instrumentation, Steve Earle and James McMurtry both are Americana, which means they sound more rock 'n roll with folk/country-ish lyrical content. For pure poetry, it never hurts to listen to 1960s Bob Dylan either. And FYI, not one single songwriter I just mentioned sounds country in the modern Nashville sense of the word. I like all of them for their lyrics first, instrumentation second.

If you are a writer by trade, you already have the tools. All you lack is learning how to use them in a way that the meter fits the rhythm of what you're playing and then there's the rhyme. I'm not gonna lie, I've pulled the chords off of Dylan songs and added my own lyrics. But he got famous doing just that, so I feel no shame. Writing songs, like playing an instrument, takes practice. Of the over 150 songs I've written, the first 10 or so were just testing the waters and are fit to be burned. But you don't get to 150 without starting out with some stinkers. Just let them flow out of your system and the improvement with take care of itself.

Man! Thanks so much: that’s all gotta be some of the most practical and encouraging advice I’ve received in my whole time on BL. You’ve really made my day.

Mostly all I get from BL is concerned warnings to stop dangerous drug combinations, the all-consuming responsibility of keeping the numerous shit-posters out of the Sex, Love, and Relationships Forum, and the moral responsibility to advise an endless stream of newbie or wannabe tweakers how not to utterly destroy themselves with that last great idea they just posted.

I might just move into this section for a while and hope the fiends don’t notice I’m gone. I’ve probably earned a break.

No problem at all! I was a moderator a long time ago so I feel your pain. Here's a very small taste of the songwriters I mentioned above.

Townes used to say that this song was the first serious song he ever wrote. Simple melody, simple lyrics, but if you're not ready the content will hit you upside the head. Most of his songs were like that.

Guy Clark and Townes became friends in the late 1960s early 70s I believe. They ran together in Houston and Austin and later both moved to Nashville. Guy's nickname was Songbuilder. I don't know if he ever got the acclaim that Townes received but some mainstream country performers have covered his songs.

Steve Earle used to hang out in Houston in the 70s and was much younger than Townes and Guy at the time.

James McMurtry is one of my favorite still living songwriters. I own all of his studio albums. His father is Larry McMurtry, who wrote Lonesome Dove. James' son, Curtis has huge shoes to fill but he is doing well coming into his own as a singer songwriter.

I was just talking with my psychotherapist this morning about how playing music was grounding for me. Almost meditative. It allows me to occupy both my right and left hands, each doing something different. As well as occupying my brain by maintaining mental focus.

I can see how this could help with recovery considering so many of our addictions involve more than just taking a drug, but also occupying both hands to fulfill our own little rituals of ingesting, regardless of ROA. Kind of like how cigarette smokers have a little ritual of tapping the pack of smokes upside down against the other hand. Pulling out a cig and sparking a light with the dominant hand. Hand movements that we all take for granted after a while but that were so foreign and awkward to us the first time we smoked. Entrance.... guitar or piano or whatever. Same idea but on a larger scale.

listening to ancient Slavic pagan music, most know that music therapy is healing i bet, but yes , being healed

Update: I junked my shitty $150 Chinese electric guitar and bought a nice Fender Stratocaster and a subscription to Fender Play and now I’m rockin’…

I haven’t written any songs but I’ve got a few chords and quick changes under control. The Fender online tuition is really great and practicing 30 min. a day progress is quick.

So, I work in music therapy, as some of you may already know,
and I have shitloads of first-hand info on making music and how much it helps people.
I often teach people simple instruments and play together with them,
man I see the saddest people laugh.

It's absolutely brilliant and in my eyes the best form of therapy.
Music touches everyone