• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Looking for experienced benzo users input on Valerian root. (if you have tried it)

I made a concentrated tea from the raw herb, def made me sleepy and relaxed.
I have zero benzo tolerance though, eat benzos like 1-3x per year at most.

Next im going to try to make a tincture with alcohol.
I usually also make Amanita muscaria tincture.
I suspect they will have a good synergy together, esp combined with some cannabis oil.

I’ve tried an extract that smelled like feet and worked well. I actually woke up dizzy the next morning and needed some hours to kind of pull it together. It’s about the product you obtain for sure, I’ve tried it other times with no effect.

-GC

Interesting, I always wrote valerian off as being a homeopathic supplement which only works if you believe in it. I drank half a bottle of standardized ethanolic extract and got exactly zero effects but nowadays I've learned that you need to extract herbs yourself if you want the real deal. I've read quite a few reports stating that valerian indeed is active.

There is a Russian med containing a derivate of valeric acid if I'm right now and which I once ordered together with a bunch of other Russian ones like afobazole and they all were more or less inactive :(

I have naturally high tolerances to a few drugs, like Kratom, so maybe it's just me

But does anybody have a simple extraction method for valerian root?

i gave it a go a few years back when i came off abusing the hell out of xanax. after going through the hell of just stopping them valerian root powder did seem to have a sorta calming effect but then cannot say for sure.
kinda smelt like horse shit, imo... stables.

It sometimes gives me a cozy feeling before I fall asleep but thats about it.

There is a Russian med containing a derivate of valeric acid if I'm right now and which I once ordered together with a bunch of other Russian ones like afobazole and they all were more or less inactive :(
Recently, I was in a Russian store that had Validol—menthyl isovalerate a.k.a. validolum—so I decided to buy a box of #40×50mg and experiment.

My expectations weren't all that high going in, since I've been likewise disappointed before by etifoxine, afobazole, et al. (not to mention herbal supplements in general).

Unfortunately, the effects of taking the drug by itself—even at higher doses of 300mg & upward—were always too subtle for me to identify clearly.

Still, #3-4 Validol taken alongside a benzo does seem to make it feel stronger, and may similarly boost other GABAergic drugs (like baclofen, at least, appears to benefit).

Last edited:
Recently, I was in a Russian store that had Validol—menthyl isovalerate a.k.a. validolum—so I decided to buy a box of #40×50mg and experiment.
Yeah this was what I was referring to.

But same here, almost, etifoxine worked but was the only one, afobazole, mesocarb etc didn't do shit for me. Oh, emoxypine worked too but only when done together with a stim, it removes a good deal of the crash and rebound. But now I'm off topic.

etifoxine worked but was the only one
Did you have to take it consistently over a period of time before it worked? Or did you find single doses to work for you as well? How large a dose did you need to take?

(This is off-topic for sure, but IMHO, people interested in the anxiolytic uses of valerian root are also likely to be interested in etifoxine, so I tend to think it's OK anyway.)

Did you have to take it consistently over a period of time before it worked? Or did you find single doses to work for you as well? How large a dose did you need to take?
I think it was instant, a bit like low dose benzo. Unfortunately I don't remember much details or the dose because it was more than ten years ago. I was wary if the compound because they say it can be toxic to the liver and didn't take it for long though. Guess one or two capsules at a time.

Tiagabine was better though, the only GABA reuptake inhibitor around, but only available in France.

it's not placebo. it's helpful for getting to sleep after a benzo taper. if you're lying down to read at the end of the day, it could help relax you. but i haven't found it much good for daytime anxiety. it's not like ativan and other benzos that give clear, strong anxiety relief while your mind stays busy.

it does not need to build up. the sedative, tranquilizing effects diminish after a few weeks of consistent use. it smells terrible and that smell will make its way into your body odor.