View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides LSD best reads

losthippy

Bluelighter
I'm building a list of the most highly regarded non-fiction books about LSD culture. I was a teenager when acid arrived in Australia in the '60's and recall the first trip I ever had in 1975 (a black dot). Over time my ability to score has slowly faded like most of my contacts, but I'm still keen on filling the gaps in what I think I already know on the subject. There are countless references on the web, but I'd still prefer a couple of 'go-to' books to add to my collection that readers here might already own or could recommend. The authors I have (Shulgin, Connell-Clarke, Letcher, McKenna(s) and others) are great references in their particular fields. but I can't seem to find much about the chemists and families who produced LSD prior to and since it's prohibition. Heads, by Jesse Jarnow seems like a close fit for the American experience, but there must be other titles out there that tell how LSD culture flourished elsewhere in the world, and about the movers and shakers who turned so many seekers on. Suggestions?

I haven't read it yet, though the Wiki entry sells it well. Australian 'drug culture' over the past half century is a wild and fragmented story nobody has bothered to write yet, sadly.

Timothy Leary, Ken Kesey, the Harvard group that experimented with LSD, certain US/UK/EU groups that tested LSD as a biological weapon, brotherhood of eternal love-don't be fooled it was all about making as much $ as possible, and not turning people on to spiritual experiences through LSD, various writings by long dead chemists like Bear, or who got out of the game decades ago, etc.

A lot of these writings you can find online for free on erowid and archive.org

Last edited:
I've read pretty much all of them and I couldn't really reccomend any. Usually the best written ones are by journalists doing "histories" of the particular drug but have never actually taken it themselves. The ones by people who have actually taken the drug are usually so badly written you struggle to read them. Tim Leary's "Flashbacks" is probably the one I'd grab to dip into.

Black ,pink green blue microdots and domes very similar to microdots to my knowledge were imported from the Uk ...

yea i especially loved Flashbacks

The High Priest by Leary is also really good - it's more short stories but entertaining for sure

Operation White Rabbit came out about a year or so ago - that was a good read too

Thanks for the feedback. Just got started on Chaos by Tom O'Neill. Heard him on Rogan a while ago and his take on one dark chapter of America's LSD history is an unsettling but really interesting read.