• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Lyrica repeats & up dosage advice

CrimsonRambeller820

Bluelighter
Hey there, so I had a pain management clinic prescribe me Lyrica on top of 1800mg of gabapentin throughout the day. I went to jail and lost that clinic, but I signed up with another one and he made me stop the gabapentin but put me on 100mg which is less than what I was initially prescribed for a month from the pain mgmt clinic. I have severe pain and 100mg in the morning feels like 300mg gabapentin. Barely anything. But I'm wondering how I can get to 300 a day from the doctor without sounding like I'm going to abuse them and see if in a month or two I can get up to 300 or 400 a day, which I think is plenty. Please give me advice on this as I don't know whether or not I should ask him for a higher dosage before this script is up; and I can ask him that in a couple weeks, if you all think that's a wise idea.

Hey there, so I had a pain management clinic prescribe me Lyrica on top of 1800mg of gabapentin throughout the day. I went to jail and lost that clinic, but I signed up with another one and he made me stop the gabapentin but put me on 100mg which is less than what I was initially prescribed for a month from the pain mgmt clinic. I have severe pain and 100mg in the morning feels like 300mg gabapentin. Barely anything. But I'm wondering how I can get to 300 a day from the doctor without sounding like I'm going to abuse them and see if in a month or two I can get up to 300 or 400 a day, which I think is plenty. Please give me advice on this as I don't know whether or not I should ask him for a higher dosage before this script is up; and I can ask him that in a couple weeks, if you all think that's a wise idea.
Play the game set before you. Keep complaining about pain but never directly ask for an increase

They prescribed pregabalin on top of gabapentin?! That shouldn’t have been done in the first place tbh. Your tolerance would absolutely be shot taking that much, after a while you’d be just taking those pills to keep from having withdrawals, they wouldn’t be helping.

What has your Dr put you on exactly? 100mg pregabalin?

I agree. If you have to choose, pregabalin is the more potent and effective drug and should be preferred over gabapentin.

Ask your doctor to help with pain management but do not insist on increasing dosages of specific medications.
Tight man that's a good direction to start out in. I'll let him know the 100mg isn't working when my refill is coming up. And yeah pregabalin seems way more potent I've never been able to feel much off gabapentin anyway but this pregabalin feels like an actual drug not a nootropic.

What has your Dr put you on exactly? 100mg pregabalin?
Yes that's correct, once a day in the morning.
And yeah I had that before. The dude starter me off on like 50mg every day for a week increasing 50mg every week eventually to 200mg but I went to jail halfway through that treatment. And yes, I'm sure it'd mess up my tolerance but it's supposed to help.

Yes that's correct, once a day in the morning.
And yeah I had that before. The dude starter me off on like 50mg every day for a week increasing 50mg every week eventually to 200mg but I went to jail halfway through that treatment. And yes, I'm sure it'd mess up my tolerance but it's supposed to help.
Might be worth splitting the dose if they won’t give you more. 50mg morning and 50mg in evening.

Honestly though, just say to the Dr that whilst it helps you are still in significant pain, don’t advocate for more, but ask what they recommend trying.

Have you tried other methods to control your pain? Heat/cold therapy, stretching, mindfulness and all that stuff? Mention to the Dr that you’re undertaking those methods to try to help your pain yourself but it’s not helping much. Tell your Dr you don’t expect to ever be pain free but you would like to have it under control to where you can get on with your daily tasks.

Might be worth splitting the dose if they won’t give you more. 50mg morning and 50mg in evening.

Honestly though, just say to the Dr that whilst it helps you are still in significant pain, don’t advocate for more, but ask what they recommend trying.

Have you tried other methods to control your pain? Heat/cold therapy, stretching, mindfulness and all that stuff? Mention to the Dr that you’re undertaking those methods to try to help your pain yourself but it’s not helping much. Tell your Dr you don’t expect to ever be pain free but you would like to have it under control to where you can get on with your daily tasks.
Cool bro. I very much appreciate the script to go by. Hopefully he is helpful. I did mention to him that when I was first prescribed it I was on more but he said "we usually start people off on the lowest dose, and work up from there". I essentially believe he could be made open to the idea, but I didn't know how to go about it so it's best I stick to the script of what you think I should tell him and how. Also, to answer your question, I injured my back to where I have nerve pain in September 2018 when I played a game of body shots with someone much bigger than me. They kidney spotted me but it was too close to my spine and since that day I haven never not had pain there; even with physical therapy, sports medicine, acupuncture, yoga, PT at -home stretches, and maybe one or two other holistic things I'm forgetting to mention. They all help to some degree, but it would be alot worse without pain meds. I actually went w/o cannabis for two years and only the gabs and baclofen and Lyrica but I'm glad to be able to burn herb bcuz it can put me in a such a state of mindfulness I am not focused on my nerve pain. I'm still wiling to try everything but surgery and cortisone shots but until I can figure out the path I need to take for it to get better I will take the pain meds I'm prescribed.

but this pregabalin feels like an actual drug not a nootropic.
It's a drug, legal but drug or medicine with psychoactive properties it was never a nootropic

Yeah just say that this is good for couple hours or till noon but you can't work or anything after due to pain so can doc help you somehow?

basicaly you are telling doc that pregabalin is good and factual it is a short acting 100mf is not for whole day in neuropathic pain

Be careful of pregabalin addiction but again if it is only working for you there is no better med I think for that on the market yet

It's a drug, legal but drug or medicine with psychoactive properties it was never a nootropic
I was referring to gabapentin when I mentioned nootropics. Like to me gabapentin doesn't have any recreational effects or a noticeable high but Lyrica definitely does.
Be careful of pregabalin addiction but again if it is only working for you there is no better med I think for that on the market yet
Yeah thank you, I will be careful. I had some time where I was quite the heavy drinker but that was years ago and I feel like I'm able to control my use of a wide range of substances now that I'm a bit more mature than I was when I was compulsively drinking. My Arab friend warned me about this, he said in Dubai the addiction to this is rampant and he's seen it ruin lives. I'm definitely not trying to throw myself into a whole addiction cycle when I'm still dealing with the consequences from the first one. It'll get more and more utilitarian as I up the dosage but I can't afford losing this or another med-modafinil if I do something stupid under the influence of pregabalin. I'm really sketch about meds too I never give these type of meds away for any reason no matter what not only bcuz I don't want to get caught and lose out from ever taking them again but also bcuz I kind of believe that I need this med more than other people. Like I literally have intense nerve pain.
Well you answered your own question
That is how it is with pregabalin
Next apt. you can get higher dose due to tollerance
So I shouldn't call him today and tell him the stuff about it only holding me off till noon and that makes it hard to get through work?

I'm sorry I thought you have more of them and at least till next apt., but I get it on the contrary
Bring all what you have so your doc won't think you abused it or took to many I did that couple times when I needed a box more for traveling to show that I have left for as total days till next refill.
You can try you don't have anything to loose

So thank you all for the input. I'm going to play the game nice and slow, but if I can get an initial 300mg once a day right off the bat then that's great. I'm going to call tmrw since I have one refill for the 3rd with 100mg once a day, but since the third is a weekend I'm going to call or better yet show up to the clinic tomorrow to try and meet with my doctor, and tell him that I don't feel relief from this medication at all after lunchtime, the effectiveness goes from like 60% to 0%. I don't think there will be any issue with getting to 200 from 100, I just feel like brows might start to be raised suspiciously if I were try to get on more than 300mg once a day this early in the treatment. If we can skip the 200 and go strait to 300 I feel like that'd be best and I actually wouldn't take it as often(every day,-as prescribed) if I knew I could for certain get relief every time I reach for this medicine I'd be only using it when I felt I absolutely had to.

Is it obvious that you have a history of addiction with this particular health worker? I guess you could put it into very simple and realistic terms: You will probably end up on opiates if the pain is THAT bad and nobody is doing anything to help it. Gabapentin isn't nearly close to being as dangerous as opioids or even an addiction that is known to be life-ruining. Its like either or with these cases... if someone is in horrible pain and the doctors won't help, they get what they need legally or not. Just as long as you do not phrase the ntion in a way like, "if you don't give me gabapentin I'll just buy heroin instead" lol. It is true though. Chronic pain patients not assisted properly by healthcare do not just sit there in pain 24/7 and be sober for the rest of their life. We know now more than ever what happens with that scenario.

Is it obvious that you have a history of addiction with this particular health worker? I guess you could put it into very simple and realistic terms: You will probably end up on opiates if the pain is THAT bad and nobody is doing anything to help it. Gabapentin isn't nearly close to being as dangerous as opioids or even an addiction that is known to be life-ruining. Its like either or with these cases... if someone is in horrible pain and the doctors won't help, they get what they need legally or not. Just as long as you do not phrase the ntion in a way like, "if you don't give me gabapentin I'll just buy heroin instead" lol. It is true though. Chronic pain patients not assisted properly by healthcare do not just sit there in pain 24/7 and be sober for the rest of their life. We know now more than ever what happens with that scenario.
Hey man, this is a great question and I think I am prepared to answer it to a decent quality. Well, he shouldn't know anything I haven't told him, but all he would say when I mentioned I was on both gabapentin and Lyrica when he declined me advocating to take both again was "they're the same drug". He shouldn't know anything about any actual life-interfering addiction cause there never was one, although he knows I was in drug court and rehab and jail and I've attested to significant "clean time" while going through all three of them. I had to explain the rehab and jail cause that's when I had services at the pain mgmt clinic where I first got rx'd Lyrica, but whether he believes it or not he knows I had 16 months free from alch minus a couple shots and a beer then another two years clean from alch and everything else but I was sentenced to rehab for all things for missing a group. Believe it or not no matter how many months or years you've been clean the judge can do what's called a "Juditial override" and give you rehab or residential and make it a condition that you complete that program before progressing any further in your drug court/probation/etc. I don't think he sees much of a reason to doubt anything I say although he's skeptical about my frequent cannabis use although I have a med card. I feel like most doctors are pretty leery about that, even in CA. Its likely cause they haven't been trained or educated on it in their normal curriculum to become a doctor.

If a doctor has it in their head that someone is going to abuse lyrics or gabaoentin you are never going to get a pain releif from that doctor even if you walk in there with all 4 limbs ripped off your body. Besides that fact thoughts like that qualify that doctor as incompetent and shouldn’t even be trusted with your health because they beleieve police propaganda and don’t read medical research. Sounds like the doctor is completely incompetent. I’d bet he doesn’t have a shred of empathy for anyone in chronic pain either and won’t gain any until his spine is shattered in a car accident one day

Find a new doctor

If a doctor has it in their head that someone is going to abuse lyrics or gabaoentin you are never going to get a pain releif from that doctor even if you walk in there with all 4 limbs ripped off your body. Besides that fact thoughts like that qualify that doctor as incompetent and shouldn’t even be trusted with your health because they beleieve police propaganda and don’t read medical research. Sounds like the doctor is completely incompetent. I’d bet he doesn’t have a shred of empathy for anyone in chronic pain either and won’t gain any until his spine is shattered in a car accident one day

Find a new doctor

Yeah this is pretty terrible. Its gabapentinoids... Suddenly after doctors chucked oxycodone at people like breath-mints who didn't even want to be on drugs, doctors decided to become fucking useless and continue to not help their patients by providing even soft narcotics. Like Lucid said then just see if you can discard this negligent doctor. I know its a hassle but if you're truly in constant pain then you're going to live out a life that does not feel worth living for. There's got to be a better way.

Find a new doctor
My arm got torn off by a washing machine. i get 1200mg of lyrica a day. at one point i was on 3600mg of gabapentin. a fucking 1/8th oz!

My arm got torn off by a washing machine. i get 1200mg of lyrica a day. at one point i was on 3600mg of gabapentin. a fucking 1/8th oz!
Jesus that’s horrible sorry. Did you at least get opioids during the acute phase following the injury?

These Gabapentinoids aren’t even pain drugs. It’s sickening to see doctors use them as a replacement for opioids.

They are far more physically addictive than opioids too once you’re hooked on them you’re completely fucked trying to get off. Opiates are easy to get off in comparison