Marijuana joint falls out of assistant city attorney's pocket -- in court

Of all the places you'd take a joint, fucking criminal court...And on top of that having it just rolling round his pocket willy nilly. Guys obviously a dumbass or just really didn not give a fuck.
Can't imagine someone doing that over here, never mind in 'merica where a bag of buds can get you like 20 years or some bullshit..

A New Orleans attorney was cited for marijuana possession this week after a joint tumbled out of his pocket in front of police, according to media reports.

Police say Jason Cantrell, who has a private practice but also serves as a part-time assistant city attorney, was in the magistrate section of criminal court chatting with police officers when a marijuana joint fell out of his pocket and onto the floor, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported.

Cantrell, 43, was a first-time offender and was cited, issued a summons to appear in court for simple possession of marijuana and let go, according to police spokesman Garry Flot.

The handling of his case is the result of an effort by city leaders and prosecutors two years ago to unclog a congested system and allow people arrested for having a small amount of marijuana on them to receive a summons and not be taken to jail, according to the Times-Picayune.

Besides being a private practice attorney, Cantrell doubles as a part-time city attorney, handling cases in traffic court. He was not working for the city when the incident occurred.

City Hall spokesman Ryan Berni told WDSU that Cantrell has been suspended without pay, pending an investigation.

Cantrell’s wife, LaToya, is a candidate for a district seat on the City Council. She released a statement apologizing for her husband and saying, “I absolutely do not condone his actions,” the New York Daily News reported.

cont at
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...assistant-city-attorneys-pocket-in-court?lite

He probably thought he could just get away with anything considering his position, assuming a cop wouldn't want to mess with a lawyer that knows their stuff. Common sense could've taught him that bringing a joint to court isn't a good idea.

lol what a noob

Couldn't keep it in his car? Couldn't at least leave it in a locker, or in something that looks all official and legit but zips up? Jesus. Your pocket. Nice going man. :|

How many of us actually put joints in our pockets for any amount of time?

Talk about a good way to break or lose a joint.

Venrak;10959539 said:
How many of us actually put joints in our pockets for any amount of time?

Talk about a good way to break or lose a joint.

Yeah, for real.

Maybe he had been doing that for a long time, smoking it outside during lunch break, and just thought he could do it indefinitely? Who knows.

"I love my husband unconditionally and am very concerned for his health and well-being, and for that of our family,” LaToya said. “I hope that this incident will encourage Jason to seek the professional help.

I'll keep him in my thoughts. Hopefully he can make it out of this horrid addiction alive and without cerebral degeneration.

I applaud her for upholding her husband instead of pandering for votes.
applause.gif

Newbierock;10959325 said:
never mind in 'merica where a bag of buds can get you like 20 years or some bullshit..

In the majority of states, marijuana possession is a misdemeanor in amounts less than about a 1/4 lb. So no, you can't get 20 years for a bag of buds unless it is a trash bag full of buds lol

What he did was dumb, but for me the article only serves to emphasize how stupid pot laws are. If it were a cigarette falling out of his pocket there would be no comment. It's mind blowing how a simple difference in the substance changes the reaction of everyone around.

Lol yes they do. On the article... what a douche lol how absent minded can you be doing such idiocy haha. His wife is hilarious too... she doesn't condone him being such a dumbass!

He will probably get off scott-free, since he works in the legal system. They all got each other's backs. But who knows? He sounds like a dumbass douche.

“I absolutely do not condone his actions,”

is that a typo and they put 'not' in accidently?

doesnt really make sense

Man up wifey! You knew he smoked for years and now yor a hippocrit. That is political bull shit.

No, that makes sense. "I do not condone [your] actions" means "I do not support your actions".