Marijuana joint falls out of assistant city attorney's pocket -- in court

Of all the places you'd take a joint, fucking criminal court...And on top of that having it just rolling round his pocket willy nilly. Guys obviously a dumbass or just really didn not give a fuck.
Can't imagine someone doing that over here, never mind in 'merica where a bag of buds can get you like 20 years or some bullshit..

pbuilder;10976802 said:
cannabis is the safest drug on the planet, including your legal Advil, cold medicine any anything else anyone can buy from any pharmacy.
I know im nit-picking, but DMT is safer than THC. Both occure in natural living organisms, but DMT occures in humans whereas THC only occures in marijuana plants. And otc painkillers are dangerous as all hell.

slimvictor;10984087 said:
^ The LD 50 for caffeine is relatively easily reachable if you snort or swallow pure caffeine or caffeine pills. Some people need to go to the hospital for taking 2 grams of caffeine.
Nothing like that is true for weed.

Caffeine is physically addictive.
Weed is (arguably) not.

Both are relatively safe but...

(ta dum)

Weed wins.
Really? If someone goes to the hospital for snorting 2 grams of caffeine then they are dumber than the lawyer who brought a joint into court! And caffeine is not physically addictive, although it is incredibly mild. But caffeine is pyschologically addictive. Weed is also pyschologically addictive, but not as addictive as caffeine. I have a friend whos addicted to caffeine. Every morning, "hey lets go get some nos!" or "Come with me to go get some monsters!" Dont take caffeine kids, its bad for you.

You have to remember that this is NEW ORLEANS we are talking about...and if you don't realize why...

http://www.wdsu.com/New-Marijuana-P...ect/-/9854144/10982000/-/kf7cgpz/-/index.html

I live in LA and frequently visit New Orleans, and the last thing anybody is really worried about is weed. My friends have gotten handed out flyers for Nitrous Tanks in public (w/ actual phone numbers to contact about them included) just walking about the Frenchman area of New Orleans. Really, he probably wouldn't have even gotten that summons had he not been IN A COURTHOUSE. And at the end of the day he won't even have to go to that court summons since he is a lawyer...It's just a really funny situation. New Orleans acknowledges weeds insignificance in the overall scheme of crime is concerned, and gives law enforcement individuals the ability to determine whether or not it's worth law enforcement's time. And they probably won't think it's worth their time unless it blatantly disrespects law and order. I imagine the sitaution as a whole was moreso of a "....REALLY?!" type situation than it was a cop thinking weed is affiliated with the hardcore criminal activity that city is notorious for...

slimvictor;10984087 said:
Weed is (arguably) not.

Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves. There is no argument about it, weed absolutely is physically addictive -- about to the same degree as nicotine. Here's a highly abridged list of the current literature which confirms this:

The cannabis withdrawal syndrome
By Budney Alan J; Hughes John R
From Current opinion in psychiatry(2006),19(3),233-8.

Cannabis and dependence
By Swift, Wendy; Hall, Wayne
Edited by Grotenhermen, Franjo; Russo, Ethan
From Cannabis and Cannabinoids(2002),257-268.

Review of the validity and significance of cannabis withdrawal syndrome
By Budney Alan J; Hughes John R; Moore Brent A; Vandrey Ryan
From The American journal of psychiatry(2004),161(11),1967-77.

A review of the published literature into cannabis withdrawal symptoms in human users
By Smith Neil T
From Addiction (Abingdon, England)(2002),97(6),621-32.

Withdrawal sequelae to cannabis use
By Rohr J M; Skowlund S W; Martin T E
From The International journal of the addictions(1989),24(7),627-31.

Oral delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol suppresses cannabis withdrawal symptoms
By Budney Alan J; Vandrey Ryan G; Hughes John R; Moore Brent A; Bahrenburg Betsy
From Drug and alcohol dependence(2007),86(1),22-9.

Pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy in cannabis withdrawal and dependence
By Benyamina, Amine; Lecacheux, Marie; Blecha, Lisa; Reynaud, Michel; Lukasiewcz, Michael
From Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics(2008 ),8 (3),479-491.

Increasing treatment options for cannabis dependence: A review of potential pharmacotherapies
By Hart, Carl L.
From Drug and Alcohol Dependence(2005),80(2),147-159.

do those studies acknowledge that cannabis is an antidepressant, and depressive symptoms should be expected in a proportion of any group of individuals?

they could list depression as a "withdrawal symptom" when really it could be that the cannabis was functioning as an antidepressant, perhaps even causing rebound depression. and of course, depression is only one example.

Most cannabis withdrawal symptoms have little or no overlap with depression symptoms (e.g. sweating, restlessness, insomnia, etc).

Also, to be clinically significant, a withdrawal syndrome must not only be observed but reliably induced by an antagonist. With the development of rimonabant, a CB1 antagonist, the withdrawal syndrome was shown to be reliably inducible.

The evidence shows that it is real, I don't know what else to say about the cannabis withdrawal syndrome.

Venrak;10959539 said:
How many of us actually put joints in our pockets for any amount of time?

Talk about a good way to break or lose a joint.

THIS. also c'mon, in court of all places? i wouldn't take drugs into a courthouse period, too paranoid.

Roger&Me;11023644 said:
Most cannabis withdrawal symptoms have little or no overlap with depression symptoms (e.g. sweating, restlessness, insomnia, etc).

Also, to be clinically significant, a withdrawal syndrome must not only be observed but reliably induced by an antagonist. With the development of rimonabant, a CB1 antagonist, the withdrawal syndrome was shown to be reliably inducible.

The evidence shows that it is real, I don't know what else to say about the cannabis withdrawal syndrome.

It doesn't exist with cannabis. Be real.

bloodshed344;11024325 said:
It doesn't exist with cannabis. Be real.

Indeed. No amount of sophistry can convince me that cannabis withdrawal is a common and significant event.

^ Enjoy living behind a wall of ignorance then, i'll be sure to pay you a visit every now and then and bring news from the real world. :)

for a person with insomnia, depression, or etc, it could be very significant. (and that depends on what time in your life you discontinue smoking, i suppose)

qwe;11024764 said:
for a person with insomnia, depression, or etc, it could be very significant. (and that depends on what time in your life you discontinue smoking, i suppose)
I can agree with this as far as cannabis withdrawal goes. However I think the great majority of the population won't experience any kind of 'withdrawal' from cannabis unless they're on a daily dose of pure butane oil and potent edibles, etc.

My point is regular users aren't going to get withdrawals, only special cases like the above example and of course there are well known withdrawals from CANNABINOIDS.

When I was doing a 2 month stint in rehab for opiate addiction, I met - and made friends with - three peeps from far and wide whose doc was always weed. I'd have some heated debates with them about whether weed is addictive (physically and/or mentally) and at least two of them were very convincing in that they claimed to be addicted to the stuff. However, I remained skeptical.

Later on, after successfully finishing the rehab program and getting back into the workforce, I met and made friends with a very laid back, down to earth pot head - a pleasant person to be around. That all changed the first time I witnessed him coming to work after not smoking any weed the previous night. He was behaving very erratically. His usual optimistic, understanding, funny, assertive personality was completely gone. In its place, I witnessed an irritable, anti-social, depressed, anxious, seemingly distressed individual who didn't wanna do any work. He just sat there all day with his arms crossed, did nothing all morning, and left home sick at lunch.

Later on that day, I found out from his gf that he hadn't smoked any weed in a couple of days because his dealer wasn't answering his cell phone. Also according to his gf, he didn't actually come down with an illness, nor did something happen which warranted his stark change in his mood.

With that in mind, I now feel that, although it's probably impossible to die from smoking weed, there is in fact, either a physical or psychological dependency which is probably formed after smoking weed on a daily basis for some time. Especially considering that the following day at work, my co-worker was back to his old self, and stunk like skunk piss.

My co-worker (the person in question with the apparent weed withdrawal symptoms), at the time, had been a daily user for about a year.