Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Media inquiry: Public treatment access in Aus

sjnichols

Bluelighter
Hey everyone,

My name is Sam and I'm a freelance journalist based in Australia -- I actually wrote a piece on Bluelight for VICE a few years ago + spoken to some of you previously for some stories I've worked on in the past.

I wanted to reach out as I'm looking at covering a story on access to public treatment in Australia (including residential, non-residential and detox). There's been some pretty damning reports that the wait times for these places are getting longer and longer. There's also reports of people paying thousands of dollars to access private treatment, some of which are just telling people to pray.

I've spoken with AOD workers and academics across the country so far, but I'm hoping to include perspectives from people who have actually experienced this.

Any and every story is welcome! I also appreciate this can be a sensitive topic, so anonymity can be provided as well.

If you're interested in reaching out, you can contact me at:
Email: samjnichols [at] protonmail [dot] com
Wickr: nicholsgb
Signal +61 492 492 464
Or, you guys can DM me here.

Thanks, everyone!
Sam

Hey everyone,

My name is Sam and I'm a freelance journalist based in Australia -- I actually wrote a piece on Bluelight for VICE a few years ago + spoken to some of you previously for some stories I've worked on in the past.

I wanted to reach out as I'm looking at covering a story on access to public treatment in Australia (including residential, non-residential and detox). There's been some pretty damning reports that the wait times for these places are getting longer and longer. There's also reports of people paying thousands of dollars to access private treatment, some of which are just telling people to pray.

I've spoken with AOD workers and academics across the country so far, but I'm hoping to include perspectives from people who have actually experienced this.

Any and every story is welcome! I also appreciate this can be a sensitive topic, so anonymity can be provided as well.

If you're interested in reaching out, you can contact me at:
Email: samjnichols [at] protonmail [dot] com
Wickr: nicholsgb
Signal +61 492 492 464
Or, you guys can DM me here.

Thanks, everyone!
Sam

I detoxed myself last year in October. My support was a counsellor telling me over the phone that if I've not had any seizures in the past I'm unlikely to now. No medication because no doctor would give it to me, despite access to hospital records.

It's woeful. I hate to think what's happening to people less fortunate (homeless etc).

I detoxed myself last year in October. My support was a counsellor telling me over the phone that if I've not had any seizures in the past I'm unlikely to now. No medication because no doctor would give it to me, despite access to hospital records.

It's woeful. I hate to think what's happening to people less fortunate (homeless etc).
Yeah, you can forget about anyone giving you proper medication. They will hand out anti depressants like candy though, even for things like anxiety that in some cases will make it worse. Theres this myth that many anti depps are non 'addictive' even though they actually are.
If something makes you feel good or at least better, your damn right its gonna be addictive.
Nevermind the side effects from stopping that will make you relapse.
Ive struggled to get off this stuff for ages now and am still only partly successful.
Sorry if this is kinda offtopic.

Now more on topic, i am methadone maintenance atm. Currently tapering so i can get off it and switch back to subutex. I'm almost there.
As for how hard it is to get on therapy? It really depends where you are.
Some places have longer waiting lists then others. I had to wait a few weeks to get to the clinic i am now. Before that it was through a doctor who prescribed subs but he was just not a good one and i was sick of him being rude and treating me like shit. I had no choice but to put up with it cuz there werent many options. Seems its gotten worse now.
I think i was lucky to find my current clinic as its so much better.
If your in Brisbane I have to recommend the QLD Progressive Health clinic Its the best ive been at. There is undoubtedly a waiting list though so be warned.

Yeah, you can forget about anyone giving you proper medication. They will hand out anti depressants like candy though, even for things like anxiety that in some cases will make it worse. Theres this myth that many anti depps are non 'addictive' even though they actually are.

I've been on SSRIs since 1993 and they are useless for anxiety. They've helped me a couple of times out of severe depression but that was decades ago and now they seem to do nothing for anything.

Alcoholics need benzodiazepines. Alcohol is the only drug that can kill you in withdrawal (with heroin being a possible exception).

Interestingly, I was in Emergency for something unrelated a few months ago but I'd run out of benzos so I made the most of it and got 10mg diaz off them. Unlike in the past they were quite happy to give them to me.

THEN a nurse did this questionnaire with me about my alcohol use. She said it was so they could assess my need for diazepam (that seems to be the go-to in hospital) and possibly give me more than the usual amount! This is new.

So maybe they've had that many people with alcohol problems present to Emergency they've had to look at their treatment.

Now more on topic, i am methadone maintenance atm. Currently tapering so i can get off it and switch back to subutex. I'm almost there.
As for how hard it is to get on therapy? It really depends where you are.
Some places have longer waiting lists then others. I had to wait a few weeks to get to the clinic i am now. Before that it was through a doctor who prescribed subs but he was just not a good one and i was sick of him being rude and treating me like shit. I had no choice but to put up with it cuz there werent many options. Seems its gotten worse now.
I think i was lucky to find my current clinic as its so much better.
If your in Brisbane I have to recommend the QLD Progressive Health clinic Its the best ive been at. There is undoubtedly a waiting list though so be warned.

That's interesting. While I was going through the alcohol withdrawal by myself, mum mentioned people getting methadone at the chemist. We were saying, well isn't there something like that for alcoholics?

There is and they're called benzodiazepines, but sometimes it seems the medical profession is more sympathetic to heroin addicts.

I've been on SSRIs since 1993 and they are useless for anxiety. They've helped me a couple of times out of severe depression but that was decades ago and now they seem to do nothing for anything.

Alcoholics need benzodiazepines. Alcohol is the only drug that can kill you in withdrawal (with heroin being a possible exception).

Interestingly, I was in Emergency for something unrelated a few months ago but I'd run out of benzos so I made the most of it and got 10mg diaz off them. Unlike in the past they were quite happy to give them to me.

THEN a nurse did this questionnaire with me about my alcohol use. She said it was so they could assess my need for diazepam (that seems to be the go-to in hospital) and possibly give me more than the usual amount! This is new.

So maybe they've had that many people with alcohol problems present to Emergency they've had to look at their treatment.

That's interesting. While I was going through the alcohol withdrawal by myself, mum mentioned people getting methadone at the chemist. We were saying, well isn't there something like that for alcoholics?

There is and they're called benzodiazepines, but sometimes it seems the medical profession is more sympathetic to heroin addicts.
Same. I just mentioned i had depression and BAM! was prescribed setraline. Was them convinced to change to effexor by this hack doctor with constant mood swings. I would bet money he was being pushed by pharma.
I do have depression though as well as anxiety but at the speed it happened was insane. There was no evaluation.
The one time i actually needed something from him like antibiotics cuz i had an UT infection he didnt give a shit and wanted tests done.
I told him it hurt when i pissed and his response was too bad take panadol while you jump through hoops before i prescribe you a simple antibiotic.
No other doctor seemed to have this whole run around process. He was pretty bad.
Anyway, i digress.

I've actually become an alcoholic now due to inability to get any proper medications. Benzos? Hah, forget about it. Go take melatonin if you cant sleep. Anxiety? Take this antidepressant that doesnt help or makes it worse.
Your an addict so you dont deserve working medicine.
Nevermind that i never abused benzos. I cant even take them during the day but only at night as i dont like their side effects.
So yeah, since im an alco now i do feel your pain.

There is very little treatment for alcoholics except cold turkey or they give you shit like champix.
That is if they decide your an addict. Wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. Given this was unsolicited advice from another bad doctor cuz i mentioned i smoked...yeah. i heard it being used for alcohol too so feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Benzo therapy is whats recommended for alcoholics but good luck getting it. If they even get a inkling of addiction your suddenly too risky for benzos. There are few alternatives it seems too.
Cuz to cover their own asses its better to let these dirty addicts suffer then actually help them.
Addictions can come in many forms though and i dont think the medical field even understands it really.
Anything can be addictive if it feels good. Its human nature to want to feel good if your feeling like shit.
I just think its hypocritical to sling obviously addicting stuff like ssri/snri but not ok for bemzos or mild opiates.
One of the better doctors even told me im excluded from getting even anti depressants but sonce their a 'no problem' drug he said it was ok and give me. He was honest and open though which i respected highly. Usually they lie
The whole system and even some doctors cant make up their mind though.

Am i the only one that thinks thats unfair? Why is addiction such a big deal? Its not like you will get an unlimited supply through the medical system.
With proper medical support, an addict can totally benefit from benzos and even opiates.
No wonder so many just skip it all and go black market.

Sorry for the rant but this is something ive been dealing with years now and its unfair. Your a second class citizen in their eyes and dont deserve effective treatment.
I dont know if opiod addicts are treated better then alcos but it hasnt been my experience.
Sorry this is so long >_< I tend to ramble...

Last edited: