• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[Mega] Anxiety and Paranoia Help / Discussion Thread

Seyer

Bluelight Crew
Welcome to the 3rd edition.

This is the place to discuss anything and everything cannabis and anxiety/paranoia related.

Right, this is the place for all discussions/questions about anxiety and paranoia caused by cannabis. This is quite common, especially with very strong weed. Some people experience it when they first start smoking, posssibly because of the strangeness of the experience. Some people just find cannabis to be anxiogenic; it's not for everyone. In other cases, people who have been heavy smokers for years develop it; this seems to be particularly common with those who started smoking at a young age.

Exercise is a great way to deal with anxiety. Go for a walk, or just occupy yourself. Sitting there with your mind racing is the worst thing you can do. Downers can combat anxiety, but it's a slippery slope, and you wouldn't be the first to find yourself physically dependent on benzos/opiates. Not smoking is also a good tactic for avoiding weed-related anxiety.

Anyway, we're starting from scratch guys, so please drop some knowledge all up in here.

This thread is traditionally very helpful, so let's keep it respectful. Any questions regarding these two topics will likely be merged here.
Discuss.

Last edited:
Feeling insane after a marijuana binge?

EDIT: A NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR - CHAINER

Tradition follows, as the MEGA Anxiety thread of yesteryear (located here) was killed a bit early.

This is the place to discuss anything and everything cannabis and anxiety/paranoia related.

Right, this is the place for all discussions/questions about anxiety and paranoia caused by cannabis. This is quite common, especially with very strong weed. Some people experience it when they first start smoking, posssibly because of the strangeness of the experience. Some people just find cannabis to be anxiogenic; it's not for everyone. In other cases, people who have been heavy smokers for years develop it; this seems to be particularly common with those who started smoking at a young age.

Exercise is a great way to deal with anxiety. Go for a walk, or just occupy yourself. Sitting there with your mind racing is the worst thing you can do. Downers can combat anxiety, but it's a slippery slope, and you wouldn't be the first to find yourself physically dependent on benzos/opiates. Not smoking is also a good tactic for avoiding weed-related anxiety.

Anyway, we're starting from scratch guys, so please drop some knowledge all up in here.

This thread is traditionally very helpful, so let's keep it respectful. Any questions regarding these two topics will likely be merged here.

-Chainer

For the past two months or so I've been smoking a lot more marijuana than usual. I generally would smoke 5 days a week an the next week smoke less frequently, maybe 2-3 times. What I noticed is that after I smoke a lot over a small period of time, if I don't smoke again for the next day or so, I will start to feel crazy. I'd feel as if everyone was out to get me, very paranoid, I'd think the craziest things, like theories about the universe, why/how we exist, alien conspiracies. I didn't understand reality whatsoever, why people live the way they do, without knowing anything about their existence, why they don't think and are so passive about things that were so obvious to me. I basically was thinking way too much, WAY too much. What i was doing was basically smoking weed to keep my mind calm, keeping me from thinking, and from the reality i was unable to comprehend/handle; and so once I stopped I began thinking again, till eventually I realized it was the weed causing it in the first place (I'm pretty sure). I still do believe these things, but I'm not in the same mentally insane type headset I was, so you could say I'm fine now. It seemed like something that would happen to a meth addict when they have a psychotic break. I've lessened my use over the past 2 weeks, to once a week like it always was before this, and I intend to keep it this way. But I really want to know what happened to me? And why?

That's rather strange. Maybe you shouldn't smoke as often as it takes for you to get those effects, or smoke at all?

Myself and many other people have "binged" on herb daily or even multiple or many times daily for long periods of time and we didn't get paranoid or get what you described.

I don't know what age you are but maybe you're becoming more and more conscious every day?

I know a lot of people that smoke weed every day and some are very conscious and always wondering and searching, verging on conspiracy theorists, majestic 12 terrence mckenna. nwo etc.
And I myself do wonder if there is a part of weed that opens up a certain part of your brain, or more likely damages a part of your brain.

But also like I said there is a lot of people who smoke weed every day and just play PS3 and sports,
i know a woman who smoked UK soapbar every day whilst getting her masters degree from glasgow uni, people are just different man.

I gave up weed for 9 months and personally my life got worse, some aspects were better I had a wee bit more more ambition and enthusiasm and fitness but most of my friends are all stoners
and I didn't really fancy going to try meet new people at zumba or badmington or whatever the fuck so I ended up getting back on it.

Also please check the mega threads out! This is the perfact kind of thing for the Anxiety and Paranoia thread. In fact, i think ill move it!

------->

I can relate to you on this, been there and done that.

Its a horrible experience that seems to be bordering the lines of panic and psychosis.

I stopped for nearly a year due to the anxiety and all the problems associated with marijuana. It honestly didn't get much better but weed makes it that much worst. I don't know...maybe after this break and started slow and tapered up to smoking again maybe it'd be different. Its such a wishy washy topic for me, I really don't know what to think of weed at this point...its a doubled edged sword.

EDIT: The mega threads are nice and all but topics like this are quickly ignored and forgotten with the original poster being left with not much input on their personal experience.

we're having some technical difficulties. Will fix in the morning. Then this will be moved to anxiety thread.

I have never felt insane, no matter how much weed I smoke, or hash, or wax.

Twice now I have eaten an entire hubby bar, and gotten LSD type visuals, but that's just good for me. =D I like a price-equivalent alternative to a hit of acid that's attainable at my local medical marijuana dispensary. =D

Woah just done a search on hubby bars, that shit looks niiiice.

We need that in the UK. The LCC need to get their act together.

sounds like you got pretty stoned. What were you expecting to happen?

I'd feel as if everyone was out to get me, very paranoid, I'd think the craziest things, like theories about the universe, why/how we exist, alien conspiracies. I didn't understand reality whatsoever, why people live the way they do, without knowing anything about their existence, why they don't think and are so passive about things that were so obvious to me. I basically was thinking way too much, WAY too much.

^ This is very similar to what I've experienced when I started smoking a lot more weed a few months ago. Constantly paranoid I was going to get caught, and doing a lot of deep thinking about things that probably don't have much meaning. For me though, I kept smoking more and more and it all kind of subsided, kind of just said screw it.

It is good though you were able to identify the problem, probably being weed but who knows. Stick to your one a week plan and check back in and let us know if the thoughts of craziness have passed or not.

Tradition follows, as the MEGA Anxiety thread of yesteryear (located here) was killed a bit early.

Misc Advice (Feel Free to contribute yours by PMing me additions to the front post!)

That Valerian root (Capsules) and Camomile/chamomile tea offer help with anxiety quite a bit of relief from them both. (ive never used both) I tend to pop valerian capsules for say, stoner gatherings , 'free houses' etc.

I went from struggling to smoke a .150 joint to smoking 2gs 2 days in a row with lots of stoner mates, that was simply by cutting right back on caffeine intake and consuming Either camomile or valerian for the experience.

Last edited:
What the fuck?

The whole other thread deleted?

It did have some good info, too bad you didn't just lock it like some of the other mods do with the older mega threads.

I have an EXTREMELY low tolerance to marijuana, 1-2 hits of strong marijuana will put me into a different world and 3 is just absolutely mindblowning. Throws me into a different universe and it's very difficult to understand what is going on, and what i'm thinking. When I get to a very high level I get paranoid thinking on occasion, which can lead to anxiety but i've never had an actual panic attack from smoking. I've had panic attacks while sober, couldn't breath right, chest hurt, very dizzy, tears for no reason then an intense derealization that shortly fades away in 2-3 days time.

Now recently I smoked a few days in a row, each time getting too high for absolute comfort and my mind raced (sativa dominant marijuana). But last night I smoked a bit too much after already feeling high and it was ridiculous. It started out with a little bit of paranoia but it went away, then I just had thought paradoxes, one after the other. Every minute my mind must have gone through 10 paradoxes that were in a thought loop, although it wasn't necessarily stressful, it was extremely fast pace. It was very difficult to keep up with my thoughts and I couldn't have been able to write them down, or else I would forget what I wanted to say. I'd read highdeas before, but my thoughts were much more complex, I honestly wasn't able to write one down so I don't even know if they made any sense at all.

After all this I woke up and felt weird, my mind was still going faster than normal but it was tolerable. Now that it is wearing off, I feel very derealized. The quick answer would be "clearly you have underlying mental issues and marijuana isn't for you" But the thing is I am not depressed whatsoever right now. I have no anxiety at all, I have disinhibition to social matters, while normally I have social anxiety. I am really happy and life feels amazing, I so happy to be alive right now and I am so excited for the future, much more than if I was in my normal state of consciousness. I am definitely done smoking marijuana, but I am curious as to why I feel so incredibly happy during derealization, while I didn't even have a panic attack?

It's easy to forget that cannabis is a psychedelic drug - this type of experience is very common for new or low-tolerance smokers who toke on some really good weed for just a bit too long :) It's best to watch your dosages and make sure you have a good setting. It sounds like you did enjoy yourself a bit. If you don't get panic - don't go looking for it! :)

Also, the paranoia side effect generally goes away for most users as tolerance develops, however for some users this is simply not the case.

What the fuck?

The whole other thread deleted?

It did have some good info, too bad you didn't just lock it like some of the other mods do with the older mega threads.

Yteek, the thread was merged into another thread by a mod (by accident) which destroyed any semblance of a thread that it was had. I simply re-created the thread and fixed our directory. Perhaps you'd rather I do not remake it? o_O

I just wish it wasn't lost all together.

It was pages and hundreds of post that established quite a decent amount of info on the topic already... it sucks everything got deleted.

I couldn't agree more... But, we have a fantastic community here, so I am sure we will fill the next 50 pages of this thread in no time.

yeah, I just started smoking again about 6 months ago after a 2yr. break. I had anxiety and panic attacks for yrs. in the past, so when I started smoking again I kinda freaked, but I knew what it was and why it was happening and I knew I was really in no danger after a couple times. I love my weed so I overcame it, as I knew it was all in my head. Now the other day I finally got me some hydro, took one hit and was soooo high! I got in the bathtub and was relaxing and then I started kinda thinking I was going to fall asleep in the tub and end up like whitney houston. ( I really thought that!) so I just finished bathing and got out and listened to my music, got on face book, ect... and I was fine. The panic went away. This was last night. like the mod said... If you feel panic or anxiety ect... Just occupy yourself. love to go to the gym when I am stoned!