• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[Mega] Cannabis and Depression

custard

Bluelighter
ok, I know a thread has been done on this before, but as it's 5 years old, I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a new one. First off, weed and depression. What are your thoughts? As for mine:

I'm pretty confused as to how I stand on the matter. I often experience mild depression. Not strong enough that I'm going to go search for prescription drugs and a diagnosis, but enough that I often lack motivation and meaning in life. Pot often helps with that. Enhances my creativity, allows me to take greater interest in the world, makes me feel more 'alive'. But it also seems to make things worse for me some of the time. Last night I smoked, after spending all day in a moderate, slightly productive mood, and it brought me down. I felt more depressed, worse about myself, I ended up forcing myself to be creative but it was just a waste. I ended up playing video games and passing out cause that's all my brain could handle. So sometimes she helps, sometimes she don't. I'm gonna try to cut back - I still need to smoke every night for sleep and relaxation, but maybe I'll just smoke an hour before bed instead of 5.

Also - long term daily (or nightly) smoking and depression? I have no idea if my depression feels more present due my life, personality, and other factors, or if the fact that I've been smoking pot every night for almost a year has anything to do with it. I'm not saying I was great beforehand and pot ruined me.. but it makes me wonder. I used to only smoke once every week or two. The experience of getting high was very different - I was more 'high' than stoned, and the experience was much more fun and exciting and different. Now it's very familiar, and feels less pleasant than it used to. Just wondering what others have experienced in relation to long-term daily use and mood/productivity/how the high feels.

*one last bit. Sometimes pot allows me to think more clearly and indepth, as I'm sure it does for many. But lately I'm feeling it just fogs my brain, makes me feel all fuzzy and kinda stupid. Anything about that and daily long-term use? I took a week off recently, but it seemed to make no difference in my tolerance. (gonna go look at the tolerance thread now..)

Last edited by a moderator:
In principle, I would not smoke pot daily or even every other day. Why? 'Cause it ruins my sleep, and when I don't get quality sleep, I get depressed. But what can I say, delaying gratification is sometimes difficult, so I end up smoking more than I would like.
I used to only smoke once every week or two. The experience of getting high was very different - I was more 'high' than stoned, and the experience was much more fun and exciting and different. Now it's very familiar, and feels less pleasant than it used to.
Seems like you answered your own question, bro. Why don't you try to use it a little less often and see if that helps ya?

Many people say that marijuana is harmless for daily use. This is true but there are clearly side effects. Pretty much any drug will have side effects. Marijuana can have a side effect of depression, anxiety, insomnia among many other things. However smoking weed can also help with any of those conditions for some people. Kind of like how Zoloft can help or hurt a case of depression your body is the deciding factor.

I only ever get depressed after smoking if I think of something inherently sad, which would make me depressed normally. However, I too only smoke at nights, everyday -- only after I finish school/work -- and I feel similar feelings in regard to your insomnia. I wouldn't say I'm depressed though - I yearn to smoke, and it makes me depressed thinking about how I could've bought a luxury car with the money I spent on marijuana, or how I'm going to die sooner from the tobacco I add, but like I said, these are just inherently sad thoughts. I have a very happy personalty though, so rarely do I get depressed, even when high. I do want to quit however, but that's solely due to monetary concerns, the fact I sweat profusely if I haven't smoked (considering I don't smoke during the day), and a fear of cancer (like I said, I mix my weed with tobacco, but don't smoke cigs otherwise). It has nothing to do with how I feel mentally, which is normally zoned-out, content, and sleepy. Kinda how I want to feel after a long day before I go to sleep.

^hopefully something in cannabis can prevent damage from the small amount of tobacco, at least that's what i hope for as i do the same lol.

cannabis helps me to feel a lot better about everything, without it i don't have much of an appetite, have insomnia, even worse anxiety as well my dreams get too intense, vivid and scary. When i get high before bed i usually don't remember my dreams and for me that is incredibly helpful.

most of the daily smokers do not suffer from side effects like incredible paranoia and anxiety, i don't think many people would smoke daily if it made them feel that shitty. Once you have a bit of a tolerance most of the unwanted effects of smoking cannabis go away, at least from what i've seen.

There are not many medicines as well tolerated as cannabis, think of how many people smoke it daily around the world.

Have you ever thought maybe all you need is a piece of nug' the size of a matchhead, vaped' for mood elevation ? I equate a "high" from smoking Sativa & being "stoned" when smoking Indica....

^+1

I realized a while ago that all I really need to get anti-depressant effect is like a .1 smoked in a pipe and I have a big tolerance, been smoking for 10+ years.

ok, I know a thread has been done on this before, but as it's 5 years old, I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a new one. First off, weed and depression.

Ill let it run for a few till it gets merged into the correct mega thread, I understand why you think just because they are OP old dates means they have not been viewed in ages. It's fine, no worries.

Marijuana can have a side effect of depression, anxiety, insomnia among many other things. However smoking weed can also help with any of those conditions for some people.

yeah i think that's kind of the crux. marijuana can have any number of different effects depending on dosage, frequency, strain, lifestyle, etc etc etc

where depression is concerned, i wouldn't be surprised if long term use could cause true neuro-chemical changes, but i think the culprit in a lot of cases is lifestyle. for many people, heavy/daily use of weed can lead to things like physical inactivity, social withdrawal and missed opportunities. i think those things, mixed in with the sometimes very introspective nature of weed, can lead some people down a bad path psychologically.

Last edited:
Remember that cannabis magnifies any mental health issues,
If your already depressed and feeling worthless, it will probably magnify it and make you feel ten times worse.

If i have had a really productive day, then hit my vape i feel on top of the world.

If i have a bad day and hit it, chances are ill have not so good of a high and feel a bit down afterwards

I think the key point here is that cannabis isnt a causer, but a multiplier of whats already there.

Cannabis is the best antidepressant I have used. Whatever mood I am in it makes me say fuck it, and get no bad side effects. I cant stand running out tho it stops me sleeping.

If your already depressed and feeling worthless, it will probably magnify it and make you feel ten times worse.

If i have had a really productive day, then hit my vape i feel on top of the world.

If i have a bad day and hit it, chances are ill have not so good of a high and feel a bit down afterwards

I think the key point here is that cannabis isnt a causer, but a multiplier of whats already there.

this.

I agree with your point to an extent, but it is certainly not absolute. And it definitely goes against what I have personally experienced with depression and the use of cannabis.

For example, on many occasions, I have been in a hole for weeks, feeling utterly terrible, barely gaining a single shred of enjoyment or satisfaction out of anything whatsoever. One bong hit later and my depression is literally instantly relieved. I feel the exact opposite of depressed. It's a pretty bizarre experience really to go from one extreme to the other in such a short space of time. It literally feels like flicking a switch in my brain and completely changing my mental state.

Obviously it will vary tremendously based on all manner of factors involved, but that's my personal experience anyway.

Well i guess im kinda wrong yeah,
Weed is euphoric for me too like that,

Its one of its effects haha, But it dont always work out like that.

If you have the Blues, then it might cheer you up,
but if you have deep thoughts/ issues it might make you think about them more and extend that frown upon your face,

^+1

I realized a while ago that all I really need to get anti-depressant effect is like a .1 smoked in a pipe and I have a big tolerance, been smoking for 10+ years.

That's totally true. I realised that too a while ago, smoking a very small amount (less than .1 works for me) really lifts my mood and makes everything more enjoyable without feeling high or stoned. I also noticed the mood lift lasts for the whole day most of the times.

But depression isn't caused by weed itself, it's caused by what's hapenning in your life. Smoking weed is a temporary relief to depression, but in the end the only way to really fight against depression is to figure out what's wrong in your life and do something about it.

Definitely stick to the sativas if you are dealing with depression as they will give you that nice head high and still be able to function. Also like states before vaporizing is a great way to use mmj but all in all I would use the sativa during the day and the pure indicas when going to sleep. If you would like to know some of my favorite mood lifting strains just let me know I will gladly help you. Be wary when buying from some shops unless they are thoroughly tested and know exactly what strain it is. People miss label them constantly or re-name them. I have read an article once where a man purchased 3 different clones from 3 different parts of California and after growing them out a few times came to the realization they were all the SAME STRAIN!!! And what did he do? Use words from all 3 names and renamed it something stupid to containing all 3 names...I see this alot of times sadly.

I love weed. I don't depend on it but I don't like to go without. I suffer from depression from childhood problems. I'm naturally smart with a genius IQ. I smoke weed pretty much everyday. Some days I go without, and when this happens most the time I go on with my day just like any stonned day, some days I feel down in the dumps. Ive smoked weed off and on for two and straight thru the past two. I'm not gonna lie when I smoke everyday for a week or two I don't get as high as I normally would if I haven't smoked in some days. I believe this is because the high levels of THC in your body. THC sticks to fat cells. I am 6'3" weighing 160. I hardly have any fat so the THC leaves my body fairly quick. Also the potency of the bud you smoke matters and once again the frequency. I smoked dank ass bud for a couple months straight and I got super high almost every time. Then I remember I smoked a blunt of some reg and I didn't even get a buzz. That's why I usually stick to mids or reggie and only smoke dank every other week or so incase all I can find is some dirt ass weed I still want to at least catch a nice buzz. I will take a break for about a week or a couple days every once and a while if I find myself not getting as high as I like when should be.

i lean on weed it saves me i am in pain from muscle spasms and anxiety ridden it helps me be able to move and not scared of the world or should i say freeked the f out on people i have ptsd makes me happy and caring other wise i might make the news road rage ends in murder lol but yea i need weed to live i think .......pppppeace

I have been smoking weed daily for about 3-4 years probably.
For me, weed is a very nice way to treat depression.
I have never been super depressed, but whenever I am feeling down good ole' mary jane lifts my spirits.
Weed lets me not care about things as much and realize that it's not worth the trouble to worry about things.

Also, I saw some people say that weed ruins their sleep. Which seems very weird to me.
Unless I smoke right before going to bed, it doesn't interfere with my sleep any. In fact it probably helps me sleep better.
Nothing like getting super stoned, munching a ton of food, and then passing out.
But that's just like my opinion man. %)

Irregular use (low dose) works antidepressive, regular use (high dose) is making the exact opposite out of the experience. It depletes serotonin levels which causes the depressed feelings most people experience from time to time.
Best evidence: take your early times on thc! For me, they were trippy and unbelievable euphoric (surely not always), but this feelings are getting weaker and weaker the more (and often) you use the stuff.

Needless to say and as stated above, thc works also as an enhancer, so if your mood is good it'll be even better, if it's bad... i think you should get the idea.

I also don't think it's daily use that's making the experience "more bad", but the amount you consume.