• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Contaminated Cannabis

kij

Bluelighter
Theres a lot of confusion, at least for me concerning moldy/mildewy/insect/bug infested weed and i thought maybe it would be a good idea if we had a place with a bunch of close up/ far away picks of weed with "imperfections" so that people can learn to identify these things. ideally it would be in one place. i cant do this alone though, i dont know enough about it, dont have the pics, but there are plenty on the internet, and im willing to spend a good amount of time looking for pics so if somebody knows a lot about this stuff step up....

And of course we should remember that generally contaminants arent a big deal and the worst that generally happens is that somebody gets a respiratory infection. I dont like hearing the MOLDY WEED WILL KILL YOU crap. That has never happened and if it had we would have heard about it.

So I ask is this something people would like to do? i cant do it on my own.

Good idea.

Might want to consider a thread re-name and picture specifications, but this is a damn good idea for a thread.

thank you, i really appreciate that. what exactly do you mean by picture specifications? and what would you think a better name would be? maybe something like
Cannabis diseases Megathread (not the word diseases because that would be inaccurate but something "scientifically correct" maybe)?

i dont know, im excited about this, i need to slow down and try to think this through

Great idea for a harm reduction thread.

I'll have a look for the some Mouldy and Gravy bud pics from AusDD to put in this thread. The "glass additive" pics are in CD somewhere.

thank you, i really appreciate that. what exactly do you mean by picture specifications? and what would you think a better name would be? maybe something like
Cannabis diseases Megathread (not the word diseases because that would be inaccurate but something "scientifically correct" maybe)?

i dont know, im excited about this, i need to slow down and try to think this through

By picture specifications I mean some kind of pixel/quality specification. I don't know the lingo (ironic, lol) but I do know that camera phone pictures are going to make the greatest marijuana pictures look like dried out pieces of mildewy seaweed, whereas digital cameras and the like are going to make midgrade pictures look like some medicinal quality bud.

And by a title clarification I meant something along the lines of "[Mega] Adulterated Cannabis".... "Cannabis Imperfections" could be stretched to just mean bud that's not top-notch, but that's just my opinion, though. :)

yeah someone show me where the guy died from the moldy pot.

i want proof.

There's no one saying someone died from moldy pot, but I feel like I've read people getting at least sick from it --- smoking mold cannot be good for you one way or another. Would be a nice way to get all the common issues with pot all together somewhere...I tossed the idea out in our modthread, but honestly this seems like it may take someone to actually put a good deal of time into it so I dunno when that could happen.

^theres no one saying mold will kill you who has any credibility would be a better way of putting it. And yeah it would definitely be hard, but we could make it a long term project, or a really really long term project. I mean this info is hard to find and if it could ever be made i think that would be amazing. Maybe focusing on one particular thing at a time would be good. Maybe We'll start on the stuff that doesnt need somebody who knows everything? I guess starting with something like glass beads might be easy. Maybe it will never work out, but why not give it a shot? go as far as we can, at least the tread will exist so if somebody who can do this comes along they will have there work started out, i guess...
I dont know, im sure you would know better than me whether its a practical idea or not and whether its an endeavor worth expending our energy on since youve considered it yourself.

imagine a site that isnt like threads on other sites where they have zoomed up pics of "mold" that are clearly trichromes but they are convinced its mold. or do they look similar zoomed up? i dont even know.

And jibult i will try to figure out the picture specifications specification sometime soon, if possible. The main thing that would be standing in my way is knowing "whats good enough" i guess. Maybe i could get a camera and do some tests or something. Post the pictures and see what people who know what they are talking about think. I suppose it would be different depending on what you are looking for.

There's no one saying someone died from moldy pot, but I feel like I've read people getting at least sick from it --- smoking mold cannot be good for you one way or another. Would be a nice way to get all the common issues with pot all together somewhere...I tossed the idea out in our modthread, but honestly this seems like it may take someone to actually put a good deal of time into it so I dunno when that could happen.

i feel like i hear people go on and on how dangerous moldy weed can be. So i wanna see the case study.

i just had a crazy idea, why dont i get off my lazy ass and go to college and possibly grad school so that i can know enough to fucking do this thread haha. See you in 4-however many years plus four it takes to graduate grad school. I guess in a way that isnt funny, i could serously do it, i obviously have the interest.

But then again do you really have to go to school to learn? anyway back to the matter at hand.

Fine idea.

Mold:
<insert picture here>

"Grit":
<insert picture here>

Other than that, I can only think of shitty quality soapbar. With that said, google can easily bring you these pictures.

I remember when I was younger we use to get some straight dirt weed. The other day my homie picked up some nasty stuff too.

I'll try to help this thread out since I have a little experience in picking up shitty weed but I won't guarantee anything.

Although I'd love to see how far this thread goes.

i've found tiny black beetles shaped like rice ~1mm and tiny red worms ~1mm in my buds before.
Everything else was pretty legit.
Probably more helpful naming and shaming the guy who sells it to you (i kid).
Oh: don't buy brown, hard as fuck, peroxide tasting weed. It's bunk and does nothing but make your clothes smell like peroxide....

Whats grit and or gravy weed :-S ?

In Australia a large commercial source were pouring gravy powder over their semi dry buds to add weight. The end product would sparkle then turn to black ash and block up the cone. You'd still get stoned as it was killer bud to begin with.

The grit weed seemed to be UK specific and had some kind of glass beads added supposedly to add weight. Yerg is the one who knows a bit about that one.

Yes, the first wave of contaminated weed was cut with glass beads like the pic above. This not only added weight, but looked like trichomes, and made the weed look amazing. Later waves had finer grit that was harder to detect, and later still was bud dipped or sprayed with some kind of fatty substance, nasty. It was Western Europe in general rather than just the UK, and seems to have passed the peak of its abundance (thank God).

I think this should be the "Cannabis Contaminants Megathread". "Adulterants" is too specific; mould is not an adulterant, for example. I also think that pics of the ash would be as useful, if not more, as pics of the bud.

i must be the lucky one......here in van i have literally never had any issues with my ganj...........

Yes, the first wave of contaminated weed was cut with glass beads like the pic above. This not only added weight, but looked like trichomes, and made the weed look amazing. Later waves had finer grit that was harder to detect, and later still was bud dipped or sprayed with some kind of fatty substance, nasty. It was Western Europe in general rather than just the UK, and seems to have passed the peak of its abundance (thank God).

I think this should be the "Cannabis Contaminants Megathread". "Adulterants" is too specific; mould is not an adulterant, for example. I also think that pics of the ash would be as useful, if not more, as pics of the bud.

Thanks Yerg.

The Aussie dry season is about to hit here and we are all expecting the gravy and the sparkling weed to make a much unappreciated reappearance. The ash is fairly distinctive in that basically the whole cone turns into a solid black mass that needs to be cleaned EVERY cone.

I can't help with photos of the ash as I am a non smoker as a direct result of all of this.