MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

Be prepared to run every position of your company in the start, from advertising and networking, to financial planning and even the gritty hands on labor work or generally tedious work.

Keep overhead as low as possible for as long as possible. Expect long hours and little pay for a while, at least until you get ahead. Also plan to reinvest the bulk of your profits into your company, and the rest will likely go to living expenses if you even have enough. Hopefully you have some money saved, wouldn't plan on surviving on the revenue generated in the first 6 months.

I haven't gone out on my own yet but I have 2 close friends who have. One recently opened a smart phone repair shop and has been working so much he sleeps at the shop a few times a week. The other has been fabricating on his own for a little over a year now- maybe closer to 2 actually now that I think about it, but he has also been doing side work in which he built up the bulk of his clientele for over 5 years, really all of his adult life. He is moderately successful as far as finding work and generating a steady customer base but he is still reinvesting the bulk of his income on more tools and machines. He probably will be for the next 5 or more years but he can always liquidate so it wouldn't be a total loss were he to flop.

I agree to start slow and don't go too far into the red financially. Make sure you are building good relations with customers as well as other businesses. Competitors don't have to be enemies in all circumstances. best of luck!

Thanks for your answer. The whole process seems to be more work intensive than I initially thought. Also, I'm totally broke, no savings at all. Maybe some bank will front me if my business plan is tight, though they're much more cautious since the crash. We'll see, asking is fee.

At first I was thinking of a German rc-shop, then maybe a shop for bodybuilding supplements. but I'm open to suggestions.

A German RC shop? RC as in 'research chemical'?

And how are you going to acquire your merchandise?

From my perspective, there are only two options here:
1.) Purchase the merchandise at wholesale and sell at retail level. This is unpropitious, because the costs are high and the potential profits are low. You'd still turn a profit, but a product can only have a markup low enough to attract consumers but not so high as to repel them. So, what? You may get away with a 25% markup, but the profit is a meager 25¢ per $1 spent.

2.) If you have skills in organic chemistry and chemical synthesis, then you could eliminate the middle man (disintermediation) from the supply chain by manufacturing your own merchandise. Of course, the overhead is high in this case, too. But the expenses per annum will decrease as your lab is stocked and the profit is 100%. You could also afford to lower your prices below the competition, thus attracting a larger comsumer base.

A third option might be to hire a chemist (self-taught or otherwise). He'd want payment for his services, but it wouldn't be anywhere close to what you have to pay a wholesaler.

That might be a difficult market to break into with out a decent lump of money as start of capital. Good points made by Nom, like he mentions you will likely see 10-20% profit margin on something like that, although it will depend greatly on your source, clients, and negotiating skills.

Retail tends to have a large overhead if you plan on opening a store front. There will probably be a lot of legal stuff you will need to know, probably some legal hoops you need to jump through if you plan on selling it off the shelves. Even more if you plan to synthesize it yourself, and if you plan on going that route plan for astronomical start up cost and potential for huge risks as your synthesis might not go right and could be a total loss. With those considered it would likely be economical to hire a chemist as a consultant or find a chemist who is looking to partner. Of course, you must have something to offer in partnership like start up capital or industry connections to suppliers and distributors. Also industry knowledge of price and quality will be essential as well.

Supplements for bodybuilding seem a bit safer as far as legal ramifications and you will probably be more likely to find an investor, but I don't know if it will come in the form of a rich business man. Most investors like that will need some sort of promise or guarantee that they will not lose money as well as make money by investing, or giving you money to play with essentially.

I would think you are going to have to take on the initial risk in order to prove to potential investors that you not only are serious and dedicated but have the business sense about you to make it in the market world. This would be things like saving your own start up money, getting your business license and wholesalers license and probably even proving on paper that you can turn profit off of your idea.

Good luck

Consider moving your education on top of your CV. If you're young/fresh out of university, this might even be expected. Consider putting projects/non profit experience at the top.

But first of all: tailor your CV - if it is not strong and you're applying for a job in a specific field, try to understand what will make you desirable. Then highlight it, or put it first.

Following alasdair (2015) I will link my CV to show a point:
NSFW:

28sx1cw.jpg

this is a template found on the net, slightly adapted. On the left column I put my address and the skills I deem important for the job I'm applying for. In this case I've been suggested to stress my linguistic competences, and I wanted to put my programming skills in evidence as well (although I am not a programmer). So whoever reads the CV will immediately notice those two things, which are actually described more in detail in the right column.

I see a CV as a comprehensive account of one's qualifications, career history, and anything else, including volunteer work.

A resume is more concise and is best kept short, as suggested by ali.

You can use linkedin, and there are several converters on the internet which will turn the webpage into either a pdf or word document.

Question about Jobs

Hello to all of you I have a question every time I go for a job interview I get rejected i don't use drugs for two years now but any tips what I can do and what are the best factory companies that I can apply for jobs I live in NYC sorry for taking your time thanks

Last edited:
What kind of questions are they asking you that you have a hard time answering? Or don't feel like you have "good responses" to?

Thanks for your reply is that every time I go for a job interview the ower of the company or the manager keep tall me I will review your resume if I consider your application and I will call you for the next step the questions he ask is were you work before and what is the reason you leave the company but now I'm starting to think that maybe I am doing something wrong because I answer every question they ask, but anyway I really need a job now to paid for my school thanks for reply

Do you have experience? What jobs have you been applying to? How are you dressed? Does your resume look professional?

At the moment any kind of job most of them are factories or big werehouses or drivers I always dressed ok do you any place where I can pay to get a job? because I need to pay my school thanks for your replys.

Thanks again for the reply I will. I don't konw what they look for it to hire a employe honestly because it should be no problem but I don't konw. Oh I assume u are a girl so I want to ask you why when a men ask in train to a girl for the time immediately the girl think he's trying to get a relationship with her .. is wird that girls think like that because we men sometimes need advice from a girl. Sometimes a female friend is better than male.

Last edited:
If you're writing your emails/cover letter/resume in any way similar to your forum posts, it's a problem.

Yea I'm not a expert on typing or spelling. All because this awful drug mdma otherwise I will pay more attention.

Yea I'm not a expert on typing or spelling. All because this awful drug mdma otherwise I will pay more attention.

That can be solved with spell check + internet. I actually recently sent off an application where i put "replay" instead of "reply" and still got a call back lol, i like to believe most people understand one silly mistake as we are all human. But yeah definitely need to proof read that shit because we all make stupid mistakes and if its really bad it can make you memorable in the wrong way.

If you dont have any good references you may want to work somewhere basic for a few months like a grocery store or something people like work history but also progression it says a lot to show a forward progression. So like grocery store for 6 months start applying somewhere a little better and you even get to say "i have big plans in my life and i need a job to fulfill goals, i started small because i needed a job but now i have come to realize i need something better then where i am" Sounds better if the place you are applying for is a bit less then basic. Just a thought :)