• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Making hash/kief/cannabis extracts

Putting the alcohol and weed into a jar with a lid instead of a saucer would be better. Shake the jar everyday and wait a few weeks, most people recommend 3 weeks. Then strain out the weed with a cloth and evaporate the alcohol.

hash making situation

so far i have been soaking stems seeds and some weed in 91% rubbing alcohol, and this monday i want to actually make the hash. what are the best steps for me to do to end up with hash.
i'd really appreciate any help. thanks

First of all, you'd really be making some very nice hash oil, but not hash. Hashish is the collected and pressed trichomes of the cannabis plant.

Anyway, how long have you soaked them? You might want to heat the mixture very gently to get all the stuff out of there, especially if it hasn't been soaking long.

Now, once you are satisfied that most of the THC has been diluted in the alcohol, all you need to do is evaporate it (well). A good approach to this is placing the liquid in a pyrex dish - anything with a large enough surface area to make sure that the layer of liquid is very very thin, so it evaporates quicker.

Then you can leave it out by the window on a sunny day, use a heatlamp, or a variety of other methods to speed up the proces. You will be left with a sticky black substance that gets you very messed up =D

--- G.

I'm then assuming that you then just smoke this sticky black substance or coat a bit of bud with it?

Yep. Vaporizing it is best, with a glass bulb, a knife a needle, etc. You can put it on your buds and smoke it that way. Spread the goo out on your rolling paper, works like a charm. Just be creative. :)

sounds good! Just wondering, would it be too damp to try the hot knifes method?

I wouldn't eat it unless you are very very confident of your evaporation technique. The thing is, rubbing alcohol is poisonous to ingest, but I'm not sure if trace amounts would be enough to cause problems...

If I were you I'd gently vaporize it somehow, as Blowmonkey suggested - you'll get very ripped =D

--- G.

For a bit of advice -- Next time, do yourself a favor and don't use any seeds, hemp seeds contain their own oils and fats and contain no large amounts of THC if any at all.

One would usually take all saved stems, put them through a coffee grinder ($10) and soak the stem powder in denatured alcohol, which is pretty close to isopropyl, but a little more effective (you can't use too much, just cover the stem matter generously). Soak for about 24 hours, strain the mush through a nylon sock or cheesecloth, then do the same thing again, but let it soak for 2 to 3 days before straining again. Strain all liquid into container.

Another alternative to solvent would be acetone, as I would suspect would work quite well, as it evaprates quickly and cleanly if you buy straight acetone. Many online shaman shops use mainly acetone for their extractions. But I am not sure how acetone would react with nylon, you should better research that first.

Anyways, like said before, let your fractions of liquid that you have collected evaporate in a shallow glass or pyrex dish, when all solvent is gone, scrape up your black resin looking goo.

One might usually sprinkle a little bit of herb into the mix before all the solvent is gone, to give the goo something to absorb into. Also makes removal of the goo alot easier. This has been tested in the field and proven to be alot less messy and more pleasurable, as you aren't trying to find a way to smoke goo.

IMO - The BEST way to extract THC is the ol butane and PVC pipe trick, if you haven't heard of this one, look it up, it makes "honey hash" almost pure THC oil. VERY VERY effective - gets most people totally ripped in a couple (2) hits.

BTW, badfish420 could extract his already extracted alcohol-resin mixture using smaller container. You'll end up with much less oil, but it can be said that anything which isn't extracted isn't worth smoking anyway.

Another note: As Juggalotus explained, the levels of THC in stalks and seed is very low, even compared to head leaf. As also mentioned, another problem surfaces when extracting from seed. Besides the unwanted chlorophyll you'll get, isopropanol will also extract nasty oils and resins which make the the taste rather terrible.

A butane extraction should leave many of these behind, and so turn your yuck into a small amount of very tasty Yum :)

Juggalotus said:
One would usually take all saved stems, put them through a coffee grinder ($10) and soak the stem powder in denatured alcohol, which is pretty close to isopropyl, but a little more effective (you can't use too much, just cover the stem matter generously). Soak for about 24 hours, strain the mush through a nylon sock or cheesecloth, then do the same thing again, but let it soak for 2 to 3 days before straining again. Strain all liquid into container.

Anyways, like said before, let your fractions of liquid that you have collected evaporate in a shallow glass or pyrex dish, when all solvent is gone, scrape up your black resin looking goo.

One might usually sprinkle a little bit of herb into the mix before all the solvent is gone, to give the goo something to absorb into. Also makes removal of the goo alot easier. This has been tested in the field and proven to be alot less messy and more pleasurable, as you aren't trying to find a way to smoke goo.

IMO - The BEST way to extract THC is the ol butane and PVC pipe trick, if you haven't heard of this one, look it up, it makes "honey hash" almost pure THC oil. VERY VERY effective - gets most people totally ripped in a couple (2) hits.

/raises hand.... i'm confused.

in this post, juggalotus says to strain all liquid into a container. then says that the liquid that has collected needs to evaporate. which is it and what product are we talking about?

i'm new to this. i understand the physical substance differences between hash and oil, and i can see that if the little liquid leftover evaporates you get your "goo". but does that mean if you save the liquid collected from the initial strainings, that that's your oil??

sorry for sounding so stupid, but i'm interested in doing this and want to make sure i understand correctly.

^^ Okay, you have your alcohol and you have your plant matter. Let it soak in the alcohol and if it's done, strain the plant matter out with a silk cloth or something similar. You can soak the plant matter twice to get every active stuff out of there.

The alcohol extraction is the stuff you're after, if that's done evaporating, you have your hash oil. The "goo" is the hash oil.. :)

And people, there's already a whole thread about making hash oil somewhere, please search for it.

ah, like i said.....sorry for sounding so stupid. after i've re-read the posts about 50x, they make more sense. thanks for the patience regardless...

Yes, leaving a open container of almost pure alcohol in a room will smell. Rather strongly in fact.

Evaporate the stuff in a well ventilated area, forgot to add. Really important.

another hash oil question..

is the oil soluble in water or anything else? say i made about 10 ml of hash oil, what could i dissolve it in, evenly, that would be smokable? would i be able to dissolve the 10ml of oil into 100ml of water, then divide the water up into 10ml doses and just heat the water til it bubbles, then inhale the fumes.

does this make sense to anyone at all?

oil doesnt dissolve in water, and water isnt smokable ;)

i cant think of anything i'd like to add to it.. perhaps some finely ground pot would be good just to make it more manageable but why do you want to dissolve it?