• Current Events, Politics & Science
    Welcome Guest
    Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • Current Events & Politics Moderators: Nurse Ratched | Cheshire_Kat

US Events Mega millions jackpot 1.1 billion $

Mr. Krinkle

Bluelighter
If I'm going to beat the odds of being struck by lightning, then It's cool if that time is me getting struck by $1.3B

you have better odds of getting struck by lightning AND getting hit by a bus at the same time (true story)

i don't bother with those lotteries - i only play the state lotto (pick 6) that starts out a million and keeps going up from there - at least there's a slight chance to win that

:shrug:

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member

Las Veghost grower

Bluelighter

I wonder if this is based off something similar to card counting.. as the lottery even counts the cards for you?
That’s crazy, my first guess was just playing the odds and buying a shitload of tickets, but as the article mentioned is it a net gain or loss with that strategy, but I guess they could have spent 200k and hit the milli just being lucky

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
That’s crazy, my first guess was just playing the odds and buying a shitload of tickets, but as the article mentioned is it a net gain or loss with that strategy, but I guess they could have spent 200k and hit the milli just being lucky
You have all this data available. so they must have just crunched it to determine when playing is in their favor. Just like counting cards.. its gambling, but only when the metmatical odds favor you.

Cream Gravy?

Sr. Moderator: F&TV, PD
Staff member
I worked at a corner store for a few months. It's kinda sickening watching peoples' habits. A lot of older people would buy $200 of tickets several days a week, scrath them off then and there telling me about how they're about to win and give me $1k for my trouble. Some guys would come in and buy scratchers and a six pack so often I'd remind them on their way out, "Wait, don't you need your scratch off?" And they'd literally ALWAYS be like, "Oh yeah! Thanks! What number is on the back of that one there? Oh, 62? Sweet, I'll be rich tomorrow, bring you a $100 tip." Yeah... you'll be rich tomorrow...

It was so easy to gull them into buying more. Every. Single... Day. I would feel shitty for goading them on, but... I honestly just think you're a dipshit if you're that easy to con into buying scratchers, so I just laughed it off. The older folks, they're probably rich already and retired and bored, so why not blow it. But people in their 20s-40s? I'm like.... c'mon man, you outa know better.

CFC

Moderator: CE&P, TL, TD
Staff member
I worked at a corner store for a few months. It's kinda sickening watching peoples' habits. A lot of older people would buy $200 of tickets several days a week, scrath them off then and there telling me about how they're about to win and give me $1k for my trouble. Some guys would come in and buy scratchers and a six pack so often I'd remind them on their way out, "Wait, don't you need your scratch off?" And they'd literally ALWAYS be like, "Oh yeah! Thanks! What number is on the back of that one there? Oh, 62? Sweet, I'll be rich tomorrow, bring you a $100 tip." Yeah... you'll be rich tomorrow...

It was so easy to gull them into buying more. Every. Single... Day. I would feel shitty for goading them on, but... I honestly just think you're a dipshit if you're that easy to con into buying scratchers, so I just laughed it off. The older folks, they're probably rich already and retired and bored, so why not blow it. But people in their 20s-40s? I'm like.... c'mon man, you outa know better.

A lot of desperately poor people spend a disproportionate amount of money on lotteries. They often see it as the only way out of their dire situation, which tells you how messed up society is.

That's the cool trick with lotteries: because they appear to offer hope of salvation and the opportunity to join the ranks of the 1%, the 99% are more prepared to tolerate extreme inequality, poverty and terrible living conditions in society for the (frankly implausible) hope of winning BIGLY.

Cream Gravy?

Sr. Moderator: F&TV, PD
Staff member
A lot of desperately poor people spend a disproportionate amount of money on lotteries. They often see it as the only way out of their dire situation, which tells you how messed up society is.

That's the cool trick with lotteries: because they appear to offer hope of salvation and the opportunity to join the ranks of the 1%, the 99% are more prepared to tolerate extreme inequality, poverty and terrible living conditions in society for the (frankly implausible) hope of winning BIGLY.
Yeah the lottery is fucked. I guess I just don’t understand how people can buy into the dream so easily though.

Reactions: CFC

Snafu in the Void

Sr. Moderator: BDD, NMI, DC
Staff member
Come on then, fess up. Which one of you won it?? 🧐
Apparently someone from Illinois

1.337 billion dollars *hacker music plays*

l33t win

• Fire
Reactions: CFC

Electrum1

Bluelighter
What if the lottery exists to catch time travelers?

FZPxrgMVsAAJc2A