• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Strain Discussion - 4th Edition - In your Blue Dreams

My personal favorite marijuana high is Blue Cheese.

I strongly agree. I just smoked this for the first time. My fist hit out of the gravity bong I immediately got a headrush and lost all sense of balance. I fell from a sitting position :D

@Topnotch. One of the more mind bending ones I have had was a pure swazi sativa. Not a name brand strain though but I'm sure theres lots of African ones that have similar characteristics. I don't enjoy that kind of thing anymore so I don't seek it out. Apparently there are some Thai strains that do it as well but not the stuff I've tried.

topnotch- Any landrace sativa. Lot's of modern genetics moved away from the pure sativa structure. The market focuses mostly around indica and indica dom hybrids for a number of reasons. Resulting in farmers (mostly far northern california) only growing what people want.

Other than landrace sativa's, you can try some of TGA's strains. Such as jillybean, third dimension, agent O, etc. Lot's of his jack the ripper and jack cleaner based strains are very heady and "trippy". You can also go for any legit haze variation. Liberty haze from barneys farm is a good smoke.

Lot's of modern genetics moved away from the pure sativa structure. The market focuses mostly around indica and indica dom hybrids for a number of reasons. Resulting in farmers (mostly far northern california) only growing what people want.

The thing with landrace sativas isn't that there's no market for them because there sure is. It's just that as far as I know, they're pretty painful to grow requiring much more time and effort for lesser yields compared to something that was bred for high potency, short flowering and great yields. Even the aesthetics matter quite a bit when dealing with dispensaries, saw some documentary about the California medical scene where they were checking the nuggets thoroughly with a microscope as to whether to take them in for sale or not. With landrace genetics you most likely won't get the prettiest looking buds so I would imagine it's a pain to get a dispensary to accept such a product, especially if one were to ask for a higher price than what's paid for the bestsellers (to even make it worthwhile for the grower). It's a pity I would say, but that's the world we live in right now.

^Some landrace indicas look pretty fucking sweet though. Bag appeal to the max. No doubt that an ugly looking african or other land race sativa would blow them out of the water for strength of effect though. Have you seen that dr grinspoon strain? Ugly as fuck but apparently ultra potent.

200 Kenyan Shillings is about $2 that those farmers earn per cob. That's a pittance really. That wouldn't even buy 1 litre of fuel in Malawi. Those guys really get the raw end of the deal.

One of the fisherman there was telling me they use the same boats to take the weed over that they use to return with illegal immigrants from the north. Just another commodity.

I was struck just by how 'normal' those farmers look. Hardly the drug dealing gangsters that people probably imagine them to be. Like they said, all they are doing is trying to get by.

What I wouldn't give for one of those 'stones' of malawi.

If you look carefully the stone they opened up was full of some kind of mould. I noticed that a bit in Africa. They sometimes arent able to dry and cure it properly and its just so humid there anyway that there are often spores and stuff in the weed.

I think weed is considered pretty normal by most people in Malawi: just another cash crop. Except the police and politicians they confiscate quite a bit each year. Its such a poor country the farmers grow what ever they can. A lot of people smoke though- the fishermen, the soldiers, the farmers, the workers. Considering its about the same price for a beer as it is for a whole cob.

Is it not risky if you get caught over there though? I'd hate to get put in a third world prison as a foreigner but I'd love to go over there on holiday to try it out.

If the police thought they could get something out of you financially you could have some problems- until you pay up that is. There is an unofficial ganja tourism scene. You can get people to take you to the farms, people to make you space cake what ever you want as long as you can pay. When I went to the farm my "guide" was the most conspicuous looking rasta guy around, the taxi driver had an Ali G style sound system and I was a bit worried. The police stopped us on the way out of town gave us a knowing look and said "you're going to the ganja farms right?" followed by laughter and we were waved through the road block. I usually make a rule to never carry anything on me and given the cheap prices there is no reason to take that risk smoke what you can in your accommodation and give the excess away when its time to move on.

I recommend it 100%. Malawians are some of the friendliest people on earth. The country and lake are beautiful and apart from the cost to get there it is relatively inexpensive. Only trouble we had was transport inside the country they were in the midst of a fuel crisis so hire cars were not viable and local buses would not travel unless at 110% capacity- which sometimes took all day to achieve. I hear the situation has improved a lot since then though. If you go pm me I will give you some pointers.

The thing with landrace sativas isn't that there's no market for them because there sure is. It's just that as far as I know, they're pretty painful to grow requiring much more time and effort for lesser yields compared to something that was bred for high potency, short flowering and great yields. Even the aesthetics matter quite a bit when dealing with dispensaries, saw some documentary about the California medical scene where they were checking the nuggets thoroughly with a microscope as to whether to take them in for sale or not. With landrace genetics you most likely won't get the prettiest looking buds so I would imagine it's a pain to get a dispensary to accept such a product, especially if one were to ask for a higher price than what's paid for the bestsellers (to even make it worthwhile for the grower). It's a pity I would say, but that's the world we live in right now.
I am sharing my first hand experience from living and growing in the emerald triangle. The farmers here grow what people buy and honestly people would skip over a sativa dom. due to bag appeal. They look great in my opinion although, tend to be lighter and stringy like buds. People like solid, dense buds for the most part.

There are people who like sativa's. But, in general the market favors indica and more even hybrids. It's just the bag appeal even more then the effect of sativa vs. indica. Though lot's of non tolerant smokers get turned off from smoking due to "bugging out" from a quality sativa. That is another reason.

As for the california medical scene. I am heavily involved and their are plenty of dispensaries that will take the landrace sativa if grown right. I spent a lot of time working in a collective. There are certainly people who come in looking for a very in your head sativa. So a collective would want to stock a few great sativas. But, it will sit on the shelf much, much longer then other strains. The aesthetics only matter to some collectives. If it was properly grown then they will take it. Some strains are uglier than others.

I like the chill antidepressant effect blue dreams gives someone. Its very nice and smells like incense after its burnt IMHO sometimes. Depends on the harvest I guess.
2lbs+ / plant. You can make pretty good trees with her. Im running some of DJ Shorts Azure Haze. Supposed to be related to BDH's parental line. My friend and I have run bdh for at least 6 years now.

On the origin of Haze; I like the brotherhood of eternal love story.

DJs Blueberry (from Oregon) x Mystery Haze (please post if you know)

other crosses with prized haze males;
Nevilles Haze
Tom Hill's Old Timers Haze
Think Arjan has one too

Search Brothers Grimm, Skunk man Sam

Anybody else had Cotton Candy? it's a stimulating strain thats delightfully cerebral, but it's supposedly an indica-dominant which surprises me.

Just got my hands on some stuff called blue cheese! and it is OH SO GOOD! haha
(took this picture using the olio clip macro lens for iPhone 5)
NSFW:
IMG_2963_zps2fd4626a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Anybody else had Cotton Candy? it's a stimulating strain thats delightfully cerebral, but it's supposedly an indica-dominant which surprises me.

Sure have, Cotton Candy is delicious and yes, it does feel like a strong sativa with the intense, cerebral high. My buddy used to grow it, equivalent to the quality of medicinal. Trimmed and cured to perfection. Everybody in the area loved it, popular in two cities from my one dude hah. I recently found out it was him and he recently had to quit. Unfortunate... it's a great strain.

I got reminded of how much I love Cheese and how fucking intense and stoning it is. It's almost like Cotton Candy in the sense that it's indica dominant, but it's rushing and cerebral. Definite pain relief, thankfully. From MI MMJ, props to whoever grew and cured these godly nugs.

Last edited: