• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone And Alcohol

Ohmangodam

Greenlighter
Okay so I've read a lot about mixing these two being deadly. And I've been on methadone maintenance for a few months now and it's saved me. One thing that bothers me is the idea of never being able to drink because of this though. They were just curious like...would two or three nips later in the day or at night really be that dangerous. Or is it just the idea of drinking heavily while on methadone being dangerous. It'd be nice to me to be able to stop at the packy and buy 2 or 3 nips to get just a little uplifting feeling on a Friday or Saturday night you know. But if it's as dangerous as they say Then I really don't want to be risking it. Anybody have any feedback on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all which is why I ask. And wasn't sure if the "swim rule" was required but it doesn't seem like it is so sorry about that haha like I said it'd be cool to be able to have a nip here and there but not if it's risky you know

we dont SWIM here
i would say no dont risk it as both are CNS depressants very easy to pass out and have trouble breathing which in some cases the combo will make you stop breathing altogether
alcohol induces the liver enzyme CYP450 which plays a roll in breaking down the done, it will be eliminated quicker so you will prob feel sick if you've been on done for awhile

Alcohol can cause long acting opioid medication to be released rapidly. So if its er, I would definitely avoid it. As someone touched on earlier, alcohol and methadone aree metabolized by the same enzyme, so sometimes a dose that is supposed to last 24 hours, could be metabolized faster, and last the user a fraction of that time. Methadone affects the part of the brain that controls breathing while asleep, so does alcohol, so when combined, these effects are exacerbated, so if you do drink, make sure you stay awake! Ultimately I think you probably can get away with taking a few nips, but know the above cautions, and don't over do it!

Here's a thread that discusses the topic: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/520080-Drinking-alcohol-while-on-Methadone

- Hopeless Soul

I actually read that thread before registering and it made me not want to chance it. But you think a nip or two would be okay if that's all I kept it at when I did drink..if I even decided to.

I actually read that thread before registering and it made me not want to chance it. But you think a nip or two would be okay if that's all I kept it at when I did drink..if I even decided to.
I claim you won't be able to feel these nips. You can try and see for your self, so you'll know. I actually never tried Methadon, but I did tried several other opiates and opioids, and I never felt alcoho, not even a bit. And remember with every single glass or even drop, chances for side effects (dangerous ones) are higher and higher.

I stand corrected.
OP take your nips if you must. You have been warned the chances of someone finding you dead are substantial.

Last edited:
Lol my dude you are talking to me like I'm s little kid. I'm asking for opinions I don't need a lecture or to try n be scared. I simply wanted to know what people thought lol

Lol my dude you are talking to me like I'm s little kid. I'm asking for opinions I don't need a lecture or to try n be scared. I simply wanted to know what people thought lol

well this is a HR site we're not here to justify you or anyone else how stay safe while getting fucked up which obviously, is your intention as alcohol in no way shape or form consider a medicine to treat anything
a lot of people shine in because of personal exp or has some knowledge of what could or cant happen
no need to get salty
you can either A. take our advice or B. completely ignore us which....i find a total waste of time not only for you but for the people who responded, i mean no one had to take time out of their day to respond to you...i certainly didnt have to, but i did because i for one am here to help someone if i can

you can keep going back and forth but seriously you know yourself and your limits...well i would hope so
mixing done and booze isnt something to take lightly IMO to many risk's involved for a high that might not even be worth it

I'm not trying to treat you as kid. My apologies.

One thing that bothers me though, you are asking a question that you already know the answer to. You have made that clear. Yes, I can see that you are seeking opinion and everyone here has given it to ya. Concerns have been expressed and your still not listening. So please, sit down.

You guys are kinda funny lol. I've been focused on my sobriety and been doing great so treating me like I'm some kind of fool for asking what I asked is ridiculous. I just asked a very simple question n I think people are getting offended that I wanted to know if a few nips would hurt me or not. I obviously came to the wrong forum bunch of ignorant pricks is what I see. You can say you're trying to help all you want but you're doing it in a cocky way. So I'm going to respond cocky right back

You guys are kinda funny lol. I've been focused on my sobriety and been doing great so treating me like I'm some kind of fool for asking what I asked is ridiculous. I just asked a very simple question n I think people are getting offended that I wanted to know if a few nips would hurt me or not. I obviously came to the wrong forum bunch of ignorant pricks is what I see. You can say you're trying to help all you want but you're doing it in a cocky way. So I'm going to respond cocky right back

ok then give it a go and drink while on methadone
we advised you not to, and you keep insisting
so really whats the issue here? looks like you are getting offended because we are telling you the truth and not justifying that'll be ok for you to drink
if you dont like the forum then you can find another one...no one is holding you here against your will
i can bet money that anywhere else you go, people are gonna tell you the same thing

I'm not at all looking for people to say it's okay. I asked for opinions. I am happy with them aside from the ignorance. Just hate rude people with attitudes. You're on a dam drug forum people are gonna ask things like this. I'm not gonna drink at all and haven't based on research. The reason I came here to get opinions were to see if people on methadone have a different opinion or if they'd say maybe as long as you are not drinking to get fucked up then it'd be okay. That was what I was looking for. Not a bunch of clowns accusing me of wanting to kill myself and have my family find me dead. Like what kind of ignorant shit is that to say?

I'm the most humble grateful person you'd ever talk to but I'm not gonna kiss your ass if you're treating me like an idiot. How you can not see where I'm coming from is beyond me but I don't need to be talked to like that. "Want your family to find you dead then go ahead drink." That's the type of feedback that is disgusting. I just graduated from IOP last night and people that came to know me there had nothing but great things to say about me and also maybe I'm used to that positive feedback from being in group and talking about drug issues. Idk. After all this is the fuckin Internet. Bunch of flakes. Not everyone but a lot of em. I thought maybe on a drug forum people involved in sobriety wouldn't be as ignorant you know. But nothing I can do. It's over with Me making a big deal about it is just as pathetic really. So I'm all done. You guys enjoy your weekend

I'm the most humble grateful person you'd ever talk to but I'm not gonna kiss your ass if you're treating me like an idiot. How you can not see where I'm coming from is beyond me but I don't need to be talked to like that. "Want your family to find you dead then go ahead drink." That's the type of feedback that is disgusting. I just graduated from IOP last night and people that came to know me there had nothing but great things to say about me and also maybe I'm used to that positive feedback from being in group and talking about drug issues. Idk. After all this is the fuckin Internet. Bunch of flakes. Not everyone but a lot of em. I thought maybe on a drug forum people involved in sobriety wouldn't be as ignorant you know. But nothing I can do. It's over with Me making a big deal about it is just as pathetic really. So I'm all done. You guys enjoy your weekend

i for one didnt say shit about involving family or this and that and i dont condone people talking shit but you being found passed out or even worse is a def possibility
and in all honesty we dont know you only you do meaning
someone can say yeah i drink all the time and be ok drinking so much
but if someone else takes/drinks the same amounts of both done and booze it can turn into something completely different
so in the end if you wanna drink by all means i mean you wont know until you try it for yourself
if you want a simple answer drink a nip and see how you do and add in another until one you feel satisfied
if that was me i would atleast tell someone so they could check up on me from time to time
but really brother if you think its worth the risk then by all means IMO it wouldnt for me

I do feel bad now. And apologize to everyone including the OP. He seems sincere about turning his life in the right direction. OP I just wanted for you to understand what can happen and would not wish that scenario on you nor your love ones. I got a little pissed and have been that way for quite some time now. Nothing personal OP and again I'm sorry everyone.

I do feel bad now. And apologize to everyone including the OP. He seems sincere about turning his life in the right direction. OP I just wanted for you to understand what can happen and would not wish that scenario on you nor your love ones. I got a little pissed and have been that way for quite some time now. Nothing personal OP and again I'm sorry everyone.

life happens brother no one is perfect i get pissed off also about things and where i am in life as far as anxiety but i cant blame my personal issues on anyone here
you were a little harsh to the OP but glad to see you manned up and admitted your wrong...that says a lot about a person
from my point of view we are all here for the same reason to give/get advice on how to stay safe

im sure we can all agree on that

I'm the most humble grateful person you'd ever talk to but I'm not gonna kiss your ass if you're treating me like an idiot. How you can not see where I'm coming from is beyond me but I don't need to be talked to like that. "Want your family to find you dead then go ahead drink." That's the type of feedback that is disgusting.
How is it disgusting? You were asking for other's opinions and got some straight advice, albeit a bit harsh. They were not being ignorant either. Disclaimer: You may find my opinion "disgusting". My brother-in-law found my sister dead on the floor from mixing alcohol with CNS depressants. This is not the only person I've known who has passed away in this manner.

Life is not all sunshine and rainbows, especially in the drug world. The possibility of an overdose is real so please take this seriously. Deos is right, keep in mind we are a harm reduction forum. It's unrealistic to expect us to tell you it's ok to have "a few nips" with your methadone. It's not too fair calling people clowns, pathetic, ignorant and disgusting (quoting your words) when they don't tell you what you want to hear.