• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Methylated Spirits consumption

een

Greenlighter
hello,

i was wondering if anyone had any advice for harm minimization of the consumption of diluted methylated spirits. [h=1][/h]obviously the best advice is don't but was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips or resources to share.

Are you crazy or stupid? No one is going to help you and imagine this get shutdown, its like asking whats the best to stab myself in the head with a browie knife.

I really hope this is a troll post...If you are LUCKY you will just go blind.

Last edited:
No - Just, no

You can't minimize the harm, and it isn't even, ah forget it

You can't drink methanol, you have access to net, find a little grain alcohol (?)

So, Pleiades no one even consider this remotely; Of course,

Closed

Re-Opened for further discussion..

It's difficult to reduce the harm of something designed to inflict it and can be ineffective especially when weighing the benefits vs the risk. Methylated spirits usually contain Aldehyde, Pyridine, isopropyl alcohol, acetone , methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone and the incredibly bitter denatonium, all of which which are nasty substances and some are carcinogenic. It's disturbing that things like that are added to denature alcohol along with Methanol which can cause blindness, organ failure, death... but they didn't choose those substances to lightly reduce consumption but to dissuade as many as possible.

Sadly M-Spirits or Denatured Alcohol in the states are resold and flavored to make it slightly palatable but there are many reports of people that have been hospitalized, receiving gastric lavages and even some cases of cancer or blindness that have arisen and the cause attributed to denaturing agents. I really don't have anything to reduce the harm of these agents aside from abstinence or sourcing EtOH fit for consumption.

The methanol is toxic enough that New Zealand removed it from their denatured alcohol so as to reduce the chance or dermal contact or accidental ingestion. They replaced it with some very foul substances instead that would be incredibly difficult to try and ingest such as Denatonium, which is the most bitter substance known to man. Methyl Ethyl Ketone is a solvent for welding plastics together and has the ability to enhance the neurotoxicity of other solvents. Methyl isobutyl ketone is used as a solvent for paints, varnishes & lacquers.

New Zealand's formula is: Ethanol
Water
Methyl isobutyl ketone
Denatonium benzoate
Fluorescein
Methyl violet 10B