View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Drying

bikki_muncher69

Bluelighter
Hey so about a week ago I got a nice collection of 40+ subs from the victorian eastern area turned a very nice blue colour ate 3 big ones and i couldent speak and met all kinds of beings but besides the point. A week ago they were looking tasty as so I layed them on newspaper in one of my empty clothes draw and they slowley have gone brown as they dried I guess, like a really really dirty brown colour, now my mate really wants them so i thought ok ill do an oven dry so I stuck them in the oven at the lowest temp possible which is about 35c and its a fan oven.

When I smelled they smelt like the dirtyest thing ever. Like if you have ever owned a female dog and it has been on heat well its that smell so is that normal? lol coz I smelt it and nearly power spewed. so should i let them dry powder them and the psilopsyben should sill be active? or have my mushys gone bad and if my mate eats them he is most likely to turn into somthing not nice.

advice please

A week since they were picked? Mushrooms start to rot as soon as they are picked, and should have been dried immediately.

You should have put them in a paper bag to dry immediatley after you got home with them. No need to get an oven involved in the drying process.

Don't use plastic. Get a big bowl, put some quickdry (damp rid etc) in the bottom, put some cardboard (or a screen) in the bowl (preferably not touching the quickdry), put the shrooms on top and put a small fan towards the bowl.

Something like this:
DRY-3.GIF

http://www.shroomery.org/5265/What-are-the-different-ways-to-dry-mushrooms

Although I don't have a proper screen so have used cardboard which has worked well. Just make sure they are FULLY dried before storing them, and I believe its a good practice to put a desiccant in with them. Not something like quickdry, but one that comes with vitamins and supplements etc.

Low heat, such as those emnated by a radiator works well for me... eg. a room with a heater switched on, door closed, smoke bongs and dry mushrooms. Quite the delight, and no bad odour, barring the weed. I've noticed that not many subs are really moist this year (drought I'd suspect) and quite a lot have dried out to that withered semi-powderable state quickly. I don't think your shroomswill have rotted in the oven, thats quite counter intuitive, so maybe you burnt them? In that case, psilocybin would have been destroyed, but who knows how much? Apparently white spots on a shroom is more indicative of rot then anything....

On the question of drying/storing, does anyon here store mushrooms with a dessicant? I've heard the idea tossed around, but I don't know if I want to do that.

edit: Oops should have read the above post properly. Can a simple sachet of dessicant be used, I'm storing mushrooms (dried) in a plastic pill container....?

^ id like to know also if its a good idea to store the shrooms with dessicant. i store my dried shrooms in plastic ziplock bags that i then put into glass jars with silica gel inside the jar. id like to put the little silica gel packets inside the actual bags but dont know if its safe to have them right against the shrooms?

^^^Thats my thought, though I read on the shroomery (I think) that some people store them with an upright shotglass of dessicant in the bag....sounds iffy, I would not want to eat that shit. Hopefully someone in the know can help us out.

yeh i read that too but i dont quite understand it...i mean whats stopping the glass from falling over? also i like to squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag leaving them rather flat which is a bit hard to do with a shot glass inside.

A dehydrator for making jerky and such works well.

drying shrooms

is there any way to accelerate the process of drying out mushrooms?
right now they are just sitting in a closed in box, but seem to be drying very slowly.

Put them in front of a fan for a while. Only when they have mostly dried by the fan do you put them in a container with dessicant.

if they are in a closed box of course they will dry slowly

if fans or food dehydrator are not available, most of the time you will be able to dry them in open air. just make sure none of them touch each other and they should be dry in a couple days. if your house has high humidity then you will need some dessicant, but most homes are quite dry in the winter.

Fan works pretty well.

If you don't have one available put them on wire mesh above a container of 'damp-rid' (brand name).

They'll dry up in a day or so.

Happy tripping.

Edit: paper bag would be equal to a container, they're both not suitable.

how to dry mushrooms?

will drying it preserve it better? I just bought the mushroom kit called HydroShroom. Isn't there supposed to be an agent that will dry up mushrooms? Some kind of powder? Wouldn't this powdery substance get on the mushrooms and wouldn't it contaminate it if eating the mushrooms?

Again, I appreciate the google suggestions, but just answer if you can, you know?