View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Mushroom Tea

josenrique

Bluelighter
ok, what i need to know is for how long i can store a bottle of shroom tea in room temperature?
the tea was made with.. hand picked fresh cubensis, mixed in with iced tea, agent lemon and honey. I threw it all in the blender for some time and there is no shroom residue. its really liquified. that was 2 days ago.
I have another bag of fresh shrooms and i was thinking if i could throw the tea again in the blender and add the other shrooms so i would have a really damn strong tea and store it for 4-5 days at room temperature.. what do you people think? reccomendations? anything would help.. i just dont want to throw away the shrooms i picked today by mixing them in a tea that will rot or something by friday.. it would be better to dry my new shrooms? and throw away the 2 day old tea? i cant use the refrigerator so that's not an option..
thnx!

Not very long. A warm solution is probably the most likely situation possible for tryptamines to degrade.

I have been looking for information in this case and nothing even comes close to answering my question. If anyone has any good information that might help it would be a great contribution to everyone learning about mushrooms. I know shrooms do not last for long unless they are dried or stored in honey. If I store fresh shrooms in honey (shrooms already contain water) and they do not rot, why would they rot blended in water and honey? isnt it the same?
I dont really care about potency loss what i want to know is what is exactly happening inside my tea bottle.. someone mentioned bacteria, so giving it a boil will kill most bacteria, or at leats that is what I learned in school. Anyway is the stuff preserving or decaying? and if it is decaying what is the reason?
plz help.. erowid and shroomery have very good infromation but they do not deal with this especific case.
thnx again!

Dont take my word on this cause this is just what I think about your situation. Psilocyben breaks down with heat so any potency loss has already been done. I dont know much about what happens to the psilocybin when its boiled in the water but I'd say if the jar is sealed and in the fridge to keep the water fresh then it will keep for a week or so at least. Its just my assumption that after boiling the mushrooms, the damage is done and the only thing you have to worry about is the water. Thats why I'd say keeping it in the fridge would be a good idea. Water keeps fresh for a while when cooled.
I'v been all over the shroomery and erowid seeking info on mushrooms too and dont recall reading anyting about this. Did you try posting this question on the msg board at the shroomery. I'd say your more likely to get an answer there.

I already posted on shroomery and got only one response regarding bacteria.
I also found this article .. Psilocybin and Heat by Erowid
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_info7.shtml
"but psilocybin is highly water soluable"
Assuming this info is correct..
What could this mean?
More info? assumptions? it will be very appreciated! thnx bongmaster!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if I think back to grade 9 science if something is highly water soluble it just means that it will dissolve easily in water. Once its dissolved in the water its just kind of "mixed" with the water. Since mushroom tea makes you trip out, that probably means that all the psilocybin has not broken down. You do lose some of the "zing" (potency loss = psilocybin breaking down... I dont know) when you boil it because psilocybin does break down with heat. The point is that msuhroom tea makes you trip out so it obviously contains psilocybin... and as far as I know in the same form as it is found in the mushroom.
Boiling the mushrooms only causes some of the psilocybin to break down, and thats at 100 degrees (Im canadian eh?). That article also talkes about people boiling their mushrooms for up to 30 min. In that time frame at that tempurature I'd say if its gonna break down, its gonna break down. I'd say that once the liquid is cooled, sealed and placed in the fridge at 3 or 4 degrees its gonna be a hell of a lot more stable then it was when you were boiling it and thus should keep for an unknown length of time. I'd guess that it will stay good for as long as the water stays good and free of bacteria or whatever happens to water when you let it sit too long.
This does make sense to me but again, im not a professional or a mycologyst so dont take my word for it. I just like to trip
smile.gif

Ok, first of all, 4-5 days of shroom tea sitting out at room temperature, a lot of the psilocybin is going to degrade. Yes, damage was done when it was boiled, but damage will continue to be done unless it is refrigerated.
It is not a very stable molecule.
Secondly, yech! Set a glass of water out for a week and then look at some of it under a microscope. Your talking about drinking swamp water.
Pure

Last edited by a moderator:
[Mushrooms Subthread] Mushroom Tea (Mega Merged)

i've been told the effects are stonger than just eating the mushies. true? does it last as long?

ALSO, does the water HAVE to be boiling when i add the shrooms? or can it just be hot tap water? Thanks!

me an my friends have mixed reviews on this. i say eating them is strong... but some of them say drinking the koolaid is stronger.

sometimes i just enjoy taking a time out from everything and just relax while i eat a mushroom chocolate bar and sip on a nice tall glass of iced mushroom koolaid.

It's not really stronger, although you feel that it is. The onset of the trip is just that much faster, so you go from baseline to high pretty damn quick.

If the water is too hot, you will destroy the psychoactive chemicals in mushrooms.

Also, the come up can happen so fast that it can kind of freak you out for a bit.

yah, to me it can be a completely different experience then just eating dried shrooms. the onset is so fast it feels like your being lauched into space and the peak can be very intense. the duration is shorter as is the come down. I prefer it most of the time unless I just want a chill trip then eating them dry is where its at.

ive done both, and ive found the tea to be very effective. i dont know what you meant by "mushies" but where i come from, we call "mushies" the shit thats left over after the shrooms have been boiled in hot water for 10-12 minutes, no more, no less. anyways, a girl ate an entire quarter of that "mush" and didnt even get a body buzz. boil the water first, put in the mushrooms for only 10-12 minutes, then add tea. it hits kinda hard at first, but its easier to relax and go outside for a walk after a lil bit.

1. Don't use boiling water. Just let the mushrooms sit in warm (perhaps a stove on really, really low) water for 20 minutes or so. Then strain the liquid into another container, being sure to squeeze out all of the wet mushroom material as mush as possible into the new container. Or, forgo any straining and just gulp the whole mixture down, mushrooms and all. Most of the psilocybin/psilocin will be dissolve into the water at that point anyway so you're good to go. At tea if you can stand the taste of the water (which I don't find that bad anyways). Add sugar/koolaid if necessary for added flavor if tea isn't your think. But just don't boil the water, if it's too hot for you to stick a finger in, it's too hot for the purposes of non-wasteful extraction.

2. Like others have said, the trip isn't necessarily longer, it just comes on faster and _might_ be just a tad bit shorter.

3. If I feel the need to experience some psilocybin these days - which is rare, I prefer LSD by far - I'd say that eating freshly picked mushrooms is perhaps the only method of ingestion I prefer more than "mushroom tea." Eating dried mushrooms straight up just isn't for me. Even if I grind up the dried mushrooms and add to orange juice or something, it's still not as good as a water extraction, in my opinion.

beware of how fast it hits you... seriously, i just ate dry ones on an empty stomache once and in about 10 mins i was starring at everything around me shaking and melting and thought my sober sitter friend was "starring at me funny" and this freaked out because i didnt know what was going on, i was expecting like an hour before feeling anything.

other than that, you should be okay. try drinking the tea with light food if you want to avoid that..

Don't use boiling water....

Let the water boil and then cool so it's no longer boiling, but still very hot... let the mushrooms sit in there for some time 12-15 minutes you can let them sit longer if you like...

this method is called "steeping"

Mushroom Tea Preparation

I recently acquired 14 grams of some cubes and was wondering what the best method was to make some mushroom tea out of them? I figured all of the psychonauts on his forum could give me better advice than Goggle

Add to some water, bring to a simmer , perhaps add something acidic such as lemon juice or whateva. By doing this I have probably committed an anti bloolite act , may the good lord forgive me !

Simmer about 10 - 15 minutes!

I asssume you're talking about dried here, found something that worked incredibly well for me. I roughly ground all the little twigletty things up in a herb grinder, then mixed in a bit of honey and ate the mush. It wasn't actually that unpleasant and had me tripping within 10 minutes.