• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] P. Tampanensis & P. Mexicana A Sclerotia (Philosophers Stones)

antiicheez

Bluelighter
[Mushrooms Subthread] P. Tampanensis & P. Mexicana A Sclerotia (Philosophers Stones)

Mushrooms Subthread: Philosophers Stones

Discuss here the type of psilocybian mushrooms called "Philosophers Stones", they are psychedelic truffles which in actuality are the sclerotia of certain strains of Psilocybes that produce them. The most well known are Psilocybe Tampanensis and Psilocybe Mexicana.

Back to: [Main Mushrooms Thread]
mushroom-room-escape-50.jpg

[original post:]

Hi people,
can anyone help me find information on these mushrooms?
In particular its scientific name and pics.
I have searched erowid.org, shroomery.org and it seems the entire internet, but I have not managed to find anything on this particular kind. They are different to other shrooms in that they dont have a cap, and the are grown underground.
I would have thought there would be quite a lot of info on these little bastards, co they are one of the more popular mushrooms in amsterdam.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are clumps of mycelium which are basically mushroom roots. After the mushrooms are picked, the mycelium still retains some psilocybin. That mycelium is oftentimes harvested as well, and dried and sold in "smart shops" as "philosopher's stone".
[ 24 July 2002: Message edited by: C21H23NO5 ]

yes they are the psilocybe tampenesis, the times i took them they gave me minor visuals and a very introspective trip

Let me link you to a pics page for a smart shop. Give me a few to search for one when I'm not busy. They are clumps of mycelium.

that'd be great c21
so are they mycelium or tampenesis?
Or are those completely differnet things?
Yeh, I had my most intense ever trip on them, and I would love to find them again

So what are they? Do they contain psilocybin or what? I have seen them online and they talk about them like they are a different mushroom completely.

They give you a very light trip when compared to normal mushrooms.I think this one is great for first-timetrippers cause they aren't that confronting.I would describe the effects as a very clear-headed marihuana high but with nice CEV and auditory hallucinations.

But it's strange there isn't that much information on the internet cos they are quite popular around here.

If Psilocybe Mexicana aren't philosphers stones then what are?

The following is taken from a website where I got my last lost of stones.................

"Fresh Psilocybe mexicana truffles are technically not mushrooms and do not look anything like magic mushrooms; they're closer to muesli or breakfast cereals.

Psilocybe mexicana is also known as the truffle or Philosopher's Stone. This hallucinogen will give you a stoned, psychedelic, philosophical, happy and visual trip.

According to some experienced trippers, Psilocybe mexicana is a very good alternative to magic mushrooms for first time users, because they give a good feeling and it is an easy controllable trip compared to other psychedelics. After taking these truffles, you will feel giggly and generally find yourself in an ecstatic state of mind. The psychedelic effects of the Psilocybe mexicana truffles can last as long as 6 hours. The psychedelic and euphoric effects will last for 3 hours, after which these effects will make place for a stoned effect of another 3 hours. They're very different from other magic mushrooms and they taste better too!

This Psilocybe mexicana truffle is a euphoric psychedelic (hallucinogen) and contains psilocin and psilocybin. Because of the different effects of this truffle, compared to other Psilocybe magic mushrooms other psychedelic alkaloids are suspected to be present.

Philosopher's Stones only contain about 50% water. That's why these fresh truffles will stay OK for about 2 to 3 weeks when stored in the fridge. They have been developed in Holland following a recent ruling by the Dutch High Court, which banned dry magic mushrooms in the Netherlands.

Apparently, 15 grams is enough for one very strong trip or two medium trips or three mild trips."

psilocybe_mexicana_scleroti.jpg

(sorry if this was against the rules in any way)

I am pretty sure there are 2 kinds of truffles. 1 is the Tampanensis, the other is P. Mexicana strain A. Both will make truffles.

I wouldn't assume you will have a light trip from them, I have heard of people having some rather intense trips as well. My friend took 10 grams, and said it was an intense visual experience, seeing Hindu gods dancing in the pavement and that buildings were bending over and touching him on the head. However he did say that throughout this entire time he was able to hold a conversation with a stranger.

10 grams wet truffles = about 3.5 dry shroom grams
this is a rough approximation and just off the top of my head

bluedolphin said:
..seeing Hindu gods dancing in the pavement and that buildings were bending over and touching him on the head. However he did say that throughout this entire time he was able to hold a conversation with a stranger.

Holy crap! That's impressive!

Some of the other strains can produce philosophers stones as well, given the right conditions. A friend ran into an ecuadorian strain that was producing them rather unexpectedly. The tampanensis and mexicana strains are the most notorious for this, though.

^^^

I've never heard of this before, I'd be interested to find out more. Anyone know where I could find a little more information on the matter?

sclerotia

philosopher's stones are sclerotia{dense hyphae}

go to mushmush.nl
go to theshroomery.org and look up sclerotia

mexicana A is the best for this

they take about four months to grow but you get ~30% dry weight from whatever substrate you use

i've heard that sclerotia (philosopher stone) is more potent by weight, because of it's 30% dry weight would mean it contains more psilocybin. roughly 2 and a 1/2 times.. probably not that... aim more for a little under twice as potent, with a ceiling of about 2 1/2... i really don't have much experience with this subject though, i just read this on shroomery sometime back awhile ago.

it might, however provide for a smoother trip, due to possibly different chemical variations... it's still shrooms, it still contains psilo. but maybe something is different.

also... there are certain species of psilocybe mushrooms that just have this tendency to form large amounts of sclerotia... but at the same time, fruits can develop and will if conditions are set for them to. so no "philosopher stones" are not a totally different mushroom.

anyways, just my thoughts.. i'm tripping right now though so maybe i might be making this up.. i don't think so though.. blah nevermind

As far as a smoother trip, i'm not sure...it's still psilocybin you're ingesting. However, in my experience sclerotia tasted a bit nuttier than mushrooms alone, which i preferred. They also didn't seem to upset my stomach as much.

yeah they taste quite nice. Someone said 'hey man it's much more of a body buzz' but yeah it's essentially psilocin doing the job so probably more to do with suggestion.
Apart from the flavour so what? They are not know to have very high tryptamine content so I can see any advantage over stronger strains. Even with MAOI's they need a bit of help.

Sigh, another reason to move to amsterdam where there is culture and society is more advanced in its laws.

philosophers stones

I'm getting 35g of philosophers stone truffles. [mod's note: edited for content]. They come fresh. It says 15g is enough for a very strong trip so I'm sharing it with a friend. Do we just split what we get in half and chew on it for ages and swallow like normal mushrooms? are philosophers stones shit?

Last edited by a moderator: