Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Storage, Stability and Potency

Wanderingstar

Bluelighter
Mushrooms Subthread: Storage, Stability and Potency

Discuss here how to store mushrooms, the aspects of psiloc(yb)in stability and what conditions decrease potency!

Back to: [Main Mushrooms Thread]
mushroom-room-escape-50.jpg

[original post:]

Last week I took some dried mushrooms which were fairly potent. Since then they've just been sitting around in a non-airtight plastic baggy. Do mushrooms lose any potency with time and age?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but relatively slowly. Even in a non-airtight bag they'll be good for a few months at least.

I disagree. I have personal experience with older mushrooms being less potent. In addition, the 4-position tryptamines like psilocin and psilocybin are relativly fragile and do degrade fairly rapidly if not stored free from light, air, and heat.
Wanderingstar, have you ever considered just putting the mushrooms into an airtight ziplock bag?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mushrooms do lose some of their potency with time. They also lose potency when they are not sealed air tight.
The way in which you dry a mushroom is also a factor in how much psilocybin the mushroom will "hold in"
The best way to store mushrooms long term is to dry em out real good until their bone dry and then grind them up into a fine powder... a coffee grinder works great for this. Then sruff em into one of those jars with the rubber band around the bottom of the lid and pack the powder in tight so there is as little air in the jar as possible. Once sealed they stay good for 4 years or so.

Do dried mushrooms go bad or expire ?

I have 5 full gelcaps of mushrooms that were dried and grinded up. These are from September of last year 2004. I don't know how old they were then either, they came from a friend, but I ate 5 gel caps at that time, and had a good trip while rolling on some MDMA.

Anyway, I am just trying to find out if these are still any good. It's about 10 months later. They have been stored in a dark medicine container, in a closet the entire time. I am most concerned first with if they will make me sick, and secondly if they will work at all, third if they will be not as potent now ?

Thanks

It's all in the storage. If you had them stored in a dry, airtight bag in the dark in a cold place (a freezer/fridge especially) then they might still be good.

I have ~5 year old dried mushrooms that are still good (active, but slightly degraded, subjectively 3g is like 2-2.5g)

They shouldn't make you sick, other than the usual mushroom-induced naseua (this is only for properly dried mushrooms though, fresh ones can grow toxic mold stuffs).
They should be active, and depending on how well you dried/stored, potency can vary.

Well they were very good when I had them, so I am assuming they were dried well and properly. They have been sealed shut in gelcaps, and those gelcaps have been inside an 'airtight' dark plastic medicine container, which has been inside a closet, for the past 10 months.

Sounds like they will be ok :)

Thanks

Check out shroomery.org they have a bunch of recipes and directions for preserving mushies.

-weez

From the sound of how you stored them. They should be ok. If anything they might have lost a fraction of their potency if anything at all.

You know what's really weird and paradoxical? I and a few other BlueLighter's who roam around here have experienced a phenomenal INCREASE in potency as the shrooms age, *if stored properly*. My friend had a mere 2 grams of Psilocybe Cubensis mushrooms rolled up in a plastic baggie in a cigar box in a shelf in his room.

I came to his house in distress over an interpersonal relationship malaise, and had decided that I was in desparate need of a trip to work things out in my mind.

He graciously gave me the two grams of dried cubensis,and they were 1.5 years old. I ate them expecting absolutely nothing. What I got was one of the most visually intense, profoundly fear-confronting and beneficial mushroom trip that I have ever had (35 or so mushroom trips prior). Having such experience with mushrooms, I'd place what I felt at that dosage at more of a 5-6.5gram cubensis dose which is more than three times the amount that I ate. I had eaten these 1.5 years ago (same batch), 2 grams, and got NOTHING like this.

I guess my point, really, is that your mushrooms could actually have gained potency! Test 'e out and tell us how they wokrk out, I suspect you may be surprsied.

Best Wishes!=D

hmmm...now that i think of it, i find that older mushrooms are more mellow, not that they decrease in potency, but they sort of smooth out. the onset isn't like BAM, it's more like creeps up on you and you're pleasantly surprised.

Vaya your trip was mostly likely strong bescause as u said u wher ein a emotinal state and that could definilty influence your trip.

Delta-9- THC said:
Vaya your trip was mostly likely strong bescause as u said u wher ein a emotinal state and that could definilty influence your trip.

I was thinking the same thing. Trips are very dependant on your emotions. If you got a lot of shit going on in your squash then you're going to have an intense trip. At least in my experience. Though, on the otherhand, you can use that to your advantage. Meditation on shrooms can be very profound. You relax your body and mind enough and all sorts of stuff comes pouring out.

In response to an earlier post i think that storing mushrooms for a long period of time 1-5 months as no adverse effects. I had saved some for the right moment which turned out to be about 4-5 months later. I split the 8th with a friend and had an insane intensly visual trip which lasted very long. almost seemed as potent as a few of my 8th trips.

2nd - How many of you have seen aliens or alien like entities on mushrooms?
closed eye mostly sometimes the shape would be seen in a carpet with open eyes .

It depends on how they are stored. If you store them properly, that is, perfectly dried, with silica gel, inside an airtight jar or other container, in the dark and a cool place, you can expect them to last for years. I believe samples of mushrooms have been found with the actives preserved from decades ago (can't be bothered to search for a source right now however).

Stored badly, they won't last long though.