• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nicotine for opiate withdrawal

I think the key word there is enhances. I chew and smoke on occasion and it certainly hasn't made it easier for me to kick opiates. Although if you never used nicotine, and started when you stopped the opiates, maybe the slight buzz would be enough to distract you. I doubt it would help with your symptoms though.

I think the key word there is enhances. I chew and smoke on occasion and it certainly hasn't made it easier for me to kick opiates. Although if you never used nicotine, and started when you stopped the opiates, maybe the slight buzz would be enough to distract you. I doubt it would help with your symptoms though.

For 2 or so hours it seems like it would completely relieve all of the psychological symptoms. I can't remember what it did physically for my withdrawal, because it was a long time ago.

Im not under physical w/d anymore so I wouldn't be able to test this out. I might try the gum and see what it does for me.

I Often find myself smoking less when in w/d, for I find the stimulating effect of the nicotine to be discomforting. But to each their own.

I Often find myself smoking less when in w/d, for I find the stimulating effect of the nicotine to be discomforting. But to each their own.

It gives me a depressing effect, which I like. It says that people who take quick puffs get a amphetamine like rush, and people who take slow hits get a more depressing pain killing feeling.

I remember using them when i needed to do a considerable amount of work during w/d. Seemed to help.

I think "to each their own" is right. Wd's are just like being sick and everyone has their own thing that works for them to make them feel better. Some might find the effects of nicotine to be comforting, while others don't like it. Same can be said for nicotine when you're not in wd, everybody's different.

It's hard for me to smoke during wd as well.. not because of any kind of stimulating effect (I actually find it to be more calming) but because it's so irritating to the stomach lining and usually induces hardcore vomiting.

The nicotine itself, however, does seem to help give me a pretty decent serotonin boost and helps me relax, at least for a few minutes.

Nicotine actually increases the addictive nature of other substances. I've gone through nicotine and opiate withdrawal both by themselves and coupled together, and though nicotine gives a small amount of relief during opiate withdrawal, it makes it much worse once it wears off. Nicotine also makes it harder to quit for me personally.

Nicotine and opiates both undermine the sympathetic nervous system so it wouldn't be good to use nicotine during opiate withdrawal. The best relief from non-opioids would be from alpha-2 agonists such as lofexidine or clonidine. Beta-blockers supposedly give some relief as well.

Last edited:
All I now is that whenever I was "sick"(withdrawing)...even just a TINY bit, even the thought of a cigg would make my stomache churn.....but as soon as I pushed the plunger down, the first thing I looked for was my pack of red 100's.

All I know is this. Everytime I go cold turkey I chain smoke bogies and drink coffee like it's going out of style.

Jesus H Christ, don't use nicotine AT ALL unless you are already addicted to it.

& I read somewhere that nicotine is associated with opiate use...ie more opiate addicts are smokers in comparison to the general population. Can't remember the figures, but its a significant % more.

Also, kicking smoking at the same time as kicking another drug you are addicted to (alcohol in particular) is widely accepted to be a bad idea...you're taking too much on at the same time.

?

"nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. "

Most of you probably already knew this, but does it mean what i think it does?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine
12 year old thread, sorry for bumping it.

Whilst going through sub WDs I stumbled upon a very temporary solution. I was vaping away and noticed my stomach and RLS felt relatively normal. Stopped vaping came back, started again eased off... There's some truth to it, don't ask me how or why or whatever but from personal experience, it definitely does something.