• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Nobody has freewill.

but that says nothing about freedom, it only says something about the nature of our perception (of time/space and causality).
Some people claim that they freely chose to do what they did and that they could have done something other than what they did. How could they have been free to do something different?

it is what it is. lol
by freewill are we speaking of acting and doing whatever we want without cosequences?
wtf is free will?
if ya wanna do something ya can... it is what it is. what happens afterward is a consequence or reaction to your free will.
just because someone says you are not allowed to act out does that mean you cannot? sure ya can been doing this all my life mostly. there are reactions.

maybe thread should be titled cant do what i want without repercussions...?

6am-64-14m said:
if ya wanna do something ya can

Theoretically.

wtf is free will?

Decision making that is not a result of determinism, whether that be nature or nurture... or both.

KOSMICTRAVELLER said:
Some people claim that they freely chose to do what they did and that they could have done something other than what they did. How could they have been free to do something different?

It is impossible to prove, one way or the other.

Maybe free will exists, but it seems unlikely and there is zero evidence for it.

Last edited:
If they couldn't do it "freely" then freely means NOTHING at all. I think determinism is absurd because we are always living in the present, not in the step from the past to the present, if you get what I mean..

Same as me, how could I have been free to type something different than what I did?

I don't know, but have you heard about "quantum mind" theory?

Basically it is the idea that intelligence is a machine that harnesses the existential variability (or simply randomness) of quantum mechanics and channels it into a controlled force.

AFAIK it is the only existing viable case for free will or nuanced complication of deterministic reasoning, which in itself is a very logical and humble response to the naïve intuition of will.

powers out hope we gotta backup plan... oh yeah, no we dont my bad.
pst

it is what it is. lol
by freewill are we speaking of acting and doing whatever we want without cosequences?
wtf is free will?
if ya wanna do something ya can... it is what it is. what happens afterward is a consequence or reaction to your free will.
just because someone says you are not allowed to act out does that mean you cannot? sure ya can been doing this all my life mostly. there are reactions.
free GIF

I think you're right but only partially. As individuals, we do have free will. However, being an individual is not what it seems on the surface. Some would say that consciousness originates purely within the brain, which is likely not entirely accurate IMO. However, our brain function is determined by genetics, what we consume (e.g. food, drugs/medications, etc.), and our past experiences. So, it's not really "us" per se. Our end behavior may be "our" decisions, but what makes "us" up includes many factors that aren't directly within our control.

Few of us truly have "original" ideas very often. Though, in some cases (relatively rare ones), people do have ideas that are inspired solely by their own observations. Realistically, this isn't that common for most people. Though, an extremely intelligent person could have them somewhat more often than most of us. However, even in these cases, there's still external inspiration behind it. It didn't come solely and completely from one's own mind.

Last edited:
This is our biggest issue, imo.
we want to and control everthing we want. is there really any cotrol at all? Look around a sec.
human has figured out this phenom (prolly through numbers) is advantageous to cotrol and created a reality out of it.
does the book have to be fulfilled or can we actually disregard and make the change?
locked down or running freely?
idk

honestly the only way to approach this is to act as if you had free will.
because if you don't, it makes absolutely no difference at all,
and if you do, you will not rob yourself of the opportunity to change something in your life instead of accepting your life as "fate" no matter how unhappy you are with it.

Belief in fate is honestly just psychological self-mutilation
at least if you're unhappy with life, and think you somehow deserve what life has become for you.

if life-RNG works out for you it doesn't really matter what you believe in

@December Flower

You can't rob yourself of your ability to do something that you're not going to do in the first place, but I get what you mean. The illusion of free will is necessary, I think. That's why it exists. Having said that, some people think the illusion of heaven/hell is necessary.

I don't believe in free will. I'm not sure that has any impact on my ability to change or make decisions. I think maybe change is easier (without the illusion of free will) because I know I can't do anything other than what I'm doing so I don't dwell on it.

Rather than trying and failing endlessly to resist temptation, I treat myself like a werewolf and get the chains on when there's a full moon.

I always look at it as if the Big Bang was really the beginning of our universe then we are all living in the aftershock of an explosion ? So if with enough math you can determine the trajectory of a object that’s been exploded with say dynamite, like X will get hit with this foce sending it flying into Y at this angle with this much force ect. Then you should be able to figure out what exactly would happen in the explosion right ? Well the Big Bang would be the same deal no ? So that would make freewill a myth if we really are living in the aftershock of an explosion

@Electrum1

Interesting stuff, but it seems like the connection between free will and quantum mechanics remains (at this point anyway) rather flimsy.

I wonder how free free will is, if it exists?

Our decisions are certainly influenced by nurture and nature. Perhaps we have some freedom within that, but we certainly don't have absolute freedom. Addiction wouldn't exist if we did.

Think about it. If absolute free will exists, why is it so hard for people to change?

Some of the same people that say people don't change say we have free will. How does that make sense?

Why do smokers keep smoking?

@Electrum1
I wonder how free free will is, if it exists?
I feel like we have some of each. Part free will, and part our atoms/cells forcing certain things. It's a balance.
Our decisions are certainly influenced by nurture and nature. Perhaps we have some freedom within that, but we certainly don't have absolute freedom. Addiction wouldn't exist if we did.

Think about it. If absolute free will exists, why is it so hard for people to change?
I agree. I don't think we have absolute free will
Some of the same people that say people don't change say we have free will. How does that make sense?
We have some free will

That wasn't all directed at you. Much of it was general comments.

In still not sure what definition of free will we're working on ITT. Some people seem to be suggesting absolute free will which is IMO absurd.

We have some free will

What is that assumption based on?

Beyond theoretical physics, what evidence is there?

Nobody has free will. People say it exists because they can't stand the thought of them not being in control of their self. They have no more control than that of a rock, tree, bird or insect. Everything ever done had to be done. Nothing else could've happened. Nobody could've done anything other than what they did.

That's such a cop out. Everybody has free will.