• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opiate induced brain damage a moderating perspective

We only use 10% at any given time. We use the entirety of our brain (though the effects of neuroplasticity guarantee that some regions will receive more blood flow than others leading to greater nerve cell generation)) but at any given moment most* use 10% total.

If you are a responsible opioid user, and don't use them to the point of passing out from lack of oxygen, you'll be fine.

Nope.Hypoxia added to overdoses will have a deleterious effect, but that notwithstanding, injected heroin causes a 30% drop in blood flow or oxygen concentration. Im assuming that that persists for the duration of a nod. The body can compensate, but clearly something is responsible for the cognitive decline.
Only meth and heroin have been implicated having said that. Not only that the deficits were noted in injected heroin and methadone maintenance. MMT is often accompanied by benzodiazepine use which I dont beleive was factored in. Injected heroin causes a rapid fall which is probably what's responsible in some measure for the reported "rush"

Last edited:
You don't use "10% of your brain at once", that's a load of shit

There are three threads?! Someone post all the links in here and i'll merge it all together.

Are we getting trolled? DHC abuse? not trying to marginalize but years of smoking fent./banging stuff with benzos and alcohol having all those awful death dreams and now that I am quit everything has come back ten fold. My sister is a surgeon and she just had a baby and she freaks out about everything b/c of every stupid study published. I feel like its a very individual case with each person with too many variables that come into play to say anything definite. Only thing I can say is Bupe is just as bad as any other drug I have been on so I may not wait till next summer if you're that worried.

I haven't noticed any damage from opiates at all really except when i run out of course! Ive been on opiates for pain (as well as pleasure :| ) since 2005 and oxycodone, morphine, hydromorphone, fentanyl, etc have not caused any noticeable cognitive decline and haven't even fucked up my sex drive. Granted i do have bipolar so maybe they just bring my sex drive down to normal :\ . When i was a alcoholic and used loads of benzos and crack it took a good 2 years of laying off any drug stronger then cannabis for my head to clear.

So i would say opiates are pretty benign in terms of long term damage. Coke, alcohol, MDMA and amphetamines on the other hand definitely seem to fuck your head up. There are plenty of people my age here who i just look at and know they where/are a crack head.

Precisely. Even while high its not easy to tell that someone's an opiate user (unless they are either extremely inebriated, as in far past the point where being that high on any other drug class would have them apprehended). The only recreational drug which appears more benign in terms of physical damage is Cannabis.

Its all give and take in this life anyway.

No one can tell when I'm on them either.

When taken as prescribed the only way I can tell is if I check pupils.

The only give away that I might be using opiods is that I can move around normally and have a massive smile on my face. That and the pinned pupils.

That's one thing I'm pretty sure that only other people on opiates ever spot as most people think all drugs dilate your pupils. But yeah unless your so far gone that your nodding off on your feet it's very hard to tell if someone is on a opiate. Granted some opiates.opioids do impair you more then others due to certain effects that are atypical of opioids. Demerol would be a example of a opioid that fucks alot of people including myself up and not in a good way. It actually dilates my pupils somewhat along with making me feel like i took a small dose of risperidone or something.

in my opinion, opiates do not cause brain damage except maybe to the pleasure center of the brain. Not cognition though. Sure, it wouldnt surprise me if some heavy users are cognitively impaired but its nothing that will remain signifcant after years of abstinence.

Does scientific research back up your claims?

I'd like to add one may argue that just because no one can tell you're on opiates, does not necessarily make them less physically damaging. It probably shouldn't validate use.

Taken as prescribed, my pupils don't give anything away. They don't get pinned unless I've taken a lot.