• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opium and poppy questions

constipated99

Greenlighter
hello guys,hope everything good
i want to try opium but where i live its almost impossible to find it.
so i decided to grow some papaver somniferum poppies.
now here are my questions
how much opium a poppy yields and how many of them should i cutivate for a single dose to eat?
also whats aprox a first time dose(eaten)
thats all
thanks

opium yield is very low and most people tend to use the pods because it is easier. The whole plant can be juiced and contains alkaloids.

pods vary so much that it's hard to say how much to take. I would grow at least a 1-2 metre square patch and choose good strains. I would consider planting the white seeded variety over the blue ones.

Hi, I am interested in drinking poppy tea as well. Why is it you recommend the white over blue variety? Are there different alkaloid concentrations between the two or is it a matter of potency or something else entirely?

The UN sez:
about fifteen plants per square metre (25 cm. between the plants) if the seeds were sown broadcast, and about 10 to 15 cm. between the plants if the seeds were sown in rows. [...]
The opium yield of a capsule varies a great deal-from 0.01 gramme to 0.1 gramme, and even in special cases to 0.2 gramme. A normal capsule produces about 0.08 gramme.

or more recently:
According to Colombia’s Ministry of the Interior and Justice (2003), it is estimated that one hectare of poppies produces an average harvest of 11 kilos of latex and 0.5 kilos of heroin, figures similar to those seen in Mexico. Based on three potential harvests per year, that is 22 kilos of latex and 1.5 kilos of heroin per hectare.

[...]
According to farmers, plants with white flowers yield more latex. In the fields, there is a visible tendency toward the selection of seeds from white flowering plants, although plants with flowers of all colours continue to be grown: red, purple, violet, pink and white.
[...]
According to information collected directly from poppy growers in southern Colombia in 2016, on average, a poppy crop occupies one square meter and produces approximately 20 bulbs optimal for harvesting. Each bulb can produce half a gram of latex in total. This means that a crop (one square meter) produces 10 grams of latex.

alkaloid can be either collected as morphine the old-style way or can be collected as a wet latex without drying on the plant (Colombian style). in fact the whole plant can be stewed in acidic water to extract all possible alkaloids.
either way you would need some chemical purification to isolate the morphine

opium yield is very low and most people tend to use the pods because it is easier. The whole plant can be juiced and contains alkaloids.

pods vary so much that it's hard to say how much to take. I would grow at least a 1-2 metre square patch and choose good strains. I would consider planting the white seeded variety over the blue ones.
I'm indoors have all the seedlings & just can't find info on how deep the container needs to be, any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm indoors have all the seedlings & just can't find info on how deep the container needs to be, any help would be greatly appreciated

From my memory they don’t deep taproots, their roots spread more laterally. Please someone correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think the container needs to be super deep but definitely give space around them.

-GC

From my memory they don’t deep taproots, their roots spread more laterally. Please someone correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think the container needs to be super deep but definitely give space around them.

-GC
yep u remember right

They grow best in poor, well drained soil (amazing how many British roadsides have swathes of pale lilac/white flowerd, come the end of June). Get caught cultivating the lilac/white flowered strain and it's not a happy ending. Luckily, garden centres carry an ornimental strain, with bright red, double petal flowers. Still get a decent yield of opium, when extracting from poppy straw (pods & stems) and it doesn't run the risk of setting off busibody neighbours, who would have recognized the lilac/white strain (just make sure the seeds are P. somniferum and not P. orientale, as they are the main form of poppies grown for their colour and appearance, but only contain the more exotic alkaloids, like thebane and oripavine. Great if you have a lab and the reagents/chemicals to make things like etorphine, but most don't!).
As to how they manage to get a precise morphine content, they assay raw opium, to determine morphine content, then add filler to achieve fixed percentage of morphine per gram (prepared opium). From then on, it's easy. Opium tincture is made using prepared opium.
Last little bit of info: opium poppies don't need any special conditions, to get good morphine yields (unlike weed, that involves using more electricity than most streets use), just enough water to prevent wilting and being planted at the correct time of year (best grown directly from seeds; they don't take well to being transplanted...)

Hi, I am interested in drinking poppy tea as well. Why is it you recommend the white over blue variety? Are there different alkaloid concentrations between the two or is it a matter of potency or something else entirely?
White/bluey lilac are basically the same, as the genes for petal colour have bog all to do with genes that produce enzymes that create alkaloids.
When I read the "interested in drinking poppy tea", I had some sort of involuntary wretch, as it tastes unbelievably horrible and nothing masks the bitterness of morphine (my wife gets oramorph, yet the pure alkaloid and all the masking agents to hand, do nothing to remove that lingering bitterness). Even related alkaloids are horribly bitter (nothing more horrible than having one of my dihydrocodeine tablets begin to dissolve, in my mouth, before I can swallow it).
Quinine is rated the most bitter substance known, but morphine & associated alkaloids come a close second (I'm all for a company making tonic water with morphine, instead of quinine, but it's just a dream!)

you want a relatively deep container since you're basically growing a carrot. it doesn't need to be super deep, but it shouldn't be a shallow pot
I done fucked up already 😄😄 , but this was my 1rst attempt , & sooooooo many termed. I'll try to transplant some of the healthy ones. F'n A.....growing a carrot. All I needed. You are a saint, sent to answer 😇. It only said 40% germ rate....way way more. Good thing I have probably 100k more trys. TY again God Bless

That person doesn’t know what they are talking about… The taproot is nothing like a carrot, maybe a tiny baby carrot.

-GC

-GC
TY for your answer, I'm about a month in....a million little ones, gotta see if they can be trans planted....wish me luck 😜, for other info for anyone else....they grow great next to mmj autos....sooooo, I will let y'all know...TY again God bless

Ok....I have perelite & A+ soil, how deep? I want them to look like the shit in Helman province. I will do next set 6 inches apart to sow. An educated guess would be great.

I done fucked up already 😄😄 , but this was my 1rst attempt , & sooooooo many termed. I'll try to transplant some of the healthy ones. F'n A.....growing a carrot. All I needed. You are a saint, sent to answer 😇. It only said 40% germ rate....way way more. Good thing I have probably 100k more trys. TY again God Bless
Do not transplant them, they don’t transplant well and die in the vast majority of cases.
In Latvia in the 2000’s they did a study on the alkaloid or morphine content on garden variety opium strains to see whether they were producing similar amounts to pharmaceutical grade and they were.
The .pdf file is online and the strain’s Lauren’s Grape (A purple colour) was the best producer with Victoria(‘s) Cross second.
Seed colour has nothing to do with how well they grow.
On average apparently a pod produces between 10mg to 120mg opium, I’m not sure if this is in one go or if this is fully/including multiple harvests.

All this talk about poppies. You guys know how one can figure out if an established crop of them contains opium? They all seem to bleed sap the same, the ones I've cut. Is there an easy test kit or way to determine that it's opioid content is more than background. And how do you determine strength besides actually smoking/consuming it?

I've always wanted to make a ball of opium to try smoking in a pipe or whatever hah.

They grow best in poor, well drained soil (amazing how many British roadsides have swathes of pale lilac/white flowerd, come the end of June). Get caught cultivating the lilac/white flowered strain and it's not a happy ending. Luckily, garden centres carry an ornimental strain, with bright red, double petal flowers. Still get a decent yield of opium, when extracting from poppy straw (pods & stems) and it doesn't run the risk of setting off busibody neighbours, who would have recognized the lilac/white strain (just make sure the seeds are P. somniferum and not P. orientale, as they are the main form of poppies grown for their colour and appearance, but only contain the more exotic alkaloids, like thebane and oripavine. Great if you have a lab and the reagents/chemicals to make things like etorphine, but most don't!).
As to how they manage to get a precise morphine content, they assay raw opium, to determine morphine content, then add filler to achieve fixed percentage of morphine per gram (prepared opium). From then on, it's easy. Opium tincture is made using prepared opium.
Last little bit of info: opium poppies don't need any special conditions, to get good morphine yields (unlike weed, that involves using more electricity than most streets use), just enough water to prevent wilting and being planted at the correct time of year (best grown directly from seeds; they don't take well to being transplanted...)
Papaver is almost implantable. The root goes right down like the Californian Poppy.

in that it is a taproot, i think is what they were going for

Maybe.. Most all plants have a taproot, but in this case poppies grow roots sideways instead of down so it’s nowhere close to a carrot. It’d be like me saying my pinky looks like my cock. I guess kinda but not really lol, some major size differences there.

-GC