• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Desperate Panic / Anxiety attacks - whose dealt with them and how have you managed them?

If you really want to deal with anxiety/panic attacks you have to challenge what it causing them. Medication can work, for a short time anyway. I found that medication (sertraline, citalopram, mirtazapine, fluoxotine etc) all served a purpose until they no longer served a purpose at all. And if they continue to work, the side effects from taking them for me are not worth it. Numbing yourself to life isn't the cure and from my experience with meds and anxiety/panic attacks, that's all they did in the end.

There are no magic bullets. Learning to deal with these things is key. Anxiety you deal with by facing the anxiety head on. When your mind is telling you something is wrong you keep moving and prove it to be false. If you envision the worst case scenario unfolding find out whether it's going to happen. Have the courage to fight it and you'll find what you think might happen actually doesn't. There's a story in your mind playing out and the minute you start believing it and not questioning this story is the minute you take the abit and get hooked. How long will you go for a ride? Depends on how long you let the ride go on. You can get off anytime you want by seeing it for what it is - a story in your mind. Experimentation is very important. If it's busy places you lose your nerve, busy places is where you start. If it's talking to people that buckles you, start talking to people more. You can use each and every situation as a learning experience and an opportunity to experiment with different ways of handling the situation. Whatever the story, it's your job to contradict it by doing something that, according to the story, would be the end of the world. If you're in a busy place and you start getting anxious and your mind is saying "People are judging you" then make owl noises or some shit. Flap your arms about. Do something outlandish. The point here is to prove that it's not the end of the world and to challenge the beliefs behind the anxiety and to do it in a way that counteracts the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario is someone comes up to you and asks if you're okay and in which case you can say "Yes, thanks. And you?". God forbid they don't approve of your antics but hey, they aren't in your shoes and they probably aren't committing to exposure therapy like you are learning that it's perfectly okay to challenge what you are going through and be the better person for finding ways to succeed through your experiences. In some situations you might even want to face rejection. In many cases and if the anxiety revolves around other people, the best medicine is learning to give less f*cks and to make a joke out of the seriousness of having to be in the headspace where your are consumed by others, their thoughts, behaviours, expectations etc. In other words, rebelling can be crucial. When you think you're being judged. Do something that makes you judged and then see what happens. Keep doing it and you'll see that whatever target in your minds eye that is judging you slowly loses it's power when you continue to throw shade at the assumption that you NEED to be a victim in the process. A victim freezes. A strong person sculpts the situation to his/her benefit and so do that - sculpt the situation. Don't be afraid to get creative. When you think something is wrong with you, make sure to truly have something wrong with you in the context of the situation in order to really pry open the narrative in your head. See what happens then. Do the worst possible thing. Wave your hands in a long queue. Speak a foreign language to someone behind you, or make up your own. Start making cat noises. Try and get everybody to do a Mexican wave. The narrative in your head suddenly starts to lose it's power and now it's just noise. And noise is really all it should be considered to be because otherwise and if you choose to believe everything in your mind, you are opening yourself up to becoming a slave to every single thing your mind produces and we all know our minds can produce some dark and f*cked up sh*t. Make art of that darkness. Put a beard and a cowboy hat on the skeleton your mind draws. Dance with the devil when he is summoned.

Find out what happens when you say something the group doesn't want to hear. See whether the Earth freezes over. Whether your life ends right now. Whether you can cope with having contrasting opinions to someone else. Find out what happens when you put on a fake accent on the subway when someone talks to you. On one side of the coin you are anxious and don't want to be judged less you dissolve into your chair, and on the other you are making a parody out of the situation by pretending to be Fred the Flintstone or Peter Griffin. You are learning that it's not the end of the world. The person you are speaking to you probably won't ever see again. And it's not a life or death situation. You're not asking for his/her approval in marrying their daughter. You are on a subway and you got anxious and so you turned that anxiety into comedy while also realizing you can take control of the situation and turn it around.

Panic is similar. The only thing with panic is, your body tends to REALLY think it's the end. The best thing to do here is to learn to sit through it. While your mind is telling you you are having a heart attack and you're finished. Sit with this and focus on your breathing. You'll find that, shit, I'm still here. And if I'm still here today then chances are, I will still be here everytime I have a panic attack. Breathing is really important with panic attacks because it overrides the panic attack. You can't be thinking about dying AND breathing at the same time. You can either be thinking about dying OR breathing. Meditation teaches this when you practice focusing on your breath when thoughts bubble to the surface and you realize that when you focus on your breath the thoughts can't persist because your attention is focused on breathing. The thoughts have no choice but to move along. Sure, they keep cropping up but they always will. You focus on your breath and those thoughts come and go.

This reminded me of something I forgot

Tylenol helps anxiety it blunts emotions my shrink told me to take a Tylenol when I was pregnant and wouldn’t take a Xanax even thought he told me one would be fine but I know how my mind works it wouldn’t have been fine it would have been more fuel for the bone fire of fear and anxiety that always was burning at that point in my life. Xanax can cause cleft palate I learned that in school and if I took one omg that’s all I would think about back then my mind was uncontrollable

I got control through meditation
breathwork
yoga

these things stimulate your vagus nerve which decreases your overall anxiety and lessons panic attacks or stops them completely
i no longer get them
I dont have superstition saying that as I used to thinking uttering those words would bring them back because they are gone because I changed my body through hard work

breathwork is the most powerful thing it even stimulates dmt in the body and you can feel like you are tripping
breath of fire, kundalini yoga will change your life and your bodies overstimulated hyper vigilant state that is causing the anxiety and panic attacks
Thanks for y'alls input @imo_incolae and @jane douloureux.

When I originally posted in this thread I got wrapped up in the medication aspect and completely forgot about what I used to do for panic attacks that helped me cope and overcome them before I became diagnosed and medicated.

I learned to do this on my own. When I felt a panic attack coming on, I got into the habit of telling myself, "Okay, if I'm going to die right now, I'm going to die on my terms and not sitting on the couch like a loser." I would pour a glass of water, sit in my armless chair, strap on my guitar, and start playing. I convinced myself that if I was gonna have the heart attack then I would die with my guitar in my hands like a badass. In addition to all that, I would also regulate my breathing by taking deep breaths. The funny thing was that the guitar aspect prolly helped distract me from the impending doom and the panic attack would subside within minutes. And hey, I didn't die.

Thanks for y'alls input @imo_incolae and @jane douloureux.

When I originally posted in this thread I got wrapped up in the medication aspect and completely forgot about what I used to do for panic attacks that helped me cope and overcome them before I became diagnosed and medicated.

I learned to do this on my own. When I felt a panic attack coming on, I got into the habit of telling myself, "Okay, if I'm going to die right now, I'm going to die on my terms and not sitting on the couch like a loser." I would pour a glass of water, sit in my armless chair, strap on my guitar, and start playing. I convinced myself that if I was gonna have the heart attack then I would die with my guitar in my hands like a badass. In addition to all that, I would also regulate my breathing by taking deep breaths. The funny thing was that the guitar aspect prolly helped distract me from the impending doom and the panic attack would subside within minutes. And hey, I didn't die.
No problem!
You are exactly right.
You completely ruin the story by actually going along with it and then doing something that throws a spanner in the works. The story can't hold and the truth reveals itself. Its just another story and its probably absurd, extreme and usually revolves around something bad happening to you. Why would you want to be a victim of that story when you can throw it into disarray by playing around with it? We aren't intelligent enough, and furthermore, we don't have two brains, to reinvent another story while the previous is unfolding and so its impossible for the story to reinvent itself.

It always starts with you. We have become too dependent on things outside of ourselves for the answers to life. None of those things will give you the answers. They just create a layer of convenience, comfort, temporary restbite and a false sense of security over the reality underneath.

Out of all the times I've been depressed in life among other experiences including severe anxiety, I would say less than 20% of those episodes have resolved themselves solely down to pharmaceutical intervention. Less than 1% involving actual support from the mental health system. 80% of the time (or maybe even more) has simply been down to doing the work. Getting my thinking cap on, getting the books out, opening myself to the realization I am responsible for understanding myself and nobody else can fix me, learning about what is going on, getting out into the world and putting it all into practice on my own.

Life is an experiment in many ways, and you are the scientist. There is no surefire concrete way of living, despite what our society and culture says. Do this, go for that, take this pill, buy this product, believe this, stand in line and consume, conform, follow the crowd, do the "right" thing etc. It's helped to make generations of increasingly more helpless and less equipped people to deal with the reality of life and further pushing them into comfort zones and conditioning them to reach out to sources that they are told are panaceas, when in truth they are anything but. When it dawns on them what they were taught to trust in and depend on are flawed and consist of empty promises they resort to more extreme and unhealthy ways of coping and here we are, in the modern world consumed by myriad social problems in our world. Much of that, I believe anyway, is simply because people have lost their way. Lost their way in large part because they were told it was the right decision and would benefit them.

We are living through a severe mental health crisis. We have more social problems than ever before. We have the highest rates of addiction and drug abuse than we ever have. All the things we know are fundamentally unhealthy for us are today the most popular and, sometimes even, the things which are pushed on us the most. I think that should be enough evidence that we have surely lost our way and that what we are told to assume forms the basis for how we should live our lives actually turns out to be counter to what best serves us, both individually and also collectively as a society.

The answers to much of our problems exist, as they always have done, within and through the journey of life and the inevitable path of becoming both through hardship and through abundance and prosperity. Today we have a tendency to be biased towards the things we want, or are told we want and have idealized while neglecting the most important aspects of our existence. In many ways, the elemental aspects of who we are and what it takes to exist on this planet. The aspects that for us here today as modern humans. Or in other words, the hard f*cking work because hey, life is f*cking tough and if you don't have a plan life has a way of teaching you lessons and if you won't heed those lessons you won't live much of a life.