• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Desperate Panic / Anxiety attacks - whose dealt with them and how have you managed them?

I think I’m all done messing around I want my life back.

Just got a call to be a real estate agent in Boston. I’ve sold myself short my entire life it’s about time I go big or go home life is too short

Awesome. To me that really sounds way better than where you were even just a couple of days ago. Almost totally the opposite to the thread you made that seemed to be about just resigning yourself to always being a user and defining yourself as such.

There will always be ups and downs but the downs should not really matter much in the big picture so long as your general trend is upwards and onwards - as it’s starting to sound like from your posts.

I had half a dozen panic attacks back in September/October for the first time since I started in on heavy opiates years ago. They came out of the blue completely, though I see a lot of background stress looking back. The main symptoms were inability to catch my breath and dizziness, plus feelings of unreality and claustrophobia.

During one of the "episodes," I took half of a 0.5mg alprazolam. But even though I had benzos available, I was afraid that taking them would get me dependent again and deplete my stockpile, so I basically toughed it out.

Going outside for fresh air played a big role in helping me, but I share a tiny cluttered studio apartment with another person, so it may not apply. I was also given the suggestion of breathing in deeply through the nose and then exhaling slowly through the mouth, and it helped somewhat too.

Inside, I could never decide what was better: sitting, standing, or laying down. They all seemed to make things better and worse in turn. But a good interior monologue is also pretty helpful, even though it might sound corny. Just repeating to myself "This is not going to kill me, the world is real, everything's going to be OK, etc." did do me some good.

I had half a dozen panic attacks back in September/October for the first time since I started in on heavy opiates years ago. They came out of the blue completely, though I see a lot of background stress looking back. The main symptoms were inability to catch my breath and dizziness, plus feelings of unreality and claustrophobia.

During one of the "episodes," I took half of a 0.5mg alprazolam. But even though I had benzos available, I was afraid that taking them would get me dependent again and deplete my stockpile, so I basically toughed it out.

Going outside for fresh air played a big role in helping me, but I share a tiny cluttered studio apartment with another person, so it may not apply. I was also given the suggestion of breathing in deeply through the nose and then exhaling slowly through the mouth, and it helped somewhat too.

Inside, I could never decide what was better: sitting, standing, or laying down. They all seemed to make things better and worse in turn. But a good interior monologue is also pretty helpful, even though it might sound corny. Just repeating to myself "This is not going to kill me, the world is real, everything's going to be OK, etc." did do me some good.

I also wonder if opiates contributed to this problem. I got my drug test back and it came back for Tramadol and Fentanyl. Tramadol is known to lower the seizure threshold and I wonder if abusing large doses of it and coming off of it caused these panic attacks.

I mean tramadol isn't supposed to be taken in large doses and I was injecting my dope most of the time, sometimes up to 5 grams a day.. so if half of that was tramadol I was shooting 2.5 grams of tramadol a day.. that's not fucking good

I also wonder if opiates contributed to this problem. I got my drug test back and it came back for Tramadol and Fentanyl. Tramadol is known to lower the seizure threshold and I wonder if abusing large doses of it and coming off of it caused these panic attacks.

I mean tramadol isn't supposed to be taken in large doses and I was injecting my dope most of the time, sometimes up to 5 grams a day.. so if half of that was tramadol I was shooting 2.5 grams of tramadol a day.. that's not fucking good
So weird that tramadol is being cut into East Coast fentadope. On top of the xylazine and everything else, it's really turning a mystery-prize grab bag....

But yes, I could see tramadol potentially being responsible for your panic attacks. It acts as a potent SNRI as well a weak opiate, which causes the stimulation that a lot of people notice in the drug (whether they love it or hate it).

Even though some SNRI drugs (like Effexor) are prescribed to treat anxiety, they can also worsen it and maybe even provoke a panic attack. Intuitively it seems like almost any stimulant drug (which tramadol is, at least to an extent) could have panic-inducing properties, some more than others and at different sized doses.

I doubt tramadol powder made up 50% of your dope by weight, but even 5% (250mg) could be enough to cause noticeable effects, especially since it's being IV'd. And at 10% (500mg), you'd be over the maximum daily dose for tramadol.

I should also mention that I had a few of my panic attacks right after doing a good shot of heroin (black tar, so no tramadol likely to be in it), which I found pretty weird.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Tramadol has Very little, but some affinity for GABA receptors.

Well guys I just went to the ER I’m having a severe headache again in my temple and it’s radiating to my jaw and face and the wait was 12 hours there was 50 people in the lobby so I walked out.

If I die from this stroke I love you all and tell my family and girlfriend I’m sorry I tried with everything I had

Well guys I just went to the ER I’m having a severe headache again in my temple and it’s radiating to my jaw and face and the wait was 12 hours there was 50 people in the lobby so I walked out.

If I die from this stroke I love you all and tell my family and girlfriend I’m sorry I tried with everything I had
Damn. I've got my fingers crossed.

I didn't read every post after the opener, so forgive me if I'm repeating what's been said before.
I suffered from panic attacks in my 30s and early 40s. At first I self-medicated with alcohol which definitely made the problem much worse. I finally went to doctors who prescribed various benzodiazepines: Xanax, Klonipin, Ativan, etc...which helped at first but I eagerly used & abused them (often WITH alcohol) and that made things MUCH MUCH worse. Expontentially horrible.
After several rehabs and periods of sobriety intermingled with relapses on various drugs, I finally just sort of "grew out" of my anxiety issues. Hard to explain how that happened.
This much I know: Benzodiazepines are a class of drugs that I have absolutely sworn off forever. There are very few things that I have "sworn off forever," but I have no desire whatsoever to take even one benzo pill ever again.

YMMV

Update I went back to the ER currently waiting it’s definitely a stroke my jaw is numb.

Pray for me please

Might get arrested tonight boys this hospital is really pushing me to the fucking limit denying me proper treatment I’m about to break shit and freak the fuck out.

If I go MIA I’m back in jail

Well for those who haven’t followed my other thread I’ve been experiencing episodes in increasing frequency and intensity.
I suffered from panic attacks for years and almost always at night time. It took a long time for me to recognize that stimulants were the trigger. It was around the same time I quit smoking and cut my caffeine intake down to mornings-only. And those panic attacks ceased completely.

Stupid fucking cunt doctor I’m suing this place for medical malpractice I got a case right here

I’m not sure the reason but it’s either substance abuse related or I had a stroke which is causing it.
Hey.

Please don't mind my asking but why do you think you had a stroke? Symptoms? And on the day that you suspect it happened what did you go through or what exactly happened that day?

Never mind.. No problem. I just looked back on this thread and managed to piece together all.

Last edited:
Nothing like nodding out and being woke up with a face dive to the floor. I broke my nose once too. Youd be surprised how many things this can knock out of align. That's a hard hit. I saw stars...birds...God....Muhammad Ali and the Easter bunny dancing around in circles for 30 mins. Coulda been all the oxy I turned into fairy dust and took up my nose. Who knows. But a hit like that can cause tmj. That alone can explain severe headaches and ear problems leading to balance issues. Just recently found out that my vagus nerve is compressed because I have cervical instability. Great. The vagus nerve is the most important and is involved in just about everything you do. Some of that is for sure from trying to dive into concrete. Sometimes I electrocute myself somehow sending a volt down from ass into the back of my legs. Must be sciatica. Also the mylen sheath around my nerves is damage. I am curious to know how much of this is from 30 years of constamt opiates in my system. Doctors really don't seem to know cause there's really not a whole lot of data involving that long consistently. Especially starting during the development years. I've maintained on suboxone for 10 years now but still. Id make a great case study lol

How's it going? Any improvement?

Update? You doin' better hopefully?

I am doing a lot better minus the fact I got a disorderly conduct arrest while entirely sober. They were trying to charge me with assault on a police officer. I lost it at the hospital ripped my IV out said I'm not here for no fucking FLUIDS I'M HERE FOR CAT SCAN and kicked the IV pole over...

But the headache is gone. Hopefully for good

Got to say done Alprazolam and Xanax --and they have effect on Anxiety but took few cycles of Phenibut and wow that really works. Just remember withdrawals off them can be quite tough! However want total sedation then best and strong effects
I had to once get prescribed because of a painful Back injury. Cyclobenzaprine ; that will relax an elephant. 🥴

Last edited: