• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Pharmacological differences between gabapentin And lyrica

polarthedog

Bluelighter
Okay, so I’m addicted to gabapentin, I’m almost off of it, not asking for help with that.

Point is, I have found that lyrica mainly covers up gabapentin withdrawals, sort of like Valium covers up opiate withdrawals

Also, I don’t think there is any cross tolerance for me

I thought they both affects pretty much the same parts of the brain, like comparing morphine to Vicodin, this has convinced me otherwise

What is the defining difference(s) in how these two drugs affect the brain?

Pregabalin affects the same system that gabapentin does, but it is more potent with a much higher and more consistent absorption. Gabapentin is absorbed via an amino acid transporter in the small intestine, so it is rate-limited, and its absorption is positively affected by having a stomach full of fatty foods, and also by taking an NSAID (which increases gut permeability). Pregabalin will always absorb roughly the same. Also, pregabalin has a stronger effect, it gets you more intoxicated and is trippier/more euphoric. So qualitatively the effects are different even though they are both voltage-gated calcium ion channel blockers.

Pregabalin affects the same system that gabapentin does, but it is more potent with a much higher and more consistent absorption. Gabapentin is absorbed via an amino acid transporter in the small intestine, so it is rate-limited, and its absorption is positively affected by having a stomach full of fatty foods, and also by taking an NSAID (which increases gut permeability). Pregabalin will always absorb roughly the same. Also, pregabalin has a stronger effect, it gets you more intoxicated and is trippier/more euphoric. So qualitatively the effects are different even though they are both voltage-gated calcium ion channel blockers.
That’s what I thought, but I felt high from the lyrica, but I still felt all the gabapentin withdrawals. For that t be true, their must be receptors that gabapentin hits that lyrica doesn’t .