The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Pharmacy shuts down overnight...

cripkeeper

Bluelighter
Please forgive me, I know this is not the right forum for such a thing but I had no idea where else...?

So my pharmacy is a local sole proprietorship, relatively good size, stays very busy. I became a customer shortly after it's opening because it was close to home and I like the everyone knows you atmosphere. You don't wait in line for an hour yada...

Of course it was closed by 6 and on weekends so it had its both sides.

Over the years I've pretty much gotten all my meds there, the good ones and the not so fun ones.

Never had an issue, whether it was my controlled prescriptions or non controlled.

Anyway so last week I go in for a refill of prescribed clonazepam, and go home as usual.

Today I received a letter in the mail from the pharmacy, an open letter to all his customers that said he'd decided to close down shop and all our current meds had been transferred to a nearby chain pharmacy.

I called the new pharmacy to check and they had all my stuff.

Has anyone ever heard or seen anything like a pharmacy just going out overnight with no explanations to anyone?

I don't think it's anything close to any foul play... I just wonder the reason for doing something like that??

The correct forum is probably north and south american drug discussion, I've given a nudge to the lounge mods to consider moving your thread over there for you. <3

I'm sorry you're going through this. They really should have to give better notice. I'm not familiar with something like this happening myself though. :(

Thanks. It's no real issue for me really. All my meds are at least accounted for. But yeah definitely would have liked some notice and complete choice on wherever they transfer to.

It was just so weird and mysterious to get a letter that literally said "We've decided to close our doors,". That's all, the rest is info about the new pharmacy. Strange shit.

Independent pharmacies have been being swallowed up by chains for years now. They simply cannot be competitive when it comes to pricing anymore due to them not being afforded the same discounts from pharmaceutical companies. Couple that with increases in just about everything else and, well, probably just no longer profitable or prudent for them to stay open.

As for them not giving notice or details: you're talking about a level of service or caring or compassion that no longer exists dude. I'm surprised you even got a mail. Only official notice I've ever received in a case like this was a sign in the window upon arrival at said pharmacy that they've closed down. Only exception has been where the pharmacist has moved to said chain as well and has been desirous of keeping their client base. "Oh: so you're here now" type of thing! 🤣

True too.
I also can't imagine the insane details that would go into dissolving a pharmacy let alone transferring each and everything.

Guess it would be hard to reach out to every individual unfortunately.

It's sad in a way. I feel a loss. That pharmacy has always been there for me for things I needed and well other things.

I'm no stranger to large pharmacies but my guy and I talked our favorite football team everytime I went in

He knew what I took, and he watched out. I kinda feel "lonely, lol"

To certain people, that'll make sense.

True too.
I also can't imagine the insane details that would go into dissolving a pharmacy let alone transferring each and everything.

Guess it would be hard to reach out to every individual unfortunately.

It's sad in a way. I feel a loss. That pharmacy has always been there for me for things I needed and well other things.

I'm no stranger to large pharmacies but my guy and I talked our favorite football team everytime I went in

He knew what I took, and he watched out. I kinda feel "lonely, lol"

To certain people, that'll make sense.
I know how you feel.

I had the same GP for 40 years or more and he retired last year. And I never even received a love letter informing me! No more free scripts or doctor's notes when required anymore. His replacement is great but fuck me he does nothing for nothing that's for sure.

It's odd. Also a sense of loss to be honest. And it's not like I saw my doc. often i.e. not even once per year. Even been years worth of gaps between visits. But it's like he was always just there and the thought of his not being around anymore is just something that never crossed my mind!

Him and his partner started out, straight from med. school, in their own private practice. And then one fine day, many years ago, they closed the practice and moved into one of these chain type clinics. I remember asking him how come. Just made fiscal sense he said i.e. more patients, didn't have pay admin. staff anymore, you get the picture. And of course they share in the profits of the establishment as a whole (including the in-house pharmacy) and whatever else. And he still got to play golf every Wednesday! 🤣

Sad though. I know how you feel as I say. Dude been through all my shit with me over the years (some of it his own doing if the truth be told i.e. to this day I know more about certain pharmaceuticals than he does I'm sure) (but still love the dude to death). And been through all of the usual ailments of my (now deceased) folks. You get the picture I'm sure.

As for these pharmacy chains though. Dunno. Aside from being impersonal: while they may get the discounts they sure don't seem to pass the same on. One of the few independent pharmacies left here near to me went that route not too long ago as well. Although they've stayed open though i.e. just got swallowed up into a big medical group (new branding is all that changed) but prices seem to have gone up not down.

There's definitely a lot to be said for the personal touch in this business though. What irks me is that these chains operate by the book. If you have a repeat prescription for something they will not fucking dispense early no matter what the reason. You know. You could just happen to be at the shopping center in which they're located and think well I'm here now so may as well get whatever while I'm here (for next month). Not a fuck. Come back tomorrow because that's exactly a month since your last visit according to the system. And I'm not even a substance abuser. Go figure.

Oh well. I suppose we'll end up in the not too distant future where none of this will be applicable i.e. end up with some type of kiosk or vending machine that'll diagnose everything and dispense medications as it deems fit. 🤣

my story is a little different, i would hit up a semi local pharmacy because they had good prices on a otc med. then one week the whole building was gone and a condo came there a few months later.

Yes, these things do happen. The independent in my town closed down and transferred everyone's shit to CVS. I said fuck that and have mine at another mom and pop 50 miles away and just have them mail me my meds. I'd rather pay $5 for shipping than even step foot inside CVS. If it's an emergency I'll go to CVS and wait but in 3 years of living here I've never needed to do that. Fuck CVS--last time I went I made a huge mess just to fuck with them because they were so rude about filling a narcotic script. Like, I wouldn't be in pain if had the choice you fucking cocksmoker. I wish I could have reached across the counter and dragged that fucker into the aisle before removing every single one of their fingers and toes.

It causes so much stress on the customer.. ugh.
Least, I take something in knowing I'm not the only one.

This must be more common than you'd think for whatever reasons.