• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Pregnant...8 months of oxycodone daily...3 weeks clean now...suffered no withdrawals

Hey, DalaiMama. I'm so glad to hear about your healthy baby...congrats!

As to your question about your lack of WD symptoms, it's certainly surprising that acute WDs weren't worse for you. But it's amazing how different withdrawal is, both from person to person and even from one kick to another for a given person. Add in the intensely changing body chemistry of the 35-week pregnancy and all bets are off in terms of predicting what will or won't happen.

I'm just very glad for you and your baby that things seem to have turned out for the best.

Do you have any thoughts on how you'll maximize your chances of staying away from opioids now?

Thank you for checking in with us Dalai! It is so nice to hear from you :)

Perhaps, thank god, you habit wasn't as severe as we might have feared it was? As simco said, everyone is different and we all have slightly different relationships with opioid use/tolerance/dependency/withdrawal given our specific circumstances, environment, genetics, etc.

In any case, super glad to hear you are doing well <3

p.s. I merged your two threads so folks can get a better sense of what you have been dealing with. Keep you're head up mama to be!!!! :D

I will never touch another pill again, it's so much better being clean no more constipation or sleeping all day I feel so much better mentally and physically....

your not kidding! ive had my share of opioid constipation. I feel the same way about never touching another pain pill again. Best of luck to you and the new baby coming!

Hello I am new to bluelight but your post caught my attention in a big way!!

I too am a long time opiate abuser who never thought I could have a child. Many previous female conditions left drs telling me i couldnt get pregnant from the age of 18 so imagine my surprise at age 30 when i find myself expecting a child!!

Overjoyed doesnt describe how i felt at 15 weeks when i took my first positive pregnancy test and i am proud to say i quit all opiates that very moment as i handed my stash of pills to my husband and said good bye. Other than being extra tired (which i suppose could have came from being pregnant) i had no withdrawal symptoms either!!

I mean I was always unable to stop due to the brutal few days of being sick as I was unable to hack it and always went and found more drugs to feel well again. Well not during pregnancy my friend, the symptoms just never came!! So imagine my joy at being able to spend the remaining weeks of gestation healthy and clean for my child.

However fast forward to now (one year later) and i am right back to where i started. Following a very complicated delivery i was rx pain pills and you know how the story goes from there. So i put all this effort into wanting to be a sober mom only to end up doing exactly what i said i wouldnt.

That is why i had to repsond to your post! Please take it from someone who hates the vicious cycle they are in.. Do not, i repeat Do Not accept any narcotics following delivery as it will not end well!! And that "get out of jail free card" that comes from a simple cold turkey during pregancny does not follow after baby is out of you and you try to quit again!

I wish to God I would have walked away because I struggle daily now to be the mom i wanted to be and wasted my chance at recovery when my withdrawals were so minimal during pregnancy as they are certainly not that way now. Best of luck to you and your bundle of joy and please consider this post when your dr offers to send you home with a script. God Bless!
Multi-Quote This Message

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your post Desperately Trying, and welcome to BL! Your post made me feel like I needed to insert a little public service announcement type disclaimer on this general topic (it isn't really directed towards you Desperately Trying, or anyone else, just something that is important to keep in mind):

Detoxing while pregnant can be very dangerous for the fetus. It is imperative that anyone who is opioid dependent and finds out they are pregnant work with their OBGYN/professional healthcare provider to ensure their own wellbeing and that of their future child.

Everyone's situation is different and each individual needs to have their specific circumstances and substance use accounted for with this kind of thing. For some with more moderate habits, a quick taper or detox while pregnant is appropriate, but for others it is necessary to use an ORT based treatment at least until the pregnancy comes to term. Opioids are far less dangerous to a developing zygote/fetus than the shock to the system of kicking a large habit.

There are other benefits to getting on ORT for opioid dependent women as well. The potential for relapse following delivery and the need for a certain degree of stability to support the transition into early parenthood is also a good reason to look into the treatment. Your experience with pain medication following delivery points to this.

I apologize for getting off track. This is a great thread. What happened after you were prescribed opioids following delivery Desperately Trying? Have you been able to find success or move forward in other ways since?

Last edited by a moderator: