• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Prozac and other antidepressants

Afaik more relevant than what and when you eat (as long as it's no excess, or alcohol) are hormones. They decide about anabolism or lipogenesis and so maybe when one didn't take up stuff due to vomiting, the body is more keen to produce fat from later meals. Fat tissue also has the bad habit of staying around forever, even after losing weight but yeah I've been curious about these super thin anorectics, and thought it could help me as well (DON'T DO IT). Guess I'll go the amphetamine road. Meth lasts for too long and interferes with sleep, also it's neurotoxic while plain amphetamine isn't and is widely used for ADHD (which I have, just here no single fucking doc so far was willing to prescribe.)

Afaik more relevant than what and when you eat (as long as it's no excess, or alcohol) are hormones. They decide about anabolism or lipogenesis and so maybe when one didn't take up stuff due to vomiting, the body is more keen to produce fat from later meals.
thank you!! that makes sense.

i was R, i just couldn't eat for the life of me. which is why its so weird to me that now i have the opposite problem.

i know, fucking sucks but what makes no sense to me is that when i was living at my parents i started purging my dinner, i would try not to flush cos it makes me feel unwell very quickly but i'd get as much as i could out and i still didn't lose. i didn't replace those calories (to my knowledge) by eating more earlier in the day. i usually assume CICO is king but that makes me doubt it. then when i moved into my new place i told my boyf straight up so he'd get on my back if i did it, so stopped, massively increased my drinking. and lost 5 lbs in a month without even attempting to. like wtf?!?

I was diagnosed with BN, AN restrictive and AN b/p at different times (orthorexia once after I went vegan, then raw vegan, then eventually fruitarian). But An b/p was the main one.

I find purging works to VERY different levels with different people. Some people actually gain weight b/ping. I would literally eat up to 24,000 calories a day and was steadily losing 2-3lbs a week.

Afaik more relevant than what and when you eat (as long as it's no excess, or alcohol) are hormones. They decide about anabolism or lipogenesis and so maybe when one didn't take up stuff due to vomiting, the body is more keen to produce fat from later meals. Fat tissue also has the bad habit of staying around forever, even after losing weight but yeah I've been curious about these super thin anorectics, and thought it could help me as well (DON'T DO IT). Guess I'll go the amphetamine road. Meth lasts for too long and interferes with sleep, also it's neurotoxic while plain amphetamine isn't and is widely used for ADHD (which I have, just here no single fucking doc so far was willing to prescribe.)

Bulimia also reduced your metabolism by 20% on average. Like so even if you stopped binging and purging. Say you and your friend were the same height, weight, sex etc and your friend could eat 2000 calories a day to maintain weight. YOU would only be able to eat 1600 calories a day to maintain weight.
^Not permanent, obv.

I destroyed 95% of my pancreas and it's a blessing/curse as now I can eat as much carbs/sugar as I want and lose weight (by not taking my insulin) but it causes ridiculous damage to your body. Just trying to be healthy rn.

i was R, i just couldn't eat for the life of me. which is why its so weird to me that now i have the opposite problem.

i know, fucking sucks but what makes no sense to me is that when i was living at my parents i started purging my dinner, i would try not to flush cos it makes me feel unwell very quickly but i'd get as much as i could out and i still didn't lose. i didn't replace those calories (to my knowledge) by eating more earlier in the day. i usually assume CICO is king but that makes me doubt it. then when i moved into my new place i told my boyf straight up so he'd get on my back if i did it, so stopped, massively increased my drinking. and lost 5 lbs in a month without even attempting to. like wtf?!?

CICO is 100% king btw. But things like your metabolism going back to normal, fluid retention going away etc can take a while after an ED. It is a biological impossibility not to lose weight on a calorie deficit.

CICO is 100% king btw. But things like your metabolism going back to normal, fluid retention going away etc can take a while after an ED. It is a biological impossibility not to lose weight on a calorie deficit.
for the most part yes but there are exceptions. like i dunno if you've ever had hypermetabolism but i have in IP once and it was nuts. the staff refused to believe i wasn't purging. though i guess in that case your still in a calorie deficit cos your needs have gone through the roof.... so actually no there probably are not exceptions outside of serious medical problems.

for the most part yes but there are exceptions. like i dunno if you've ever had hypermetabolism but i have in IP once and it was nuts. the staff refused to believe i wasn't purging. though i guess in that case your still in a calorie deficit cos your needs have gone through the roof.... so actually no there probably are not exceptions outside of serious medical problems.

Yeah, there are rare exceptions but 99.99% of the time it's CICO. I was never diagnosed hypermetabolism because it was a time I recovered by myself, but I maintained like 105lb on 3000-3500 calories a day for a while.

Almost definitely the Respiridone. AP's - especially atypicals - can cause significant weight gain. Olanzapine and Quetiapine are the worst (I've heard of people gained literally 100lbs), but Rispiridone can cause significant weight gain.
Prozac (Fluoxetine) is the one AD that actually causes weight loss.
And Wellbutrin. At least for me.

Don't become anorexic! I was, weighed 80lbs. Not a good look. Shit, that's when I was first put on antidepressants. The old school tricyclics. Those bitches made me eat anything that wasn't nailed down.
Not even joking. I think my grandma spent the better part of a night fixing most every damn thing she had in her cupboards. I went from 80 to 160, in like, a few months. Hated it. Stopped on my own
and the weight sloooooowly came off.

And Wellbutrin. At least for me.
Well, bupropion makes a shitty antidepressant for me, maybe it's just nocebo since I know the chemical structure which is basically the worst cathinone currently available, also it's a lie that it was a NDRI, the compound gets metabolized first-pass into norhydroxybupropion, which is purely noradrenergic and I'm prone to anxiety/panic so it's not for me.. but yeah, makes less appetite and less desire to smoke, for smoking cessation it's indeed useful.

Bulimia also reduced your metabolism by 20% on average.
I don't/didn't have bulimia, so this doesn't apply to me.

Stopped on my own
Good to hear that weight comes off - did you make exercise? I'm having a hard time motivating me to do so, also read that one needs to do heavy lifting etc. for achieving a relevant calorie burning.. but I became lethargic the last times, before I had a dog and was every day ~2h out for walking. Yet tricyclics are different and worse than SSRIs, the antihistamine component makes one hungry as hell, experienced this on mirtazapine - the strongest antihistamine available - that I wanted to eat anything and specially carbs.

Don't become anorexic! I was, weighed 80lbs. Not a good look. Shit, that's when I was first put on antidepressants. The old school tricyclics. Those bitches made me eat anything that wasn't nailed down.
Not even joking. I think my grandma spent the better part of a night fixing most every damn thing she had in her cupboards. I went from 80 to 160, in like, a few months. Hated it. Stopped on my own

You're lucky you didn't get re-feeding syndrome!

Well, bupropion makes a shitty antidepressant for me, maybe it's just nocebo since I know the chemical structure which is basically the worst cathinone currently available, also it's a lie that it was a NDRI, the compound gets metabolized first-pass into norhydroxybupropion, which is purely noradrenergic and I'm prone to anxiety/panic so it's not for me.. but yeah, makes less appetite and less desire to smoke, for smoking cessation it's indeed useful.

I don't/didn't have bulimia, so this doesn't apply to me.

Good to hear that weight comes off - did you make exercise? I'm having a hard time motivating me to do so, also read that one needs to do heavy lifting etc. for achieving a relevant calorie burning.. but I became lethargic the last times, before I had a dog and was every day ~2h out for walking. Yet tricyclics are different and worse than SSRIs, the antihistamine component makes one hungry as hell, experienced this on mirtazapine - the strongest antihistamine available - that I wanted to eat anything and specially carbs.
I hated being overweight. I didn't want to look skeletal either. I didn't start to recover until I saw a polaroid picture (do you know what a polaroid pic is??!) of myself so wasted away. Then it started to sink in what was going on. But really, anorexia has nothing to do with food or the denial of. It's psychological. It's about control. And I felt stripped of all control. So, food was the only thing I could
control. And I mastered it. I really just wanted to disappear. Anyway, I was very young, 19. So, I had youth on my side and that helped get the weight off. I have always been active. Sold my car
and walk and bike everywhere. I started taking Wellbutrin in the mornings, to combat the side effects of my Celexa...sexual side effects. For me, its a great combo. I also take xanax. But I am tapering
off of it.
Good luck to you. Yeah, those carbs! I wanted carbs most of all.

WTF is re-feeding syndrome???????

Karen Carpenter died of it.
After months of starvation, suddenly eating significantly more can kill you by heart attack. It can also cause you to retain extreme amounts of fluids and seriously fuck your electrolytes. It's very dangerous. It's just way too huge a shock for an already severely weakened body/heart to take. That's why in inpatient they'll usually increase your calories s-l-o-w-l-y. In extreme cases of people who have been starving for years and/or are literally skeletal, they initially increase their current intake by as little as 15 calories a day.

Karen Carpenter died of it.
After months of starvation, suddenly eating significantly more can kill you by heart attack. It can also cause you to retain extreme amounts of fluids and seriously fuck your electrolytes. It's very dangerous. It's just way too huge a shock for an already severely weakened body/heart to take. That's why in inpatient they'll usually increase your calories s-l-o-w-l-y. In extreme cases of people who have been starving for years and/or are literally skeletal, they initially increase their current intake by as little as 15 calories a day.
That makes sense. At the time, I'm not really sure what scared me into eating again. I was starting to have palpitations, which I have since learned, I have an arrhythmia. When I was denying myself, I thought the palpitations were the onset of a heart 'event' and THAT did freak me out. So, along with the desipramine or imipramine, cannot remember which one I was on, the heart shit scared me
into eating. And because I had been surviving on maybe 300 calories a day for months...I wanted to EAT IT ALL!!!!

So glad I came out of that dark tunnel. Of course, I found my way into a darker one:cool:

sometimes taking antidepressants became a huge problem, and this is really similar to drug addiction.
Oh yeah. I was hooked on some most of my adult life which is 15 years now from which at least for 10 I took one or another antidepressant, mostly the SNRI venlafaxine, and was unable to stop despite countless attempts. Finally now with switching to fluoxetine and tapering that I hope to having quit for good. I feel much more energy, wake up refreshed after just a few hours of sleep when before I was still tired after 12h, and the depression has lifted. It was indeed antidepressants making me lethargic and depressed. Unfortunately some positive effects (for me) like blunted emotions are gone too.

Withdrawal from venlafaxine is strikingly similar to low-medium strength opioid/narcotic withdrawal. Diarrhea, restlessness, fatigue, irritability, nausea etc. Just add horrific brain zaps. So happy this is over and I'll never take an antidepressant lightly again. Was harder to quit than morphine in some ways.

Just the belly still remains of course and the slight tits (had fourfold elevated prolactin) and from what I know these will remain 😐 also still feel irritable or nervous after some days without an antidepressant..

Last edited: