• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Psilocybin and trip anxiety

Are mushroom trips more prone to anxiety than other psychedelics?

• YES, they do

Votes: 174 61.7%
  • NO, they do not

Votes: 108 38.3%

• Total voters

Church

Bluelighter
As requested by Jamshyd, here is a poll on whether or not mushrooms cause more anxiety than other psychedelics. Enjoy!

Jamshyd said:
FOR BETTER ACCURACY, PLEASE ONLY POST IF YOU HAVE TAKEN PSILOCYBE MUSHROOMS AND ANY OTHER PSYCHEDELIC (SEPARATELY) AT LEAST ONCE EACH BEFORE!! THANKS.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot church :)

Wow, this poll is just 1/2 an hour old and the results are already striking!

I voted yes, but the anxiety is only present during the transition phase. With mushrooms I have a sometimes borderline panic attack during the come-ups. It is very nerve wracking until I have fully reached the plateau.

I would have to add that I feel like I am very sensitive to mushrooms. 2 grams is enough for a full blown +++ experience with patterns completely obscuring my field and a head that can do nothing but deeply introspect while the body lays alternately inert/writhing on the ground.

I get trip anxiety but I'm not qualified to say whether it's stronger with mushrooms or not. Actually, what's made it stronger for me is when the trip has been coming up in the daytime. I'm a lot more comfortable at night with the end of the trip at around dawn.

My last 2 goes with shrooms were fairly low doses but the anxiety was high in comparason. Still this could be set and setting causing this. The first of the 2 was morning, I was feeling really low and wanted to see if the mushrooms would help me rethink. The anxiety just made me feel worse that morning. The second of these I took a very low dose before work, hoping to make xmas eve a bit more interesting. It was just unfortunate that a new colleague that I don't like was working that night and trying very hard to wind me up. Anxiety again, but not really the mushroom's fault.

I'm abstaining, sorry.

Maybe I'm being pendantic, but I don't think I can say mushrooms produce or cause more anxiety in me, they simply make me more more susceptable to anxiety. I can still have a mushroom trip with no anxiety at all, contingent on set and setting, its just harder.

They so reliably make me an anxious wreck as they kick in, that I have to pre-dose with a small amount of a benzo to take them. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting at home listening to music, at a party, or off in the magical and beautiful hills around me, they always make me very nervous.

It tends to pass with the peak, but I've come to look at them as something I've got to move on from. Mushrooms used to be my favorite psychedelic, but its really hard for me to take them these days.

I will likely try again with or pre-dosing on MDMA, as it seems to reduce that sort of issue with almost any psychedelic I've mixed it with.

I voted no even though they do cause more anxiety than most psychedelics. For me, the anxiety is based on three things: (1) set/setting and (2) the chemical and (3) the dose. As far as psychedelics go, I'd say 2C-E, DPT, and high doses of just about anything make me more anxious than my average shroom trip. I think the same will go for my first experiment with 2C-P, DOM, AMT or any other potentially ass kicking psychedelic.

There is some truth to the mushroom anxiety though. It's usually more of a disorienting experience than say LSD or most phens.

gloggawogga said:
I'm abstaining, sorry.

Maybe I'm being pendantic, but I don't think I can say mushrooms produce or cause more anxiety in me, they simply make me more more susceptable to anxiety. I can still have a mushroom trip with no anxiety at all, contingent on set and setting, its just harder.

If you think the question can be worded better, please feel free to do so (any mod can alter it, no?). From the info I'm seeking, you'd definitely fall under the "yes" category.

EDIT: ok, after Don's reply, I'm going to have to request the wording of question be changed to "are mushroom trips more prone to anxiety than other psychedelics"?

I don't find mushrooms give me more anxiety than other psychedelics. If anything I'd say for me its a bit less.
Countless studies, a higher LD50 than caffeine and thousands of years of safe shamanic use, make me much less nervous to take mushrooms than some little researched synthetic psychedelic of questionable purity.

e1evene1even said:
I don't find mushrooms give me more anxiety than other psychedelics. If anything I'd say for me its a bit less.
Countless studies, a higher LD50 than caffeine and thousands of years of safe shamanic use, make me much less nervous to take mushrooms than some little researched synthetic psychedelic of questionable purity.

Well, w/ me, its not an anticipation or preoccupation with effects of the mushrooms that give me anxiety, it is the drug itself. I'm aware of all the toxicity stuff, and I am more experienced with them any other psychedelic.

I've also gone way over the top and taken 8g of pretty strong stuff, and eaten quarter sacks fairly frequently. Thats not dicksizing - it very well might have something to do with the anxiety they provoke. I've had experiences that went way beyond mind-shattering, to the point where it felt like I lived out entire alternate lives while under the influence. Its really a lot to soak in.

Mushrooms cause the most anxiety for me than anything I have ever touched, I can't even eat them anymore because of that.

I voted Yes because my only real 'freak outs' were on shrooms. However I think you should add an option for uncertainty. If there was an option of "I dont know" i would have picked that.

The one time I have had shrooms (2-3g, was the shake) there was intense anxiety on the come up, but gone once I started tripping. I can't say that I am experienced enough with shrooms to say whether or not the trip itself is causes more anxiety, but, the come up definately does.

I voted yes as the coming up stage with mushrooms seens to have a stop-go-stop quality to it. I get to the point where you get a massive surge and everything changes rapidly then it almost stops and just when you think you're going to be OK, off it goes again. Fit's the rollercoaster analogy better than any other psychedelic I can think of.

I'm not sure if the start-stop nature of the trip is due to the way the fungi break down in the gut or the drug itself, but I think the times that I've had mushroom tea in the past it also had the start-stop nature. Add that to the fact that mushrooms always make me feel queasy & I'd say it's the most anxiety provoking of all the psychedelics I usually come across

^ For sure (edit: meant for fenfen), the comeup is unnerving I think. At least for solid doses.

Though in the past, it would always mellow out about an hour-hour and a half in. Then everything would just chill out all the sudden, I'd be at peace with the world, everything would become fucking hilarious and happy-go-lucky, I'd climb on top of the refrigerator and eat popsicles, roll int he grass and just have the best time ever.

I don't know if its that I abused them, which I really did taking them every weekend or more for most of a year, or that I started taking monstrous doses for no reason other than to experience that kind of power, or what.

I feel like it probably plays a part at least. The initial anxiety seemed to be a progressive thing. For a while, I noticed nothing of the sort.

You people that do find them anxiety inducing? Did you ever take them very frequently, or was it always like that?

Well I personally have only taken shrooms once in my life.

It was after I have had experience with a number of other psychedelics, including DPT. I started panicking for no reason during the comeup - never happened before - and I found mushrooms very much like a roller-coaster too, I express that in the trip report above.

The come up on ayahuasca and with smoking 5-meo-dmt is far far worse in me. Lsd also gives me more anxiety than psilocybin, so does 2c-i, but alot of that is due to over-stimulation I think

i voted no, and i have an anxiety disorder for what its worth.

can't really articulate, just feels comfortable and natural, and i always *know* i'll be ok. unlike salvia or too much DOI where i feel instant terror and my psyche goes into reactionary mode. something about the gradual pace, and the moments of clarity afforded here and there make shrooms tolerable for me. they can be dark and emotional but never panic attack inducing.

i've never had an unresolved shroom-trip issue either ... things always seem to work themselves out. never had to abort, but never ventured beyond 3.5g.

I have never really had to abort a psilocybin trip, even at 6g+. I KNOW that I am in no physical danger, so it is much more diffacult to panic.