• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Psychedelic Safety: Guidance on difficult experiences & dangerous combinations

Why is Depakote have a warning with tryptamines? I use it for mood and not seizures so is it safe to say I can do LSD while still taking valproic acid?

The substance taken must match the setting. While rolling around in bed on 6 grams of mushrooms may feel like a full body orgasm, doing so with Psychedelic amphetamines is a terrible idea.
Last time I got my ass kicked by any drug was with 5 mg DOM and 250 mcg LSD. I thought the "amphetamine" aspect of the DOM would make me really want to draw and that I would be satisfied in doing so alone. I had tons of coloured pencils. My confidence came from taking the stuff and having a great time while hiking.
I had a really bad time. I was so hyper-stimulated during my peak that (while experiencing near ego death) I had to clean my bathroom to get myself to calm down. I was just absolutely over stimulated. It felt impossible to sit down, I kept forgetting why I sat down and found myself standing again. I felt a powerful sense to do things, but was also in the midst of a profoundly confusing headspace. I ended up pacing for an hour of the peak until the LSD wore off.
Morale of the story is don't do DOx without something physical to do, otherwise you'll reach a point of meaningless anxiety.

That's a good point; a benzo sensitive individual may black out and do otherwise unsafe activities.

Just before I got clean recently I ate a load of counterfeit Xanax bars and blacked out. I’m not benzo sensitive (at all, I have been dependent for years at multiple times in my life) they were just fucking strong, I ate maybe two or three and then I don’t remember anything else.

I woke up in bed about twelve hours later tripping my bollocks off and soaked in piss. The twelve tabs of acid I had stashed were gone, the rest of the bottle of liquid acid I had was gone and the half gram of dmt I had were gone. I couldn’t find any of the counterfeit Xanax bars left either so I ate at least ten of them too. When I looked through the gallery on my phone looking for clues I found a photo of my bellend with a couple of tabs on it 🤔🤷. They weren’t still there.

To make all of this just particularly excellent my father was visiting at the time, the last thing I remember was eating food with him and doing a couple of bars and then I have vague memories of trying to get him to smoke dmt (he hasn’t done anything stronger than a glass of whisky since the 70s). After that no memories until waking up in the morning still very fucked. He was very (perhaps too?) understanding and basically pretended nothing had happened and helped me wash my piss soaked bed clothes. I didn’t ask for details of what happened…

So yeah, be careful with benzos (especially ones filled with mystery rc benzos) even if you aren’t sensitive because as you say one can do ‘unsafe activities’ 👍👍👍😂

How does the psychedelic experience(LSD or Shrooms) feel when affected by stimulants like coke or meth? I’m asking for firsthand bad experiences. Thank you BL.

Your problem was likely that you smoked weed during it. Weed is known for hugely increasing the strength of trips, and in particular it often causes trips that were going fine to go south for those who are not very experienced. I'd say MDMA should be fine. Most likely you just experienced a very difficult trip because of several factors: you smoked during it, you weren't very experienced yet, and it sounds like your setting was bad. You were out and about in the world and sudden;y got in over your head. had you been at home, safe, with no outside influences, you may have had a beautiful trip instead. I've had trips before that were terrifying, I once believed I had ended the universe, contemplating killing myself because I believed if the trip reached its conclusion all existence would be undone. It was terrifying, yes, but I don't consider it a bad trip. In fact, in retrospect I learned a lot and it's one of my most noteworthy and memorable trips. I think you've freaked yourself out, but such a view is not necessary to take. It sounds like you have a touch of PTSD.

If you're too scared about it, then don't do MDMA, because the mind is a powerful thing. But, I think you should be able to view your LSD experience differently if you try. Hey, you're fine now, right? You're not in hell, you were just tripping. :) Everyone, if they trip enough, has experiences like that. You just have to realize that it was just a trip, and not worry about it so much.

I couldn’t imagine contemplating killing yourself while tripping. I’m fact that’s probably my biggest concern about tripping is that I’m afraid that I might lose complete control and either hurt someone unintentionally or ending up in a trip like you described. I’ve only tripped on psilocybin though so I’m not sure if that risk is still really that great.

I read a news article that included psilocybin in the same risk category as LSD. That doesn’t make sense to me because there are reputable clear net vendors of psilocybin that I have personally been using and correct me if I’m wrong but the biggest concern with acid is that we don’t truly know how much we are taking in most cases or if it’s an entirely different chemical. I guess you can get test kits for that, but how would you determine the dose?

Anyway, in the article she was listing all the incidents of someone murdering themselves or their girlfriend or thinking they can fly and jumping out the window. One guy mutikated himself if you know what I mean BUT that one said the substance was undetermined. I have heard of that happening with PCP but ya know I think PCP gets a bad rep and like most drugs I think if used responsibly is likely a good drug. What do they say, the dose is the poison or something like that? I think I butchered it.

So, there were no incidents in this article that reported psilocybin users killing themselves, or someone else, or chopping off their well you know. And yet, she had statement that made it seem like psilocybin caused this too.

It’s difficult to determine what is true or not with all the propaganda out their from the bullshit war on drugs.

I’m just wondering how did you talk yourself down when you were considering it? I mean my wife will be here with me and sober, but she can’t stop me physically and that concerns me. I don’t ever think of hurting others. Ever. But in the past I had alot of suicidal ideation and a few weak attempts. I am in a good headspace these days but just want to be prepared. Any advice?

Should I have her tie me to the bed post before I start tripping 😂? Just kidding. That would likely cause a difficult trip. Though I’m fine with difficult trips too. Only thing I consider a bad trip is if someone gets hurt or I decided to call my mom while I was tripping lol. That would suck. Unrelated, but last time I tripped I was have a yearning to be a little kid again because i missed being innocent, before experiencing and conditioning changed me, and I yearned for the unconditional love I felt then by my parents. Anyway, I was having images of this and I was curled up in the fetal position asking my wife to please put on a lullaby on YouTube while she was caressing my head trying to soothe me Lol. And she wouldn’t do it because she told me she was thinking that I was going to start thinking she’s my mom and we would never have sex again 😂.

Sorry this post is so long but I have no one to talk to about this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Working Through and Benefiting From Difficult Psychedelic Experiences

Humans have consumed psychedelics thousands of years in religious, recreational, medicinal, and psychotherapeutic capacities. These experiences often result in fluctuations in mood, auditory distortions, visual distortion, and synethesia. These effects could potentially create both positive enjoyable experiences and difficult experiences too.

Difficult psychedelic experiences have the potential of being, with proper care, some of the most beneficial. Here our goal is providing resources on working through and benefiting from difficult psychedelic experiences. Please give this a second look. Perhaps you'll encounter such experiences and having reviewed these resource could be useful in the long run.

https://www.fest300.com/magazine/how-to-help-someone-who-s-tripping-out-at-a-festival

Zendo Project Psychedelic Harm Reduction - Training

[video=youtube_share;CphDzpr8wL8]

Other resources are available here.

List of Dangerous & Potentially Unsafe Combinations

Here we'll try to keep a list of combinations of drugs that aren't safe to take in combination. This will be a work in progress & this list will not be exhaustive, so please still research things thoroughly before you ingest them!

Thanks to SurvivedAbortion for getting the ball rolling on this thread!

If your combination is not in the list, or you would like to ask about a specific combination or discuss potentially dangerous/risky combinations, or even make suggestions for this thread, please visit the Dangerous Combination Discussion Thread.

It would also be wise to check out the Medication & Supplement Interaction Thread for further information on medication reactions beyond simply stating whether a combination is dangerous or not.

If you see anything wrong in this list or something that needs to be added, please either post in the above thread, or PM one of the PD moderators and we'll get right on it.

Table of Contents
You can use the find/search function (Ctrl + F) to search for any of the sections mentioned in the contents and quickly find dangerous combinations for these drugs.
Known Dangerous Combinations​
  • lMAOIs
  • SSRI/SNRI antidepressants
  • Anticonvulsants
  • Beta-blockers
  • Triptans
  • 5-HTP
  • Alcohol
  • Ibogaine
  • Serotonin releasers
  • Stimulants

Potentially/Likely Dangerous Combinations​
  • Serotonin releasers
  • Stimulants

Known Dangerous Combinations

MAOIs (e.g. Phenelzine, Tranylcypramine, Selegiline):

X All phenthylamine psychedelics (e.g. DOx, 2C-x, 3C-x, TMA-x, 25x-NBOMe)
X aMT (alpha-Methyltryptamine)
X MDxx (e.g. MDMA, MDA, MDEA)
X Other serotonin releasers (e.g. 6-APB, 5-APB, 5-API, 5-IAI, MDAI)
X All cathinones
X DXM (Dextromethorphan)
X Ibogaine
X SSRI/SNRI antidepressants (e.g. Sertraline, Seroxat)
X Methoxetamine
X Tramadol
X 5-HTP

SSRI/SNRI antidepressants (e.g. Sertraline, Seroxat):

X 2C-T-7
X Ayahuasca/Pharmahuasca
X Other MAOIs (e.g. Phenelzine, Selegiline)
X DXM (Dextromethorphan)
X Ibogaine
X Tramadol
X 5-HTP

Anticonvulsants (e.g. Lithium, Valproate):

X All classical psychedelics (5HT-2a agonists like LSD, mushrooms, 2C-B)
X All phenethylamines
X Ibogaine

Beta-blockers (e.g. Propranolol, Atenolol):

X All stimulants and empathogens (e.g. Amphetamine, Cocaine, MDMA, Mephedrone)
X LSD/LSA
X Datura/Belladonna/Brugmansia

Triptans (e.g. Sumatriptan, Rizatriptan, Zolmitriptan):

X aMT
X 2C-T-7
X Ayahuasca/Pharmahuasca
X LSD/LSA

5-HTP:

X 2C-T-7
X Ayahuasca/Pharmahuasca
X All SSRIs/SNRIs (e.g. Sertraline, Seroxat)

Alcohol (e.g. Beer, Wine, Vodka):

X Ibogaine
Additionally, tyramine-containing alcoholic beverages such as draught beer and wine should not be combined with any of the following:
X aMT​
X Ayahuasca/Pharmahuasca​
X 2C-T-7​
X Other MAOIs (e.g. Phenelzine, Selegiline)​

Ibogaine:

X Alcohol
X DXM
X All SSRIs/SNRIs (e.g. Sertraline, Seroxat)
X All other stimulants (e.g. Amphetamine, Cocaine, MDPV)
X All anticonvulsants (e.g. Lithium, Valproate)
X Antibiotics
X Grapefruit Juice
X Quinine (Tonic water)

Serotonin releasers (e.g. MDMA, MDA, MDEA, 6-APB, 5-APB, MDAI, Mephedrone, Methylone):

X 2C-T-7
X Ayahuasca/Pharmahuasca
X DXM (Dextromethorphan)
X Ibogaine
X 5-HTP

Stimulants (e.g. Amphetamine, Cocaine, MDPV, Methcathinone):

X Beta-blockers
X Ibogaine

Potentially/Likely Dangerous Combinations

Adrenergic autoreceptor antagonist antidepressants (mirtazapine, yohimbine)

X Dissociatives (DXM, ketamine)
X Ibogaine

Serotonin releasers (e.g. MDMA, MDA, MDEA, 6-APB, 5-APB, MDAI, Mephedrone, Methylone):

X 5-MeO-MiPT and 5-MeO-DiPT
X Methoxetamine

Stimulants (e.g. Amphetamine, Cocaine, MDPV, Methcathinone):

X All of the NBOMe series (e.g. 25C-NBOMe, 25I-NBOMe)
X 5-MeO-MiPT and 5-MeO-DiPT
X Bromo-DragonFLY
X 2C-T-7
X Ayahuasca/Pharmahuasca

Alcohol (e.g. Beer, Wine, Vodka):

X Dissociatives (e.g. Ketamine, DXM, PCP, Methoxetamine)
X 5-HTP

{PD Index} {Erowid Big Chart} {PD Forum Guidelines} {BLUA}

Funnily, I spent so much time worrying about people adding xtra drugs to the AMT, I'd given them. Then I found one of them had been eating a few diethylpropion along with AMT, with no problems. Just have to be aware of it's mild MAOI activity.

I went on my first shroom trip in 20 years yesterday.
It started off just how I remembered it being, lots of size distortions, shiny colors everywhere and prisms around stuff.

But a few hours in, I puked. And then starting having hyperreflexia (couldn't stop moving my arms & legs) and it felt like there was electricity going through my body.
Sort of like the same sensation you feel when you orgasm, except it just kept going & going.

Eventually I looked in the mirror & noticed my right pupil was much larger than my left pupil.
knowing from past reading, I know that having one pupil bigger than the other can be a sign of head trauma or a stroke/blood vessel bursting in the brain.
So of course my trip turned to sheer terror.

I took pics of my eyes just to make sure it wasn't just me seeing shit.
I also sort of felt like I had a stroke or something. Kept stuttering my words, couldn't hold things in my hands very well or walk very well.
I also felt like my brain was split in two halves & each were working out of sync with each other. Almost like there was some kind of wall in between my eyes & the two sides of my body felt alien from one another.

I decided to pop a bunch of benzos & this took away most of the visuals but I was still left with uncomfortable hot flashes, cold sweats, shivering & my pupil stayed enlarged til I went to bed.

Got up this morning & my pupil was back to normal thankfully & I feel alright, although slightly off which is to be expected.

Were these all normal side effects of shrooms? I don't recall having these issues when I was a teenager & did them.
Should I be concerned about the pupil thing? Should I maybe avoid shrooms altogether from this day forward or would I be okay to try another small dose some day?
I think I might have taken 3-4 grams, which I've read is a pretty big dose for some one who hasn't done them in 20 years.
I'm also on suboxone, gabapentin, klonopin & wellbutrin. I also took a flexeril the night before. I dunno if any of these contributed or what.
But I only took my suboxone yesterday & nothing else (til I had to).

Could this have been serotonin syndrome? It kinda felt like it.
It figures that I just can't have any kind of fun anymore with anything. lol

Last edited:
Yup all normal man. I’ve had only one pupil dilate on numerous occasions but doesn’t always happen. It’s scary cuz like you said it can mean head trauma, but it’s nothing to worry about in the context of drug use. Now if it stayed that way for days after I might get worried.

I’ve had it happen so hard where one side of my vision is all bright and the other half is dimmer.

-GC

Yup all normal man. I’ve had only one pupil dilate on numerous occasions but doesn’t always happen. It’s scary cuz like you said it can mean head trauma, but it’s nothing to worry about in the context of drug use. Now if it stayed that way for days after I might get worried.

I’ve had it happen so hard where one side of my vision is all bright and the other half is dimmer.

-GC
Thanks for the reassurance man!
Not a fun time to be thinking you're having a stroke or something while tripping. The entire trip went south once I noticed my right pupil.

I think next time I'll aim for a lower dose too & maybe give my body some time to clear out my other meds before I take it.

Anyone know any reasons why this happens (the eye thing I mean)? I've always known it's normal to have pupil dilatation on them but usually it's both pupils. lol

I had such clean trips as a teenager. Even drove home on them the very first time I ever did them (on the comedown of course). But this was intense both physically & mentally.

Last edited:
I looked through the "dangerous combinations" and there are a lot of acronyms I don't recognize. My interest is magic mushrooms. Which of those acronyms or chemical names might be present in magic mushrooms?

Magic mushrooms just contain psilocybin. Unless you're on some specific meds, you're good to go as far as physical safety in concerned.

Well... You know you've done too much when you start wigging out. That's when you know you've got a problem.

Paranoid psychosis

Hi everyone i have been thinking dmt ingested for a while now but I have paranoid psychosis, the reason i want to take dmt is Because I have depression that has been doing on over ten years now and I want to heal the depression but try not to make the psychosis worse in the end the reason i am depressed is because of trauma in the childhood but I took high Strength weed one time and turned psychotic. So im wondering if I was to take minute doses of dmt to see how I’d react and then if it went okay try to take enough dmt that might Heal the trauma would that be safe? And also I have strong valiums if anything were to go wrong and I would have a sitter. But would the valiums interact with aripriprazole or the dmt ? Also would someone lose awareness of the room on low doses ?

The prescription medications I take are an NSAID and a strong opioid (methadone) for pain.

A friend of mine can loan me some Klonopin if I need it for a bad trip on psilocybin. Does that make sense? Taking say 1 mg Klonopin if my trip turns bad and I can't get out of that state? I have some mild PTSD from childhood stuff and I'm concerned it could bring up some difficult feelings. I will have a friend there, I'm practicing "set and setting," have a bunch of soothing music cued up and all that.

Paranoid psychosis

Hi everyone i have been thinking dmt ingested for a while now but I have paranoid psychosis, the reason i want to take dmt is Because I have depression that has been doing on over ten years now and I want to heal the depression but try not to make the psychosis worse in the end the reason i am depressed is because of trauma in the childhood but I took high Strength weed one time and turned psychotic. So im wondering if I was to take minute doses of dmt to see how I’d react and then if it went okay try to take enough dmt that might Heal the trauma would that be safe? And also I have strong valiums if anything were to go wrong and I would have a sitter. But would the valiums interact with aripriprazole or the dmt ? Also would someone lose awareness of the room on low doses ?

If your on Abilify the psychedelic isnt going to work because anti-psychotic drugs block out the effects of them. If you are truly experiencing psychotic episodes it may not be a good idea to come off them. And Psychs can deff bring out the symptoms of your mental illness with a condition like that. Id be really careful, having that reaction to Cannabis is a definite red flag.

I know that your searching for relief from the trauma but this may not be the avenue to go down in your case. And trust me im a huge proponent of psychedelic use and use them and dissociatives to treat my bi-polar disorder. But that and psychosis or schizophrenia are two different animals. Feel for you man and hope it gets better, absolutely have the benzos on hand if you do end up going for it.

Might try changa is it a common thing for people to put cannabis through changa because that would
Ruin me?