• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Psychedelic therapist allegedly stole millions from an elderly Holocaust survivor she was treating

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member

A psychedelic therapist allegedly took millions from a Holocaust survivor, highlighting worries about elders taking hallucinogens​

Olivia Goldhill
STAT News
21 Apr 2022

Excerpt:
He made a new life for himself in California. After surviving the Holocaust and growing up under Hungarian fascism and Russia’s communist regime, George Sarlo arrived in the United States as an 18-year-old refugee. Over the decades, he became a wealthy venture capitalist and philanthropist, and from the outside, looked like someone who’d overcome the horrors of history to achieve success.

Inwardly, though, he suffered from depression and struggled to make sense of his childhood. About a decade ago, he discovered psychedelics, starting with ayahuasca and moving on to MDMA, psilocybin (the active compound in magic mushrooms), and ketamine. The hallucinogenic experiences gave him a deep sense of closure over some of his early emotional wounds and gratitude for his life since, which made him a prominent advocate for using these drugs to treat psychological trauma.

Full article here.

Last edited by a moderator:
...more nasty potentials of assholes performing psychedelic therapy

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like we’ve had article after article of people associated with MAPS doing this shit lately…. 🧐🤔
I've read about the other case but this one id not as black and white as the other one IMHO.
To me, it's just as likely that Dulai was leeching money off of Sarlo like his daughters say, as it is that the spending was authorised by him, and that his daughters don't like to see their inheritance pot grow smaller.

the money is a tricky thing. idk how you prove if it was coerced or not tbh

buuut… it seems like there was some questionable therapeutic practices going on in terms of releasing patient info

that raises some doubts for sure

You'd need to prove that Sarlo was in a fragile state of mind due to old age, illness and drug use.
based on the background this story gives, i'd say it qualifies as coercion under that criteria

i do worry that the court will focus solely on the drug use and use that as the basis for their argument in favor of coercion. that could be a nasty precedent. the illness and old age are probably much more relevant but drug use is flashy and may draw people's ire

also just wanna say for anyone coming across this thread, definitely give the full article a read. the headline definitely doesn't do the story justice

it's long, but it's a very fair and thoughtful piece of journalism.