• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Psychiatric Medication Guide

Iv been taking lithium carbonate for 11 years I take a high dose I take 1350mg once at night it liyterally saved my life before I took it I did things super impulsively once I started lithium carbonate I had complete control it was crazy

I'm diagnosed as rapid cycling bi polar,PTSD,sever depression to the point I've heard voices and also Schizoid personality disorder
I just started Wellbutrin xl 150 mg I've been on it for about a month and it works good I'm gonna ask to switch to pristiq as I've heard it's stronger

I also take Seroquel for sleep I take 450 mg it works great I've been on it for years

And you should add ndri's in there

Lastly, Effexor, also a powerful medicine for depression and many forms of anxiety, can improve focus by also working to increase . It may be hard to get off of, perhaps partially because of indirect effect on various opiate receptors, which no odubt adds to its efficacy in depression.
I realise this is an old post and from an ex bluelighter 😔 but, OMG I am pretty clued up my meds but didn't realise Effexor (Venlafaxine) SNRI affected opiates. Unless you mean because of the P450? Or some other mechanism? I'm going to do a scholar search and see if I've missed something. I am on both opiates and venlafaxine, don't think any doc has ever warned against.

I feel like I've been given so many meds in my time, I sometimes lose track!

Beta blockers first
Temzepam
Diazepam

SSRI SNRI
Citalopram up to 60mg which made me really odd
Sertaline to 150mg I think
Venlafaxine my miracle drug, on 225mg it's a third line med here and I believe it's much harder to get off, it's strong, activating, messes with some drugs but helps me function better especially when things set me off

pain conditions
Naproxen
Codeine
Dihydrocodeine
Morphine
Iv morphine (amazing in hospital, game the flavour of IV opiates)
Oxycodone (still on it)
Simitriptan trialled failed
Amytriptaline trialled failed
Nortriptyline trialled failed
Carbemazepine trialled failed
Gabapentin trialled failed
Pregablin 600mg which i am still one

Other random addons
Flupentixol trialled failed

I've got humongous ex meds list

Im also hypothyroid so take thyroxine

Has anyone cold turkey'd 30mg suboxone daily and not get a single withdrawal symptom at all? I did...

I’ve been started on Ambilify (Aripiprazole) 10mg once a day to treat major depression. Is this a normal recommendation? It makes me feel nauseous the moment I take and and Gravol gives me no relief. It also sort of knocks me out for 10 hours then I wake up feeling refreshed and not depressed. I skip days because of the nausea which prevents me from doing work and so I only dose rarely now. My doc tells me to keep going and take it or do the IV version. Has this been good for anyone’s depression? I feel like I’m just poisoning myself with this stuff. Why online, the uses for this medication is so varied, I can’t even get a straight answer. Experiences out there please? And thank you BL Community.

I’ve been started on Ambilify (Aripiprazole) 10mg once a day to treat major depression. Is this a normal recommendation? It makes me feel nauseous the moment I take and and Gravol gives me no relief. It also sort of knocks me out for 10 hours then I wake up feeling refreshed and not depressed. I skip days because of the nausea which prevents me from doing work and so I only dose rarely now. My doc tells me to keep going and take it or do the IV version. Has this been good for anyone’s depression? I feel like I’m just poisoning myself with this stuff. Why online, the uses for this medication is so varied, I can’t even get a straight answer. Experiences out there please? And thank you BL Community.
Interesting. I've not really heard of Abilify being used as the primary medication for major depressive disorder. I've heard of it used as a supplementary to other meds, as a mood stabiliser (for example, I'm on Cymbalta as my primary med for anxiety and depression, and Topamax as a supplementary mood stabiliser). Have you tried many other medications for your depression? Did your doctor perhaps prescribe Abilify after other meds haven't really helped??
As for the nausea, does it help if you have food in your stomach when you take it?

Interesting. I've not really heard of Abilify being used as the primary medication for major depressive disorder. I've heard of it used as a supplementary to other meds, as a mood stabiliser (for example, I'm on Cymbalta as my primary med for anxiety and depression, and Topamax as a supplementary mood stabiliser). Have you tried many other medications for your depression? Did your doctor perhaps prescribe Abilify after other meds haven't really helped??
As for the nausea, does it help if you have food in your stomach when you take it?
I’ve tried 5 other antidepressants without success. I never really gave ambilify a chance after the first few nauseous episodes.

I’ve tried 5 other antidepressants without success. I never really gave ambilify a chance after the first few nauseous episodes.
Fair enough, I wouldn't either lol. So are you on anything now? How are you going?

Fair enough, I wouldn't either lol. So are you on anything now? How are you going?
I take Quetiapine for sleep thats all. Tapering off of Suboxone currently on 5mg per day. I’m so concerned that Ambilify will cause long term damage and side effects to me or make me emotionally numb where I am non-recognizable.

I take Quetiapine for sleep thats all. Tapering off of Suboxone currently on 5mg per day. I’m so concerned that Ambilify will cause long term damage and side effects to me or make me emotionally numb where I am non-recognizable.
Hey, I haven't logged on here in a while. Have you stopped taking Abilify completely or are you still giving it a chance? I'm with n3ophy7te that I've not yet heard of Abilify being used for Major Depressive Disorder. One thing I noticed is if you are taking Quetiapine (Seroquel) that will make you super exhausted and drowsy all the time. Even if you're taking it just at night for sleep, the effects can and usually will last 24 hrs a day.

Seroquel is used to treat Schizophrenia, Bipolar mania, and psychosis (which can be a symptom of Schizophrenia). It's class is Anti-Psychotics, yet is used by many idiot doctors to treat insomnia. There are other drugs to treat insomnia but Seroquel is known to cause Parkinson's Disease in people who are not psychotic and are using the drug off-label, ie., to treat something it's not made to treat. I'm not a doctor but there have been enough cases that you should be able to find articles online.

Abilify is also an anti-psychotic. But Abilify does not have the same reputation of Seroquel as causing drowsiness and a constant feeling of exhaustion.

As you can see, your doctor has you prescribed on not one, but two anti-psychotics. That would probably make a horse nauseous. My main question for you is this. Are you experiencing psychosis? Hearing voices? Seeing things that aren't there? These are the things those drugs are made to treat. I'm not saying you don't need an anti-psychotic. But you should make sure you doctor educates you on each drug you take and why you take it.

If you are majorly depressed, I personally think Abilify could do wonders as a mood stabilizer, but NOT if it has to be coupled with Seroquel. I've been on Abilfy since 2008 and am currently taking the maximum dose a doctor will prescribe. Abilify has never given me any negative side-effects. The only time I have ever felt the exhaustion you speak of was when I took Seroquel, which was years before I was prescribed Abilify. I was in college at the time and immediately asked the doc to take me off of it because I couldn't stay awake or concentrate during class. Like I said, I'm no doctor but I have taken both of the meds you are currently on and can testify that if any drug will make you feel like a zombie and unrecognizable, it is Seroquel.

Anyways, good luck and if you read this, please check in and let us know how you're doing!

Always remember, you and/or your insurance company pay you doctor a lot of money for the service of treating your ailments with meds. You have the right to know what you are being given and why as well as having the right to change what's not working for you.

Hey, I haven't logged on here in a while. Have you stopped taking Abilify completely or are you still giving it a chance? I'm with n3ophy7te that I've not yet heard of Abilify being used for Major Depressive Disorder. One thing I noticed is if you are taking Quetiapine (Seroquel) that will make you super exhausted and drowsy all the time. Even if you're taking it just at night for sleep, the effects can and usually will last 24 hrs a day.

Seroquel is used to treat Schizophrenia, Bipolar mania, and psychosis (which can be a symptom of Schizophrenia). It's class is Anti-Psychotics, yet is used by many idiot doctors to treat insomnia. There are other drugs to treat insomnia but Seroquel is known to cause Parkinson's Disease in people who are not psychotic and are using the drug off-label, ie., to treat something it's not made to treat. I'm not a doctor but there have been enough cases that you should be able to find articles online.

Abilify is also an anti-psychotic. But Abilify does not have the same reputation of Seroquel as causing drowsiness and a constant feeling of exhaustion.

As you can see, your doctor has you prescribed on not one, but two anti-psychotics. That would probably make a horse nauseous. My main question for you is this. Are you experiencing psychosis? Hearing voices? Seeing things that aren't there? These are the things those drugs are made to treat. I'm not saying you don't need an anti-psychotic. But you should make sure you doctor educates you on each drug you take and why you take it.

If you are majorly depressed, I personally think Abilify could do wonders as a mood stabilizer, but NOT if it has to be coupled with Seroquel. I've been on Abilfy since 2008 and am currently taking the maximum dose a doctor will prescribe. Abilify has never given me any negative side-effects. The only time I have ever felt the exhaustion you speak of was when I took Seroquel, which was years before I was prescribed Abilify. I was in college at the time and immediately asked the doc to take me off of it because I couldn't stay awake or concentrate during class. Like I said, I'm no doctor but I have taken both of the meds you are currently on and can testify that if any drug will make you feel like a zombie and unrecognizable, it is Seroquel.

Anyways, good luck and if you read this, please check in and let us know how you're doing!

Always remember, you and/or your insurance company pay you doctor a lot of money for the service of treating your ailments with meds. You have the right to know what you are being given and why as well as having the right to change what's not working for you.
Hi Jerry Atrick,

Thanks for your concern. I stopped taking Ambilify because it was making me so nauseous. I'm on 25mg seroquel and still tappering down from Suboxone. I don't take any other pharma meds at the moment. My depression and anxiety is dependent on what's going on in my life.