• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Psychotic symptoms from pregabalin

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
Anybody else gets a reoccurence of psychotic symptoms (hearing whispers, "loud" thoughts as its called) when taking pregabalin, at least dosages of 450+mg at once but it was also present with 2x 300/d. I believed this to be lingering symptoms and was scared of pregab withdrawal because of what I never tried it out but now realized that I could substitute pregabalin with kratom and ever since a few days into all the lingering stuff disappeared. I challenged it with a pregab dose and yes, it came back for the duration. Only other substance which I dont tolerate anymore is DXM.

I don't think I'm psychotic in the traditional schizo sense, but I have noticed on days that I take gabapentin, I will develop an annoying internal monologue that likes to sing songs over & over but changes the lyrics to stupid shit. Some times I feel like I can't stop it, even tho it's technically my own internal dialogue speaking. I don't know if it's related in a way and I can't say I've had any audible sensations, but that's with gabapentin rather than pregablin.

I took 600mg of DXM on Saturday night and was shocked when all I got was some anxious jittery feelings in my chest. No insight, no magic, no fun headspace. And I've had lots of break time.

Last time I tried 600mg a few weeks ago, I got a severe allergic reaction. Trip sucked dick, if you can call it a trip. But there was an afterglow, which felt really peaceful and nostalgic and made me really wanna go outside late at night (which I didn't).

Dunno why DXM doesn't like me much any more. Maybe because I used her a lot for ritual magic and she gave me exactly what I asked for, except with a twist and now I want away from it all (long interpersonal delusional story that's very real to me tho).

Oh yeah, exactly same here, the pregabalin never caused paranoia (as the typical schizo symptom which docs often interpret in people which are just struggling with symptoms and side effects) or full on voices like DXM while on bupe did. Mostly even with DXM it was an intensification of the inner monologue which then xould take off into an inner dialogue, sometimes it would hum melodies, sometimea comment - wanting to help me in a way, notifying me of when I should do something but avoid it for example. Unfortunately it has no own memory so it couldnt do anything for me and with that realization it began to fade, but pregabalin keeps waking it up. Weird.

I would love to have DXM available as a drug again given its ready availability and I will try it again soon now that I am off both morphine and pregabalin yet I suspect having hit this 50 trip limit, which might be mediates by ageing but I really wonder about what it ia because it emerged quite suddenly, with 28 I had the last good time on it, then I got to DCK and tried mostly out off curiosity about another substance with 29 or 30, then on bupe, just 4mg but enough to cause anticholinergic symptoms like difficulty to pee and upon 400mg of DXM I was hit with loads of voices shouting at me, no trip at all and uncommonly for DXM was it easy to fall asleep, thankfully. Strange that the trip limit is usually described as a loss of meaningfulness and joy in the experience and one feeling high and stupid but never read about psychosis like symptoms. I dont like that description because of stigma and that I was (mostly) lucid into that it waa just iny head.

It sucks as customs just seized my substance delivery, so no dissociatives for the meantime.

Anybody else gets a reoccurence of psychotic symptoms (hearing whispers, "loud" thoughts as its called) when taking pregabalin, at least dosages of 450+mg at once but it was also present with 2x 300/d. I believed this to be lingering symptoms and was scared of pregab withdrawal because of what I never tried it out but now realized that I could substitute pregabalin with kratom and ever since a few days into all the lingering stuff disappeared. I challenged it with a pregab dose and yes, it came back for the duration. Only other substance which I dont tolerate anymore is DXM.

Not psychotic but it definitely makes me feel odd. 300mg does it but not 150. The thing I get is when I close my eyes I can see all these patterns and things, sometimes even creatures. I don't like it.. I'm coming down from meth and got 300mg but no.

I will develop an annoying internal monologue that likes to sing songs over & over but changes the lyrics to stupid shit.

That sounds kinda cool lol.

It was, at first, I had nice conversations with it (all in thoughts) but having to share your mind and body 24/7 with a second presence without a mute button and having it tell you stuff like oh, I found your light, I remember nothing before but now here I am (projections of my own paranomal fears probably as it is of mirror character) can become quite scary.

Interesting that you get visuals from just 300mg pregabalin. I didnt get anything beyomd weak schemes from up to 1.5g but once many years ago I took a mixture of pregabalin, tilidin, tiagabin and lorazepam and got an unique psychedelic like, colorful experience but it was nice, possibly due to the potent summed anxiolysis of all the drugs. Dosages of each were quite low, I just wanted to relax or sleep and raided the next available med cabinet, lol. Would definitely try that again but neither tilidin nor tiagabin are available here so I had to stick to pregab and kratom.

I will develop an annoying internal monologue that likes to sing songs over & over but changes the lyrics to stupid shit. Some times I feel like I can't stop it, even tho it's technically my own internal dialogue speaking.
dude I've been trying to explain a similar thing to people for awhile

my brain will repeat or create music in my head, like an internal monologue/thought, over and over and over incessantly

if I read the word "bad", suddenly I will hear Micheal Jackson - Bad playing over and over in my head

other times I will start hearing a song I heard on the radio 15 years ago, playing over and over in my head, typically in 5 second bits

other times my brain will invent a new song and create it's own lyrics and repeat over and over

it's always playing right next to my thoughts, my internal dialogue

I find it incredibly fucking annoying

It all started when I had my drug induced schizophrenia episode, yet while all the other symptoms of that faded with time... the music/dialogue never stopped, never went away

if its anything like what I have it's more of a huge annoyance over anything

It was, at first, I had nice conversations with it (all in thoughts) but having to share your mind and body 24/7 with a second presence without a mute button and having it tell you stuff like oh, I found your light, I remember nothing before but now here I am (projections of my own paranomal fears probably as it is of mirror character) can become quite scary.

Interesting that you get visuals from just 300mg pregabalin. I didnt get anything beyomd weak schemes from up to 1.5g but once many years ago I took a mixture of pregabalin, tilidin, tiagabin and lorazepam and got an unique psychedelic like, colorful experience but it was nice, possibly due to the potent summed anxiolysis of all the drugs. Dosages of each were quite low, I just wanted to relax or sleep and raided the next available med cabinet, lol. Would definitely try that again but neither tilidin nor tiagabin are available here so I had to stick to pregab and kratom.

Well I meant @DeathIndustrial88's "annoying internal monologue that likes to sing songs over & over but changes the lyrics to stupid shit." but never mind.

I only see the stuff when I close my eyes. But I get this weird feeling I can't explain.

DXM sounds awful. There's a cough syrup with some sort of opiate in it, but don't know if it's still available. It has a laxative effect though and can get a bit messy 😕

my brain will repeat or create music in my head, like an internal monologue/thought, over and over and over incessantly

if I read the word "bad", suddenly I will hear Micheal Jackson - Bad playing over and over in my head

other times I will start hearing a song I heard on the radio 15 years ago, playing over and over in my head, typically in 5 second bits

other times my brain will invent a new song and create it's own lyrics and repeat over and over

It all started when I had my drug induced schizophrenia episode, yet while all the other symptoms of that faded with time... the music/dialogue never stopped, never went away

I get that sort of thing from stress. It's scary what the mind can do when it's tired and stressed.. Says I after 2 nights awake 😵‍💫

@DeathIndustrial88 also, one of the main symptoms of my drug schizo episode was my own internal dialogue became someone else. My own internal dialogue, that voice you are infinitely familiar with, changed. Hijacked. Started saying things that I didn't say. My own internal dialogue started laughing at me. Screaming at me. Making noises.

That was honestly the most disturbing part. The voices I would hear were less bothersome, I knew them to be hallucination, separate from me. But when your own internal voice changes... that freaked me the fuck out man. So strange....

I get that sort of thing from stress. It's scary what the mind can do when it's tired and stressed.. Says I after 2 nights awake 😵‍💫

yeah I've noticed a direct relation between stress and the music dialogue shit I hear

:( stress kills

Damn man,

this sounds exactly like what I've been going through. It got really bad not long after I started taking gabapentin every day.

I guess I never considered it a psychotic thing at first because it is my own dialogue rather than like a voice from some one else. I thought my brain was just being goofy and stupid or something, but I've noticed on days I don't take any gabapentin, the issue is hardly there.

it sounds exactly like what you described. Usually always old 80's or 90's hit songs, some times with just a slight word change or something & repeated over & over to where it just becomes obnoxiously hilarious (although it is annoying how it can keep popping up whenever I try to consciously stop it).

I also invent short little new snippets of songs. And it's usually stuff so stupid that there's no way I'd ever really think to write it down or come up with consciously on my own. But yet I have no idea where it all comes from.

@DeathIndustrial88 also, one of the main symptoms of my drug schizo episode was my own internal dialogue became someone else. My own internal dialogue, that voice you are infinitely familiar with, changed. Hijacked. Started saying things that I didn't say. My own internal dialogue started laughing at me. Screaming at me. Making noises.

That was honestly the most disturbing part. The voices I would hear were less bothersome, I knew them to be hallucination, separate from me. But when your own internal voice changes... that freaked me the fuck out man. So strange....

yeah I've noticed a direct relation between stress and the music dialogue shit I hear

:( stress kills
Okay, yeah I haven't gotten that bad yet. As in my internal monologue is still me, it's just randomly saying stupid (often kind of stupid funny shit over & over, especially old song lyrics). I'd be pretty damn terrified if I suddenly felt like there was some one else in my head. Although some times it can feel that way when I can't shut the stupid little songs off, but it's never spoken directly to me or mocked me or anything thankfully.

Yeah I get bad auditory halluciations on stims after just a day awake these days, but having my own mind's dialogue become some one else sounds like something I couldn't even comprehend. Sorry to hear you had that happen to you. I'm hoping it's recovered some.

I have been under enormous amount of stress the past year. I guess that could have more to do with it, but I found it peculiar about this pregablin question & plumbus hearing things because I have seen that the issue is more prevelant when I take my gabapentin. But hard to say what really goes on in my head anymore.

Maybe I'm headed for where you ended up Negentropic :( That would be fucked up.

Damn man,

this sounds exactly like what I've been going through. It got really bad not long after I started taking gabapentin every day.

I guess I never considered it a psychotic thing at first because it is my own dialogue rather than like a voice from some one else. I thought my brain was just being goofy and stupid or something, but I've noticed on days I don't take any gabapentin, the issue is hardly there.

it sounds exactly like what you described. Usually always old 80's or 90's hit songs, some times with just a slight word change or something & repeated over & over to where it just becomes obnoxiously hilarious (although it is annoying how it can keep popping up whenever I try to consciously stop it).

I also invent short little new snippets of songs. And it's usually stuff so stupid that there's no way I'd ever really think to write it down or come up with consciously on my own. But yet I have no idea where it all comes from.
I don't know if its a psychotic thing man, all I can say is it started immediately after my psychosis. It was actually one of the first symptoms I really became bothered by. I remember it being particularly loud then.

These days it certainly gets more intense whenever I go on binges or am stressed out by whatever thing. It seems the more chaos and stress I put my brain in, the more prevalent it is.

and yeah, its usually just a few second clip of some various song I've heard, repeated over and over and over

I can think over it, I can talk to myself over it... it's just like playing in my head

I can focus intently and say "STOP"... and it will stop... but as soon as I lift my intention off of it it starts up again....

I've never met anyone I could relate to on this. I've attempted to explain it as a schizo symptom, but always end up with no answers on that front, nobody to relate to.

I don't know if its a psychotic thing man, all I can say is it started immediately after my psychosis. It was actually one of the first symptoms I really became bothered by. I remember it being particularly loud then.

These days it certainly gets more intense whenever I go on binges or am stressed out by whatever thing. It seems the more chaos and stress I put my brain in, the more prevalent it is.

and yeah, its usually just a few second clip of some various song I've heard, repeated over and over and over

I can think over it, I can talk to myself over it... it's just like playing in my head

I can focus intently and say "STOP"... and it will stop... but as soon as I lift my intention off of it it starts up again....

I've never met anyone I could relate to on this. I've attempted to explain it as a schizo symptom, but always end up with no answers on that front, nobody to relate to.
I'm wondering if it could be something more sinister going on, as far as psychotropic & electronic weapons systems.
But maybe I'm a schizo too for saying that, but who really knows. lol

It certainly is an odd phenomenon. I thought it was just my crazy head going along with it til tonight. It's not really too bothersome, just mysterious and annoying like you said. I don't feel like it has impacted my ability to stay in touch with reality or anything, it's just... different.

Maybe we momentarily become radio antenneas for hip 90's hits. :p And our "own" too apparently. lol

@DeathIndustrial88 I've never done pregabalin

however, gabapentinoids like phenibut give me some peculiarly strong visual hallucinations in large doses (specifically with phenibut I start seeing geometrical patterns overlayed on everything, especially if I take large doses for 2-3 days in a row)

and benzos paradoxically give me strong CEV hypnagogic hallucinations

I don't lose my mind or the high isn't different in any sense, I just get additional "side effects" from various drugs now lol

I think once you alter your serotonergic system your brain is a bit cooky forever

@DeathIndustrial88 I've never done pregabalin

however, gabapentinoids like phenibut give me some peculiarly strong visual hallucinations in large doses (specifically with phenibut I start seeing geometrical patterns overlayed on everything, especially if I take large doses for 2-3 days in a row)

and benzos paradoxically give me strong CEV hypnagogic hallucinations

I don't lose my mind or the high isn't different in any sense, I just get additional "side effects" from various drugs now lol

I think once you alter your serotonergic system your brain is a bit cooky forever
When I was younger, high dose clonazepam made me see blue tracers around things. Which is odd, since you'd think since it lowers neurotransmitters, that you wouldn't get any real visuals.

I probably have fried my brain, mixing DXM & Ice or DXM & trams, which are supposedly deadly combos that I've stupidly done a lot of times & im sure it can be deadly but I probably just survived to be tormented the rest of my days with an ever faulty brain for doing so.

Damn man,

You don't come across as psychotic at all.

Thanks!

I honestly don't see myself as a psychotic. at least not in the hearing or seeing things, lose touch with reality type of psychotic.

I have been diagnosed as borderline before & can under a lot of stress develop paranoid thoughts or delusions.
I can also snap on people pretty bad if I'm under a lot of stress or anxiety & they say or do something that hurts me or makes it worse.

I feel my depression & anxiety are some of the heaviest things I have, rather than a psychotic disorder. I see myself falling more on the neurotic side of things.

I probably just survived to be tormented the rest of my days with an ever faulty brain for doing so.
that hits hard man

I feel that more than most people probably can, I feel the same

<3

sometimes it's not so obvious, sometimes the psychosis is internal. Not all people who suffer have obvious behavioral changes. Not all who hear voices react to them.

during the peak of my schizophrenia I maintained a full time IT job constantly interacting with other people, nobody ever knew how much I was suffering, how much I was going through.

that hits hard man

I feel that more than most people probably can, I feel the same

<3

sometimes it's not so obvious, sometimes the psychosis is internal. Not all people who suffer have obvious behavioral changes. Not all who hear voices react to them.

during the peak of my schizophrenia I maintained a full time IT job constantly interacting with other people, nobody ever knew how much I was suffering, how much I was going through.
I actually took one of these crazy combos recently and was surprised at how calmly I was able to handle it. lol Especially for some one with super anxiety. Although I made sure to have benzos on hand too. It should have had my heart about ready to explode. Maybe it was & I just didn't notice it. I've probably cut my life span pretty short, but who knows.

Yeah my ex/bf/whatever we are has some kind of "schizo" where he hears & sees things that aren't there. Like he'll accuse me of having black "balls" of something flying out of my hands, even though most people would be like uhhh wtf. And some times when I'm out in public with him, he'll point at strangers or be rude to them for no reason & tells me he does it because they are putting thoughts into his head. And then I'll get pissed because it's embarassing being around some one who draws attention like that to me. Yet some how this same person can go to work every day for 10 hours and hold a job some how. But he's my only real life comparison I can observe & I am definitely not that sort of "psycho".

I think neurosis & psychosis kind of over lap each other once in awhile though, so it's not impossible that I could end up psychotic one day too.
Especially living around him long enough, since his issue stress me out and stress makes me crazy. lol I need a quiet, peaceful environment at all times. lol

One of my good friends is majorly schizo and he makes big $ as a lead software developer. Lived a pretty normal life was even married with kids at one point.

Not sure but I think psychedelic drug use let me handle my psychosis more, so I was able to internalize it without freaking out too much (but psychedelic drugs also caused it... lol). Honestly it was a lot like taking mushrooms except it lasted over a year instead of 6 hours. Schizo is basically just psychosis with some specifically defined features and lasting more than 6 months.

anyways, yeah

it's the people who started to lose their barrier between the hallucinations, reality and delusions, the ones who outwardly start to act upon them like you describe your ex, that's significant schizo

I am lucky in that I never progressed that much, and also made a major recovery..... except for that annoying fucking music dialogue