Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

[QLD Australia] Dexamphetaimine Producing Positive for Meth in Roadside Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

jablez

Greenlighter
So this morning (Jan 1st) I was pulled over for a roadside test. I actually had a relatively quiet NYE by my standards. Only 3-4 drinks and took nothing illicit.

Anyway, I proceed to test positive for Meth in both the initial Swab and the Trace Machine in the car. Meanwhile, I've never actually taken Meth in my life.

Thing is, I am prescribed Dexamphetamine for ADHD, and I had my usual morning dose of 15mg.

I figured this is what was flagging, however the cop repeatedly said it wouldn't come up in the test.

coukd it be that, due to laziness I usually just crush the tablets in my mouth and swallow them dry, I've done this for years with no real issue. Are they expecting therapeutic meds to be swallowed whole and not be very present in the saliva?

I also used some mouthwash prior to leaving the house, but I can't see how that would do it.

I still have the Lab test to go that I am confident will clear me and prevent me from going to court and affecting me going overseas etc. However I am still bloody nervous about is seeing I tested positive to both the roadside tests.

Anyone else had issues like this? Thanks.

I've been trying to get a straight answer to this question (does dex turn up in roadside tests in Australia) for a long time.

From what I understand - correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no scientist - drugs will turn up in your saliva regardless of how you administer them. If you inject meth, it is detectable in your saliva. So, that rules out the crushing pills.

I'm very confident that it has detected the dex and produced a false positive for meth.

Mouthwash isn't going to do anything.

Thanks for the reply, upon further research I'm certain I'll be cleared by the lab test, still a nervous wait I guess.

As for the traces in saliva, I agree with you there. I do wonder though, by me crushing it in my mouth, would I have higher traces of the drug on my tongue/inside of the cheeks/in the saliva?

I'd be nervous too, but - like I said - I'm pretty certain you're gonna be alright.

As for the traces in saliva, I agree with you there. I do wonder though, by me crushing it in my mouth, would I have higher traces of the drug on my tongue/inside of the cheeks/in the saliva?

I'm not the right person to ask that question, but I'd assume the answer is yes.

This may have had an impact on your false positive, because dex isn't "supposed to" register as meth.

You'd think (considering how many people have ADHD) this would happen all the time, yet I've never heard of it happening before.

I think you have been unlucky.

I'm going to leave further response to people with better scientific knowledge.

Hey mate sorry to hear… it really is a crappy situation to be in. Got done with meth in my saliva on roadside test in August so i know exactly what you are going through.

First things first, if you are telling the truth the lab result will confirm it is Dex and not meth, but if you did do meth the test will show theres no way around that and depending what you said in your statement to the cop can have some impact on you if you decide to appeal it and go to court.

Rule of thumb is if you didn't use any meth or thc or mdma and the road side test still comes back positive you always request a blood test at the hospital because blood tests are 99.9% accurate but roadside tests can range from 60% to 80% accuracy with the possibility of a false positive.

What will happen will be one of two things.

First: lab results come back negative for meth but positive for Dex. If this happens you will get a summons for Driving Under Influence of a drug and the summons will be handed to you in person by a court official and you will need to attend.

The judge will weigh up the information of the lab test to make a decision if you were impaired and should not of been driving a vehicle. The information he will have is: amount of the drug that was in your blood through a laboratory testing of a saliva specimen, time last consumed and any warnings or information on the prescription drug saying you cant operate machinery/vehicle while taking it ect, as well as how you were acting when pulled over.

If you did consume a fair amount more than the prescription information on the medicine box instructs the lab result will show that amount and it will be in the results for the judge to see and he could cancel your license for up to 9months as well as a fine.

Just really depends on if you were impaired at the time and what the cop has wrote down in his notes to the court. If your license was not taken on the spot then its not so bad.

Second scenario: if you did take meth it will come back positive from the lab and you’ll have your license cancelled after you agree to pay the fine. You may or may not get a summons.

If you choose to appeal the decision in court and you did come back lab positive for meth and lose to the court then its double the period of disqualification plus a fine.

So yeah be wise what you want to do, if you get a summons get advice from Legal Aid about being positive for Dex. If you test positive for meth then well… balls in your court on what you want to do but you will lose your license regardless.

Hope that clears a few things up for you my bro.

Asking any type of info about drug testing is against BLUA. Besides, the question has been answered.

Locking thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.