• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

question about phenylpropanolamine

bantaren

Bluelighter
Trying to find a appetite suppressant. Thats why I have a question concerning phenylpropanolamine. I know that "There are four optical isomers of phenylpropanolamine: d- and l-norephedrine, and d- and l-norpseudoephedrine" (wiki). I found a decongestant that contains phenylpropanolamine, it looks like this:

0589.gif

Not being all that into chemistry myself Is it possible to tell exacly what isomer this is and if it has got the wanted appetite suppressant properties that Im looking for. Help would be extremely appreciated.

For those who speak Swedish I could also add that the box says that the tabs contains: 2-Amino-1-fenylpropanol (Norefedrin).

Phenylpropanolamine is the mixture of all four isomers. The one with the best anorectic (appetite supression) activity is d-norpseudoephedrine, which is also known as cathine - found in Catha edulis/khat.

fastandbulbous said:
Phenylpropanolamine is the mixture of all four isomers. The one with the best anorectic (appetite supression) activity is d-norpseudoephedrine, which is also known as cathine - found in Catha edulis/khat.

Thank you.

My understanding is different....D-norpseudoephedrine (cathine) is commonly used in European medications, and is described as "phenylpropanolamine", whereas in the United States a racemic mixture of d,l-norephedrine is the usual (and is also called PPA).

I took 75mg once (not sure what optical mixture) and it put me to sleep. I was very young though and may well react differently if I tried it now. At this point, I am very sensitive to stimulants......5mg of (+/-) amphetamine is the max I can tolerate.

PS..."2-Amino-1-fenylpropanol (Norefedrin)" is another word for 2-amino-1-phenylpropanol or nor-ephedrine. "Norephedrine" means ephedrine without a N-methyl.

I don't think phenylpropanolamine will be a good appetite surpressant, at least not in the long term.

Fast'n'bulbous probably knows more on this as he is the in-house expert on the pharmacology behind appetite supression. ;)

fastandbulbous said:
^ Are you calling me fat? =D=D

Hehe, I realized it could be interpreted like that, but let it stay because it was entertaining. Touché! :D

But what do you say about the long term appetite supression of norephedrine, F'n'B?

It's er, not exactly a magic slimming pill. To get good appetite supression, even the most active isomer requires an amount that produces some physical side effects. For some reason a beta-hydroxy group really seems to 'get in the way' of good central activity. The beta-keto compounds (eg cathinone) are much better bets (which is why khat must be fresh to get the full experience as with time all iof the cathinone present is converted inro cathine (d-norpseudoephedrine).

The mix of all isomers (PPA) is just too dirty (read adrenergic) in it's effects, which doesn't so much supress your appetite, more make you gag at the sight & smell of food!

The PPA & it's individual isomers all seem to have too much influence on blood pressure for it to be used as a long term appetite suppressor

if one is looking to use it on an individual basis though it does seem to work very well for some as obviously there is a general norm of effect and the individual user response variance

it is, if accessible, not without worth trying as your inquiry is seemingly not purely hypothetical or theoretical

such as some love the highly related ephedrine, get great energy and app suppression, and others it is just a bit dirty and such....

^^^^

of those that are legally available for many it is quite effective, others not so much

personally i actually always got a much better effect from the standardized Ma Huang herbal extracts (generally 8% ephedrine) than the pure monomer or synthetic at roughly equivalent dosages of the active wherein pure ephedrine for some reason made me sick the two or three times i used that (and i tolerate most things well)

another legal (U.S.) anorexic that some find effective and others may find quite harsh or unpleasant is yohimbine...usually the trick here is to scale up real slow on the dose

thank you for your answers, again! Will give the PPA a shot since I've got such a pile of them.

such as some love the highly related ephedrine, get great energy and app suppression, and others it is just a bit dirty and such....

A bit dirty - god I loathe the effects ephedrine puts you through just for a bit of CNS stimulation

LuxEtVeritas said:
^^^^

of those that are legally available for many it is quite effective, others not so much

personally i actually always got a much better effect from the standardized Ma Huang herbal extracts (generally 8% ephedrine) than the pure monomer or synthetic at roughly equivalent dosages of the active wherein pure ephedrine for some reason made me sick the two or three times i used that (and i tolerate most things well)

another legal (U.S.) anorexic that some find effective and others may find quite harsh or unpleasant is yohimbine...usually the trick here is to scale up real slow on the dose

I forget the pharmacology behind it but it has been well documented that ephedra extracts also have less effect on the heart an BP than pure ephedrine for the same amount of ephedrine. there are other consituents in ephedra and ephedra extract that reduce the adverse undesired effects.

Yohimbine is an alpha-2 antagonist and effectively removes any negative feedback system for the levels of sympatriomimetic neurotransmitters. Because this is almost entirely noradrenergic, yohimbine has a high incidence of episodes of acute anxiety - I think I'd rather have my jaws wired!

absolutely true as some certainly experience the anxiogenic side, but again others do not seem to have much issue here

individual variance and scaling up are key to user experience