• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Redactle (online word puzzle game)

You can see the number of letters in a word by highlighting it, which helps. Look for unusual word and phrase shapes that might give you a hint.

For example, I recognized that ___-___-_-____-____ was probably "one-, two-, six-, or ten-and-a-half-something" and that led me somewhere useful.

Sorry, I missed this. I don't know.. I'm intrigued but I don't even know where to start and feel like an idiot 😕

I solved today's Redactle (#76) in 15 guesses with an accuracy of 26.67%. Played at https://www.redactle.com/

Sorry, I missed this. I don't know.. I'm intrigued but I don't even know where to start and feel like an idiot 😕

I took notes on my tactics today while playing. Hopefully they can give you an idea of how to approach the game, @AbbeyLee:

Title: two words, 8/5

Paragraph 1:

"About ██.█-██.████ (█.█-█.████) in ██████,": This could be "XX.X-XX.X cm (X.X-X.X in) in length", suggesting maybe a small animal or plant? (For some reason Redactle often blanks out spaces between numbers and units.) Alternatively, it could be "km" and "mi", suggesting something much longer

"It is █████ across ██████, ████ to ███████ ███████ and █████ to █████ ██████;": "It is found across..." I can't sort the rest out exactly but I think they refer to continents

"it is █████████ in ████ of ███ █████ except the ███ █████.": "it is [something] in much of the world except the far [South or North]"

I'm pretty sure it's an animal or plant at this point.

Paragraph 3:

"The ████████ █████ was █████████ by ████ ████████ in ████": "The [topic of the article] was [something] by [person's name] in [year]". Seems like "discovered" should be there but it doesn't fit.

Paragraph 9:

"The █████ ████████ █████ is ██.█-██.████ (█.█-█.████) ████ and ██████ ██-████ (█.██-█.█████), with a ████████ of ██-█████ (█-█.████)": "The [adult?] [topic of the article] is XX.X-XX.X cm (X.X-X.X in) long and weighs XX-XX g (X.XX-X.XX oz), with a wingspan of XX-XX cm (X-X.X in)". If I'm right about "wingspan", this ought to be a bird!

Okay, let's see if I can get any more from the first paragraph, which usually has the most critical info:

"The ████████ █████ (█████████ ████████)": in brackets ought to be the Latin name, even more confirmation it's an animal

Okay, so we have:

- a bird measured in single digit inches... so fairly small, that's spread widely across the world (but maybe only via introduction by humans?)

- the main name of the bird is five letters... "Eagle"? "Goose"? "Quail"? "Japanese quail" would fit. "Heron?" "Stork?"

- It's a short article, suggesting it might not be one of the most well-known birds.

- First guess: "Quail"... Nothing

- Two through five: "Goose", "Eagle", "Heron", "Stork"... nothing!

- Six, "Bird", just to make sure. Five hits, including one in the first sentence, confirming it is indeed a bird. This was probably a waste of a guess.

- Seven, "Finch", nada

- Eight, "Booby", zilch

- What does it eat? Nine, "Eats", no hits.

- Ten, "Raptor", no hits

- Eleven, "Flightless", no hits

- Twelve, "Migratory", no hits

- Try to think of more birds.

- Thirteen, "Robin". Bingo! In the title, 24 hits

- Fourteen, "American". Nope! Two hits, but not in the title. There is an "American robin" in the second paragraph, however.

- Must be "European" then! Indeed, the topic is "European robin." Game complete, 15 guesses.

Let's see how close I was in deciphering some of those sentences early on:

"XX.X-XX.X cm (X.X-X.X in) in length" was "12.5-14.0 cm (4.9-5.5 in) in length", spot on

"It is found across [continents]" was "It is found across Europe, east to Western Siberia and south to North Africa". I had the gist of it, but in my head the range was much larger

"it is [something] in much of the world except the far [South or North]": "it is sedentary in most of its range except the far north." I was off a bit here, which made me think the bird's range was larger than it was. This didn't really send me off track, though, since I ended up guessing every five-letter bird name I could think of anyway.

"The [topic of the article] was [something] by [person's name] in [year]": "The European robin was described by Carl Linnaeus in 1758". I had the right idea.

"The [adult?] [topic of the article] is XX.X-XX.X cm (X.X-X.X in) long and weighs XX-XX g (X.XX-X.XX oz), with a wingspan of XX-XX cm (X-X.X in)": "The adult European robin is 12.5-14.0 cm (4.9-5.5 in) long and weighs 16-22 g (0.56-0.78 oz), with a wingspan of 20-22 cm (8-8.5 in)". This was spot on. "Wingspan" was the most critical piece for solving the puzzle.

I solved today's Redactle (#76) in 15 guesses with an accuracy of 26.67%. Played at https://www.redactle.com/

I took notes on my tactics today while playing. Hopefully they can give you an idea of how to approach the game, @AbbeyLee:

Paragraph 1:

"About ██.█-██.████ (█.█-█.████) in ██████,": This could be "XX.X-XX.X cm (X.X-X.X in) in length", suggesting maybe a small animal or plant? (For some reason Redactle often blanks out spaces between numbers and units.) Alternatively, it could be "km" and "mi", suggesting something much longer

"It is █████ across ██████, ████ to ███████ ███████ and █████ to █████ ██████;": "It is found across..." I can't sort the rest out exactly but I think they refer to continents

"it is █████████ in ████ of ███ █████ except the ███ █████.": "it is [something] in much of the world except the far [South or North]"

Paragraph 3:

"The ████████ █████ was █████████ by ████ ████████ in ████": "The [topic of the article] was [something] by [person's name] in [year]". Seems like "discovered" should be there but it doesn't fit.

Paragraph 9:

"The █████ ████████ █████ is ██.█-██.████ (█.█-█.████) ████ and ██████ ██-████ (█.██-█.█████), with a ████████ of ██-█████ (█-█.████)": "The [adult?] [topic of the article] is XX.X-XX.X cm (X.X-X.X in) long and weighs XX-XX g (X.XX-X.XX oz), with a wingspan of XX-XX cm (X-X.X in)". If I'm right about "wingspan", this ought to be a bird!

Okay, let's see if I can get any more from the first paragraph, which usually has the most critical info:

"The ████████ █████ (█████████ ████████)": in brackets ought to be the Latin name, even more confirmation it's an animal

Okay, so we have:

- a bird measured in single digit inches... so fairly small, that's spread widely across the world (but maybe only via introduction by humans?)

- the main name of the bird is five letters... "Eagle"? "Goose"? "Quail"? "Japanese quail" would fit. "Heron?" "Stork?"

- It's a short article, suggesting it might not be one of the most well-known birds.

- Six, "Bird", just to make sure. Five hits, including one in the first sentence, confirming it is indeed a bird. This was probably a waste of a guess.

- Seven, "Finch", nada

- Eight, "Booby", zilch

- Ten, "Raptor", no hits

- Fourteen, "American". Nope! Two hits, but not in the title. There is an "American robin" in the second paragraph, however.

- Must be "European" then! Indeed, the topic is "European robin." Game complete, 15 guesses.

"XX.X-XX.X cm (X.X-X.X in) in length" was "12.5-14.0 cm (4.9-5.5 in) in length", spot on

"It is found across [continents]" was "It is found across Europe, east to Western Siberia and south to North Africa". I had the gist of it, but in my head the range was much larger

"it is [something] in much of the world except the far [South or North]": "it is sedentary in most of its range except the far north." I was off a bit here, which made me think the bird's range was larger than it was. This didn't really send me off track, though, since I ended up guessing every five-letter bird name I could think of anyway.

"The [topic of the article] was [something] by [person's name] in [year]": "The European robin was described by Carl Linnaeus in 1758". I had the right idea.

"The [adult?] [topic of the article] is XX.X-XX.X cm (X.X-X.X in) long and weighs XX-XX g (X.XX-X.XX oz), with a wingspan of XX-XX cm (X-X.X in)": "The adult European robin is 12.5-14.0 cm (4.9-5.5 in) long and weighs 16-22 g (0.56-0.78 oz), with a wingspan of 20-22 cm (8-8.5 in)". This was spot on. "Wingspan" was the most critical piece for solving the puzzle.

Thank you!! I was thinking about this game today. I've been doing Wordle, Quordle, Octordle and of course Scrabble, but this is still a mystery!

Paragraph 1:

Paragraph 3:

Paragraph 9:

Okay, so we have:

- Seven, "Finch", nada

- Eight, "Booby", zilch

- Ten, "Raptor", no hits

I'm gonna get my dad onto this. He's the only person I play in Scrabble who consistently beats me. Words aren't even his forté.. He's got a Masters in Chemical Engineering from Cambridge -- same time and college as Stephen Hawking. So maths and physics are his thing and I used to beat him in Scrabble but he's improved. Well if he thinks he's so smart, let him work this out LOL.

i have been trying this but i am too impatient. so i get there eventually but not without wasting loads of guesses on words that don't make a difference to my ability to guess the subject.

the one from today pissed me right off though, cos i'd guessed both halves of the first word realtively soon. but when the second half of said word got 0 hits i descended into some sort of hell spiral not being able to think what the fuck it could be.

and i got max fucking schiler a few days back!! thanks to my boyf, i'd twigged heidegger was involved so got him to help me cos his german philosophy is much stronger/actually exists unlike mine past kant, unless frege counts?

word i was failing to get was fucking foodborne, i had food, and had guessed borne which got 0 hits so then i was just sad when i already had like 'mad cos disease' and 'hygeine' like fucking hell i had study tonight and i spent most of it with my camera off anger typing random words

i have been trying this but i am too impatient. so i get there eventually but not without wasting loads of guesses on words that don't make a difference to my ability to guess the subject.

the one from today pissed me right off though, cos i'd guessed both halves of the first word realtively soon. but when the second half of said word got 0 hits i descended into some sort of hell spiral not being able to think what the fuck it could be.

and i got max fucking schiler a few days back!! thanks to my boyf, i'd twigged heidegger was involved so got him to help me cos his german philosophy is much stronger/actually exists unlike mine past kant, unless frege counts?

word i was failing to get was fucking foodborne, i had food, and had guessed borne which got 0 hits so then i was just sad when i already had like 'mad cos disease' and 'hygeine' like fucking hell i had study tonight and i spent most of it with my camera off anger typing random words

I knew it was a synonym of "food poisoning" by guess 9. Spent the rest of the time trying to fill in the first paragraph just to jog something in my brain enough to guess what the synonym was. I finally got "foodborne" on guess 41 due to the other synonym which was listed, "█████████ disease". I had no idea you could write "foodborne" like that, without a hyphen. Anyway, after that I immediately thought of "illness" (that one should have come to me earlier, I was wracking my brain for "-itises" instead) and got it at guess 42. I'm thrilled, actually; I was starting to think I was going to have to give up.

"Max Scheler" I gave up on. :( I got to the point where I knew it was a German philosopher and I was only familiar with a handful of the most famous ones, not including Mr. Scheler. My other two failures so far have been "Shaktism" and "metamorphic rock", where I was also able to figure out the topic (a denomination of Hinduism and one of the major rock types, respectively) but knew I wouldn't be able to come up with the specific term needed for the title. Metamorphic rock I'm sure I learned in grade school years ago and forgot; the other two I had definitely never heard of.

Last edited:
"Max Scheler" I gave up on. :( I got to the point where I knew it was a German philosopher and I was only familiar with a handful of the most famous ones, not including Mr. Scheler. My other two failures so far have been "Shaktism" and "metamorphic rock", where I was also able to figure out the topic (a denomination of Hinduism and one of the major rock types, respectively) but knew I wouldn't be able to come up with the specific term needed for the title. Metamorphic rock I'm sure I learned in grade school years ago and forgot; the other two I had definitely never heard of.
i didn't play the shakitsm one but no way would i have got that. i did get metamorphic rock, it was one of my better runs actually.

what strategies do you use to select your early words? i've been trying to go for generic things that should point me in a rough direction, like 'psychology' or 'engineering' but then have trouble selecting words that increase specificity from there. and also, impatience so throwing any random word in to see what happens.

what strategies do you use to select your early words? i've been trying to go for generic things that should point me in a rough direction, like 'psychology' or 'engineering' but then have trouble selecting words that increase specificity from there. and also, impatience so throwing any random word in to see what happens.

Usually I try a few "long shot" guesses to try to get to the topic quickly, and after that I start with whatever general sense I have of what the article is talking about. Usually it's pretty binary, I get it quickly or I end up flailing around for a long time.

Here my first guess was "bisphenol" because I saw "_______ A" in the text, but that gave no hits. Second guess was "bacteria" because there was an unredacted "colony" in the text (due to a glitch) and there were a few "_,___ per ___,___ ___________" which I gathered to be "[number in the thousands] per [a number in the hundreds of thousands] [something]" and there were a lot of things that seemed related to quantities. From "bacteria" (which gave 18 hits, enough to clue me in that I was close), I figured out that "food poisoning" was a synonym of the topic via "disease", "infection", "also", "skin", "lung", "symptoms", "vomiting". Then I was at the flailing-around part.

I solved today's Redactle (#83) in 32 guesses with an accuracy of 34.38%. Played at https://www.redactle.com/
  • Globally, 24017 players have solved today's Redactle so far
  • Global Median: 33.00 Guesses; 48.08% Accuracy
  • Global Average: 46.44 Guesses; 52.42% Accuracy

My redactle got blocked today. I looked on the Reddit and it said their certificate expired.

My redactle got blocked today. I looked on the Reddit and it said their certificate expired.
mine did too but i just bypassed it, got it in 29 which i'm a bit embarassed about cos its actually a subject i know but i went down a related blind alley for a few guesses.

today's was a fucking killer. got it in 108 with an accuracy of 4.7, lowest by far but that's to be expected for this one i think.

I solved today's Redactle (#94) in 12 guesses with an accuracy of 50.00%. Played at https://www.redactle.com/

• You solved it in 12 guesses
  • Your accuracy was 50.00%
  • You have solved 1 consecutive Redactles

Global Stats​

• Globally, 2659 players have solved today's Redactle so far
  • Global Median: 48.00 Guesses; 70.00% Accuracy
  • Global Average: 63.87 Guesses; 69.82% Accuracy

I solved today's Redactle (#94) in 12 guesses with an accuracy of 50.00%. Played at https://www.redactle.com/
i got it in 30 whihc i was chuffed about given it was significantly below the global average, but am now not cos you got it in less than half!!!

what i want to know, is how the fuck people are taking 48 guesses if they have 70% accuracy? that means they have about 33 words in there. i will start guessing common words if i feel stuck just cos i think seeing more of it uncovered might help my brain come up with more informative words to guess, but i usually only reach that level of desperation like 50-70 guesses in.

did anyone else get #93? if so how did you get on and did you think it was the hardest yet?

what i want to know, is how the fuck people are taking 48 guesses if they have 70% accuracy?

If you're aiming for high accuracy it's pretty easy. "Which", "can", "be", etc. I always aimed for a low guess count and didn't care about accuracy, so I tended to avoid words like those.

I'm taking a break from these. They are so time- consuming!

Last edited: