• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Relapse Relapsed and not very happy about it

Specified

Ex-Bluelighter
Ok I'm trying to get clean but I relapsed today. Where do I go to from here? I got a fair amount from outta the bin..not a bin your thinking of..it's a plastic bag.

i've removed the double post.

don't beat yourself up about a lapse. it happens. what's important is to not let your brain capitalise on it to think that its not worth trying to get clean. try to use it as a learning experience- think about what caused the lapse. you'll have a new day tomorrow, try not to use. can you dispose of anything you have left?

Double post not sure how it happened mods delete it
i've removed the double post.

don't beat yourself up about a lapse. it happens. what's important is to not let your brain capitalise on it to think that its not worth trying to get clean. try to use it as a learning experience- think about what caused the lapse. you'll have a new day tomorrow, try not to use. can you dispose of anything you have left?
I can...it just depends on a few certain things

right now, it doesn't depend on anything but your own will. and every extra day you use, the more those old neural pathways will get fired up, and the less of a choice you'll have. so the longer you leave getting sober, the harder it will be.

Don’t beat yourself dude and try sobriety again tomorrow. Almost everyone in recovery relapses. That’s all part of recovery. Try to remember your successes with past clean time, do it again. It’s not helpful to dwell in these setbacks. That’s really easy to do where you just say, “fuck it, I guess I can’t quit”. As long as you have a desire to stop, you are making progress in recovery.

Do you have a sober support network? If you don’t get one sooner than later. People with strong sober support networks are the most successful. Without one, you have a zero percent chance of success. You need real life people in your life to help you stay clean. I hate AA/NA but they are everywhere and have people that have a desire to stay clean. SMART recovery is also a good place to look for a sober support network and they are not a cult like AA/NA. These support networks are essential to develop if you have any chance recover. This will take real effort on your part. You worked real hard to get high and drunk (right?) It will take a little bit of hard work on your part to stay clean (right?) This how recovery works.
I understand what your saying but this is how I feel about N/A in no way is this how would you say a "diss" to N/A

right now, it doesn't depend on anything but your own will. and every extra day you use, the more those old neural pathways will get fired up, and the less of a choice you'll have. so the longer you leave getting sober, the harder it will be.
yeah true

How long were you clean for roughly and what led up to using again?
What's the drug?

How much did you have?

Are you planning on having a bit of a bender ?

Man, the thing about drug lapses and all the bullshit agonising over it is being honest with yourself about your intentions to "stay clean".

Is that what your goal is or are you just maintaining occasional use?

I pick up every now and again, given I was using habitually for an extended period about a year or two ago then ceased- a couple of dots a month I'm good with.

Its no big deal, just a couple of days and you'll be over the shit anyway .

No big deal, really.

Don’t beat yourself dude and try sobriety again tomorrow. Almost everyone in recovery relapses. That’s all part of recovery. Try to remember your successes with past clean time, do it again. It’s not helpful to dwell in these setbacks. That’s really easy to do where you just say, “fuck it, I guess I can’t quit”. As long as you have a desire to stop, you are making progress in recovery.

Do you have a sober support network? If you don’t get one sooner than later. People with strong sober support networks are the most successful. Without one, you have a zero percent chance of success. You need real life people in your life to help you stay clean. I hate AA/NA but they are everywhere and have people that have a desire to stay clean. SMART recovery is also a good place to look for a sober support network and they are not a cult like AA/NA. These support networks are essential to develop if you have any chance recover. This will take real effort on your part. You worked real hard to get high and drunk (right?) It will take a little bit of hard work on your part to stay clean (right?) This how recovery works.
What were you laughing at? Dr, West?

How long were you clean for roughly and what led up to using again?
What's the drug?

How much did you have?

Are you planning on having a bit of a bender ?

Man, the thing about drug lapses and all the bullshit agonising over it is being honest with yourself about your intentions to "stay clean".

Is that what your goal is or are you just maintaining occasional use?

I pick up every now and again, given I was using habitually for an extended period about a year or two ago then ceased- a couple of dots a month I'm good with.

Its no big deal, just a couple of days and you'll be over the shit anyway .

No big deal, really.
I can't remember...I take benzo's so they affect my memory.

Meth is the drug...and Alprazolam if I can get my hands on it.

no not planning on having a bender I can control my use (I know everyone says that but I really can, I had half a point about 1-2 weeks ago)
I know I have it under control don't I don't know the word worry" about me?

I don’t like cults like AA/NA at all. The only cult I’m interested is the one that is of my own design and me as it’s leader and savior. AA did accidentally stumble upon the notion of addicts helping other addicts get sober. You don’t need AA/NA to get sober, but you do need build a strong sober network if you want any success staying sober (at least for a little while). All I know is most people don’t become addicts overnight, and it would be foolish to think you can become sober (and what that mean to you) overnight. Recovery is a process, and it is a hell of a lot easier with people that help you through it.

That’s the best I got for @Specified.
Fuckin' Psychiatrists, as well can't stand em

All good I can't take any for 2 weeks
but earlier I bought a bottle of whiskey. don't even like alcohol dunno why I drink it. small buzzz for an hour I guess

Last edited:
im a fuckin' mess I can't even add basic maths....i was always like that but this puts the icing on the cake

I don’t like cults like AA/NA at all. The only cult I’m interested is the one that is of my own design and me as it’s leader and savior. AA did accidentally stumble upon the notion of addicts helping other addicts get sober. You don’t need AA/NA to get sober, but you do need build a strong sober network if you want any success staying sober (at least for a little while). All I know is most people don’t become addicts overnight, and it would be foolish to think you can become sober (and what that mean to you) overnight. Recovery is a process, and it is a hell of a lot easier with people that help you through it.

That’s the best I got for @Specified.

"All I know is most people don’t become addicts overnight, and it would be foolish to think you can become sober (and what that mean to you) overnight."

Isn't that actually paraphrased from one of the NA pamphlets? It sounds familiar. :D (EDIT: right I was thinking of the line "We didn’t become addicted in one day, so remember – easy does it." from who what how and why)

I agree though. 12 step programs aren't perfect. But they provide sober support that can relate to what we go through (because they are us) and that can be invaluable.

It's a near certainty that you will relapse. Even after years people relapse. You just gotta keep trying. <3

Last edited:
The most important thing when relapsing is realising that it doesnt have to mean full blown disaster.

Be gentle and kind to yourself, how long did you go before relapsing? Whether it was a year, a month or even just one day then sit back and give yourself a pat on the back. Instead of looking at the situation and thinking 'im such an idiot I got this far and fucked it up etc etc', be kind to yourself and instead think 'I did so well to get that far before I hit a bump in the road, if i can do it once i can do it again and i can do even better next time if I have the self-awareness to realise how I got that clean time, and what led me to relapsing'.

Turn the anger at yourself for relapsing in to a celebration that you managed that length of clean time, and then DO THE WORK to examine the good things you did that helped you and the mistakes you made that led you back to the relapse. If you can do that then theres no reason that this relapse isnt just the start of an even longer and better period of clean time.

Congratulations on how far you managed to get before relapsing, now you have that experience you are a stronger person and you can do even better next time.

A relapse is part of the game dont let it freak you out . The shorter the relapse the better if it opium related the more days it is for me 3 then im back to square one keep it short dont let it get you down most people relapse you are trying now atleast and not happy to waste years on the shit good luck