RIP Ann Shulgin - "the Queen of Psychedelics"

Rest in peace, Ann Shulgin, who co-authored the books "PiHKAL" and "TiKHAL" with her husband, psychedelic pioneer Alexander Shulgin.

bluelight.org will continue to celebrate the amazing work of the Shulgins. Farewell Ann, may you be with Sasha once more.

annshulgin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rest in peace Ann shulgin. I was lucky enough to have attended a invitational lecture/q and a when you and Sasha travelled to Trinity college Dublin to enlighten my countrymen and women. Thank you both wherever you are for opening minds and changing lives. There will never be equals. Thank you.

RIP Ann Shulgin :)
It's sad that we are waving goodbye to the last of the most influential wave of psychedelic pioneers.
The door is almost shut on arguably the most pivotal generation.
Within that period of time, perhaps only a decade or more (maybe even less come to think of it), doors were truly opened and a very unique set of characters walked through them to gift the world with transformational knowledge and opportunities that we may not see again for a long time. This was in a time in history where society and culture was firmly shifted but both embraced the shifts, for a while anyway. Things were different and the things you could do back then you could never dream of doing today. Although now suffocated with red tape and politics, during that time was a space that changed the way we see ourselves, the world and our understanding of both. That was all that was needed, just that small space in time! In this rare and unique window of time, things truly changed. Those changes we are still benefiting from today, particularly in the advancement of understanding psychedelics and their medicinal benefits. When it comes to Sasha and Ann, I don't think there really has been anybody who has offered so much to advancing the discovery, experimentation and scientific understanding of psychedelics.

Amazing to think a couple could create some of the most important literature on the subject of psychedelics, most of it done from the comfort of their own home. That is unheard of today! As far as I'm aware, there's not one scientist involved in modern research who doesn't own a copy of Pihkal and Tihkal. I have read through both and although I'll never understand what some of it means, I recognize the importance and value it has had on the world. Blows me away to think one man and his wife could pave so many roads to so many different areas of interest powered by their personal determination and interests.

As someone born in the nineties, I can't help but to think during Sasha and Ann's time, the world was very much a different place.
I don't want to say 'better' because I think that's too strong and also spurious. What is 'better'? You would have to spend a very long time really doing that question justice and I think you'll always find that idealism soon makes way for facts, some of them you don't want to acknowledge out of bias towards an ideal period in time. There are many things we have today we didn't have back then. But there were also opportunities back then you would never have now and sure, the establishment will tell you that those opportunities shouldn't have happened. It was because things weren't regulated like they are today, it's because there were loopholes and because dealing with the FDA was different etc.

It's fitting that appears to be the case while at the same time, the first few generations of psychedelic pioneers and their work is still the work we are building from today. We have FFMRI, we have PET. We have neuroscience and pharmacology. We have a staunch recognition and grounding in empirical research and research methodology (scared to make the same errors that were made in lots of the sixties research). But we don't have a world where innovation, collaboration and exploration is liberated and that is what sent the message out to the world that this stuff really works! I find it surreal that I have to go back to before I was born, sometimes a good decade or so, just to find out about certain things.

Really shows just how influential those times were the establishment put a stop to.
So glad during that time people like Sasha and Ann helped to transform the world with their offerings!

Can't remember if I was in Tihkal or Pihkal but she wrote a chapter called "The Spiral" which I've never forgot & had the same experience several hundred times in my youth.

She did some amazing work.
Got my copy of Pihkal open right now, the experience I share with her is chapter 16, page 99.

If anyone else had this experience I'd be very eager to have a chat with you about it. Feel free to message me.

RIP ANN and ALEXANDER as well; Thank you so very very much for all the hard work and creation of THOSE MAGIC KEYS... so we can truly experience wonderful feelings and things never capable before. Pray Heaven is an endless music festival and allot like what you and your husband gave the world. :hear4t::bean:🥳🥳🥳🥳

Rest in peace, Ann Shulgin, who co-authored the books "PiHKAL" and "TiKHAL" with her husband, psychedelic pioneer Alexander Shulgin.

bluelight.org will continue to celebrate the amazing work of the Shulgins. Farewell Ann, may you be with Sasha once more.

annshulgin.jpg

There is peace in those eyes. I don't know, I know that sounds dumb lol. but her smile and demeanor bring some sense of peace... Maybe that's what it is :) Thanks for sharing!

Oh and also, I'd like a little help from the BL community who may be well versed in these awesome people. I have heard a lot about the husband. Are there any good documentaries or books on Alex and Ann? Are the "PiHKAL" and "TiKHAL" books the way to go for someone mostly interested in their prose and if it is entertaining or more just scientific properties and of all these substances they synthd...?

I wonder how my psychedelic use will effect my thoughts and on death (If I get to old age of course. There is no guarantee you score some Denny's and AARP perks).

I digress, cheers all!

RIP Anne and if she helped work on 2C-B that was awesome experience back few years ago. Loved that and having done pure XTC and done some purple micro dots long long ago at some Heavy Metal Concerts --like somebody manage to combine them perfectly but more mild hit. Yeah can say that was memorable and awesome it was made...Hope she and Alexander are in total bliss in Heaven and no question LOVE MUST BE UNIMAGINABLE there like 1000x MOLLY could give! 🌈

annshulgin.jpg

annshulgin.jpg
Rest in peace Ann, You and your husband were the true first psychonauts of the generation, and made sooooo many contributions to the world of empathogenics and psychedelics. Not to mention stimulants as well. You guys must have had such a blast trying all those compounds Alexander Shulginnwhipoed up in the lab, and I'm sure some not so fun experiences along the way to finding the optimal dose. But man, id kill to have been able to meet you and pick your brains about psychoactive drug chemistry and pharmacology. You two were truly pioneers of your Time and the drug world wouldn't be the same without your contributions. You showed the world that not all drugs are bad, and can be used in both responsible and positive ways. I just wish the world had listened a little bit more. Best wishes and condolences to your family and loved ones. There will never be a set of pioneers as brave and introspective as you two. Rest in glorious, psychedelic, heavily peace ❤️

I never was able to get my hands on either book due to regulations, but I was lucky enough to read them online at least.
Thank you for your inspired and impactful work, I hope you and Sasha have found happiness in your next life. RIP.
Kindle has PIHKAL of which I an reading today. RIP Both and Thank you for your gift to all those who open the door

annshulgin.jpg
Ann will be missed. She was a wonderful fascinating woman.

RIP Ann Shulgin :)
It's sad that we are waving goodbye to the last of the most influential wave of psychedelic pioneers.
The door is almost shut on arguably the most pivotal generation.
Within that period of time, perhaps only a decade or more (maybe even less come to think of it), doors were truly opened and a very unique set of characters walked through them to gift the world with transformational knowledge and opportunities that we may not see again for a long time. This was in a time in history where society and culture was firmly shifted but both embraced the shifts, for a while anyway. Things were different and the things you could do back then you could never dream of doing today. Although now suffocated with red tape and politics, during that time was a space that changed the way we see ourselves, the world and our understanding of both. That was all that was needed, just that small space in time! In this rare and unique window of time, things truly changed. Those changes we are still benefiting from today, particularly in the advancement of understanding psychedelics and their medicinal benefits. When it comes to Sasha and Ann, I don't think there really has been anybody who has offered so much to advancing the discovery, experimentation and scientific understanding of psychedelics.

Amazing to think a couple could create some of the most important literature on the subject of psychedelics, most of it done from the comfort of their own home. That is unheard of today! As far as I'm aware, there's not one scientist involved in modern research who doesn't own a copy of Pihkal and Tihkal. I have read through both and although I'll never understand what some of it means, I recognize the importance and value it has had on the world. Blows me away to think one man and his wife could pave so many roads to so many different areas of interest powered by their personal determination and interests.

As someone born in the nineties, I can't help but to think during Sasha and Ann's time, the world was very much a different place.
I don't want to say 'better' because I think that's too strong and also spurious. What is 'better'? You would have to spend a very long time really doing that question justice and I think you'll always find that idealism soon makes way for facts, some of them you don't want to acknowledge out of bias towards an ideal period in time. There are many things we have today we didn't have back then. But there were also opportunities back then you would never have now and sure, the establishment will tell you that those opportunities shouldn't have happened. It was because things weren't regulated like they are today, it's because there were loopholes and because dealing with the FDA was different etc.

It's fitting that appears to be the case while at the same time, the first few generations of psychedelic pioneers and their work is still the work we are building from today. We have FFMRI, we have PET. We have neuroscience and pharmacology. We have a staunch recognition and grounding in empirical research and research methodology (scared to make the same errors that were made in lots of the sixties research). But we don't have a world where innovation, collaboration and exploration is liberated and that is what sent the message out to the world that this stuff really works! I find it surreal that I have to go back to before I was born, sometimes a good decade or so, just to find out about certain things.

Really shows just how influential those times were the establishment put a stop to.
So glad during that time people like Sasha and Ann helped to transform the world with their offerings!
Thank you for this