• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Risperidone to sleep after amphetamines

surge

Bluelighter
Hi guys. I bought some new speed and this works good. The problem here is that 20 hours passed since my dose (a little bit higher than the therapeutic range, so nothing dramatic) and I didn't sleep all night long, even now I don't feel like going to sleep. I'm not tired so for my living it is not a problem, but I know it is not responsible since the body needs sleep to consolidate memory and not having psychosis... I know melatonin can help, but I tried it and it doesn't completely prevent speed "comedown" if we can call it in this way: I still need to force myself to sleep. Maybe with success this time, but it is not pleasant. Can I use risperidone or aripriprazole to block excess dopamine from agonizing the receptors and so completely prevent the comedown and going to sleep like always? Of course I prefer anything over benzodiazepines cause I don't like to cure only the syntomps and anyway they have tolerance, etc... Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes in theory the risperidone might help in theory but i do not recommend it unless you are accustomed to taking it. I hate the zombie feeling of risperidone. I took it once and never will again.

Much better is quetiapine. It's the only antipsychotic I'd take and works wonders for stimulant comedown.

Yes in theory the risperidone might help in theory but i do not recommend it unless you are accustomed to taking it. I hate the zombie feeling of risperidone. I took it once and never will again.

Much better is quetiapine. It's the only antipsychotic I'd take and works wonders for stimulant comedown.
Well I have just aripiprazole and risperidone in my house. I think risperidone will be my first chose since it is an antagonist and not a partial agonist like aripiprazole so it should induce more sleep aka zombie feeling, but I think it would be beneficial in this case. Also risperidone has a 20 hours half life which is perfect for this purpose, contrary to aripiprazole which is much longer. But yes quetinapine is the best chose even for half life etc... Since it is even less. Unfortunately I don't have it. Btw I already tried risperidone for other stuff; I know this zombie feeling, but it didn't bothered me much since my thoughts slowed down and I didn't had the chance to complain about it lol (I took it only twice, but theorically the body should adapt to side effects).

Last edited:
What about sedating antihistamines as an alternative? Doxylamine or promethazine (among others) aren't bad for this purpose, up to a point: it's really a question of how intensely stimulated you still are.

It's kind of the same concept as using antipsychotics for this purpose, but milder and safer. At a certain point, the two classes blend together, like alimemazine (trimeprazine) into levomepromazine (methotrimeprazine).

What about sedating antihistamines as an alternative? Doxylamine or promethazine (among others) aren't bad for this purpose, up to a point: it's really a question of how intensely stimulated you still are.

It's kind of the same concept as using antipsychotics for this purpose, but milder and safer. At a certain point, the two classes blend together, like alimemazine (trimeprazine) into levomepromazine (methotrimeprazine).
Risperidone is also prescribed to agitated children lol (psychiatrists are crazy), so it is pretty safe anyway. Why should I use a drug that partially work if antipsychotics completely prevents it (by targeting the dopaminergic system)?

Last edited:
Risperidone is also prescribed to agitated children lol, so it is pretty safe anyway. Why should I use a drug that partially work if antipsychotics completely prevents it?
The potential for it to give you a groggy hangover and interfere with any stimulants you might take the next day, I guess. Risperidone is pretty safe and never did me any harm, but EPS and TD are real side effects of the drug, even if the risk is low.

I personally like to err on the milder side when it comes to APs and related sedatives, but it's 100% your prerogative of course...

The potential for it to give you a groggy hangover and interfere with any stimulants you might take the next day, I guess. Risperidone is pretty safe and never did me any harm, but EPS and TD are real side effects of the drug, even if the risk is low.

I personally like to err on the milder side when it comes to APs and related sedatives, but it's 100% your prerogative of course...
Thanks, understood.

Since the stimulation is wearing off I decided to not take any medications other than 5 mg of melatonin today and forced myself to sleep. Unfortunately it wasn't enough because I dreamed for like 30 minutes and then I woke up again, probably I should take a full recommended dose of 12 mg. Btw with this little sleep I got an idea. I think commercial available dopamine-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (bupropion) might work better than antipsychotics, because the last one blocks the receptor from agonizing but the dopamine is still released, by blocking the DAT the dopamine is not released anymore (because amphetamines make DAT works in reverse). With this no more neurotoxicity (because DRI have been found to protect againt it) and also bye shit stimulation and wasted dopamine. Probably though the effect will not be immediate like quetiapine, this is more like a medication to take right after the good part of the stimulation and then after some hours go to sleep like always (without feeling any effect of the amphetamines). I will try it and I will let you know if nobody tried it first.

Last edited:
Since the stimulation is wearing off I decided to not take any medications other than 5 mg of melatonin today and forced myself to sleep. Unfortunately it wasn't enough because I dreamed for like 30 minutes and then I woke up again, probably I should take a full recommended dose of 12 mg. Btw with this little sleep I got an idea. I think commercial available dopamine-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (bupropion) might work better than antipsychotics, because the last one blocks the receptor from agonizing but the dopamine is still released, by blocking the DAT the dopamine is not released anymore (because amphetamines make DAT works in reverse). With this no more neurotoxicity (because DRI have been found to protect againt it) and also bye shit stimulation and wasted dopamine. Probably though the effect will not be immediate like quetiapine, this is more like a medication to take right after the good part of the stimulation and then after some hours go to sleep like always (without feeling any effect of the amphetamines). I will try it and I will let you know if nobody tried it first.
I take bupropion daily. When I crash it really helps calm me down. Way less anxiety.

I think it would further stimulate you at the tail end of a speed trip. I doubt it would displace amphetamine from dopamine vesicles.

Amphetamine doesn't reverse DAT, it reverses the VMAT transporters in intracellular vesicles, and neurotransmitters cross the cell membrane by mass action. Anecdotally combining dopamine reuptake inhibitors with releasers results in additive effects.

Furthermore buproprion doesn't have a very high affinity for the dopamine transporter, so a low portion would be bound after a dose.

Also it lowers the seizure threshold a decent amount; i wouldn't use it for your stated purpose.

Honestly I'm on team sedating antihistamine. No need to risk tardive dyskinesia just to come down.

This isn't a new problem and all of the common options (seroquel, benzos, antihistamines) are common for a reason.